Home Main Category General Firearms

If you had this scope sitting on a shelf...

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,811 Senior Member
what would you be inclined to do with it?

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight2-hd-day-night-rifle-scope-3-14x

Short story long, I sold the AR I had this thing on. I almost never used it for anything, and the sale of the gun brought in almost half of what I spent on the new rifle I have on order.

So, I had this scope left over.  After removing it from the sold AR, I put it on my Savage Axis in 308 Win.  I have the LR308 that can take care of other work where I want to use that cartridge. And I took the Nikon off the Axis and put it on my 243 Win, as that was an upgrade for that rifle.  Now, for the down sides.  That scope made the Axis pretty heavy.  Which it will do on any gun it goes on.  The scope itself weighs over 5 pounds, all set up with external battery pack and IR torch. 

Also, the Axis has a muzzle brake on it.  From experience on the AR, which also had a brake, they don't play very well with the scope in night vision mode.  Muzzle blast blinds the scope for a few seconds after the shot.  Probably not as big of a deal on a bolt gun as a semi auto.  The scope can have some time to get it's eyes back while I'm running the bolt.  On the AR, I had to just sit there and wait for it to come back, ready to fire again the whole time.

Since the scope has Bluetooth capability, I'm able to pair it with my rangefinder.  With ballistic info entered and trued, I can then use the rangefinder to automatically set the scope for the given range.  Which I've checked out to 300 yards so far and it seems to work.  That could be a plus using the Axis.  Finally, I already own the Axis and don't have to spend any more money on it to use it like this.  

My other thought was to maybe get a bolt action 22lr to put the scope on, where it could be used for night time varmint work.  That should also take care of the muzzle flash blindness problems.  But it would also pretty much make my rangefinder only useful out to a reasonable distance for the cartridge.  Still, that option kinda makes me wonder.. But, this option would require me to buy another gun.  Even after selling one and deciding not to buy a muzzleloader for deer season, the rifle I just ordered and all the stuff to go with it put a dent in the gun fund for a little bit.

So, figured I'd let ya'll go with it and maybe come up with ideas or thoughts on my thinking.

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,831 Senior Member
    Sell it and pay for the other half of the new toy!!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,811 Senior Member
    Even if I could get what a paid for it, which we know isn't happening, it wouldn't bring in enough to make half of the new toy..  :D  Besides, where's the fun in that!!! 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    .22lr sounds like fun. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    .22lr sounds like fun. 
    Every time I have coyotes running around my place, that idea really starts to gain some momentum.  Supressed would be even more fun..
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    I would put it on something that's already heavy. Maybe something suppressed. Like this:

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    .22lr sounds like fun. 
    Every time I have coyotes running around my place, that idea really starts to gain some momentum.  Supressed would be even more fun..
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    .22lr sounds like fun. 
    Seems like you already know the answer
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Go buy yourself a bolt gun in 204. It will give you a great varmint/coyote rig with that scope on it and will utilise the 300yd range well. With varmint projectiles it will take care of small stuff and with 45gr sp's it will deal to coyotes and other game including hogs (.....with good shot placement.)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    I have mine on a Mossberg MVP Patrol in .223.  While it makes that gun heavy and not the light, handy gun it was designed to be- it makes it a not unreasonable package for nighttime varmints.  I put the suppressor on it, and it's a sitting bi-pod kind of gun.

In your situation, either do the .22LR you want to do, or get an AR upper in some off the wall caliber (450 Bushmaster?) to smack stuff down.

BTW, I use mine much more in daylight than I do at night.  It is kinda neat to stream the shot to a tablet, and record as well.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Here is the AR I just took it off of.

edited June 2 #11
    I have a 450 Bushmaster.. That could be worth an experiment.  The muzzle blast on that one would likely also make it a one shot at a time thing as well.  But the extra weight could tame the recoil on it a bit, too...

I do lean a little more toward the 22lr idea.  If for no other reason, it wouldn't alert people around my place close enough to hear quite as much as a 204 or other centerfire rifle would.

But, there's nothing that says I have to use this thing around my house, either. It's just an idea.

Really, since buying this scope mainly as a toy, I've pretty much come to the realization that that's exactly what it is.  It does some stuff pretty well, but does nothing very well.  Kinda my sticking point that's causing me to ponder it a little about what could make it more effective. The AR thing kinda didn't do it for me. Would have been much better if the muzzle blast didn't blind it every shot.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,322 Senior Member
    An old buddy of mine pretty much eradicated coyotes on his property with one of those and a suppressed .223 sitting on his back deck at night overlooking his pasture with a big deer gut and carcass pile that many of us neighbors contributed to.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

There's a spot about 3 miles from my place where dead cattle are dumped fairly regularly.  Usually good coyote spot.  Last few times I've been by there, someone else was in the area.  Popular spot for plinkers during the day and drinkers after sundown... I have a few other, less occupied spots out there too.  Water tanks make good spots this time of year.  Not many places to find water out there.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    Take the brake off the Axis?  With that much weight added, it would negate some of the need for one.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Zee said:
    .22lr sounds like fun. 
    Longer barrels and subsonic ammo.  The poor man's or restricted state's option.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    You two guys are starting to intercept my brain waves... Trying the Axis with no brake and maybe some subsonic Trail Boss loads for around the house is an idea. Or a Savage 22lr bolt gun, Accutrigger, and subsonic ammo for around the house... Until a suppressor for either cartridge is acquired... 🤔
    Since it’s already on the Axis, guess I might as well give it a go and see what happens... 
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    Sub-sonic rifle ammo sucks yam sacks. But hey........give it a go. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Jay said:
    You two guys are starting to intercept my brain waves... Trying the Axis with no brake and maybe some subsonic Trail Boss loads for around the house is an idea. Or a Savage 22lr bolt gun, Accutrigger, and subsonic ammo for around the house... Until a suppressor for either cartridge is acquired... 🤔
    You could just try a condom 😁

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Yes!  That’s perfect!  Why didn’t I think of that?... 😆
    Jay said:
    Yes!  That’s perfect!  Why didn’t I think of that?... 😆
    I can’t take credit for that one 😁

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    Make sure you fill out all the paperwork and pay the fees first......'cause you know ATF is watching.....
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    Make sure you fill out all the paperwork and pay the fees first......'cause you know ATF is watching.....
    Crap... There’s a black Suburban parked in front of my house...

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,071 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    Uh-oh, there's a Suburban parked in front of my house too.....wait, it's mine!  :D
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    Sell it and pay for the other half of the new toy!!

I know what I'd do with it, I'd slap it back on a .308 so fast it'd make your head spin and go hog huntin' !
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Jay said:
    Uh-oh, there's a Suburban parked in front of my house too.....wait, it's mine!  :D
    🤣🤣

The new toy should be in today. Provided I'm able to pick it up, I'm going to try to go out early Sunday morning before it gets crazy hot.  I'll be taking the Axis out with the ATN scope on it to zero and see how I like it.  If I don't care for it much, I'll probably be looking at picking up a 22 to put it on.  Either a 10-22 that I can modify a little or some sort of Savage bolt gun with accutrigger.
    Also, if I decide the Axis is ok with this scope, I might have to try it at night with a standard flash hider installed upside down to see if that helps with muzzle flash blinding the scope.