Home Main Category General Firearms

The new 6mm ARC....????

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,846 Senior Member
edited June 3 in General Firearms #1
I just received an email containing information about Hornady's new round.the 6mm ARC (Advanced Rifle Cartridge)

In researching it a little, seems a LOT like a 6.5 Grendel necked to 6mm.

In the hornady flier I saw, they list its benefits over different rounds already on the market.

Here's their comparison to my beloved Grendel. I'm not sure I agree with the "wider assortment of bullets" but I guess they needed something to differentiate it.

6.5 Grendel • The 6mm ARC delivers comparable performance from a wider assortment of bullets, making it a more versatile choice.

With them admitting it it has similar performance, I'll stick with my 6.5 Grendel
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    This cartridge has been discussed on the Grendel forum since the SAAMI drawings became public.  The wider assortment would probably be based on it being designed from the start to use some of the heaviest .243 bullets.  The Grendel kinda tops out in the mid range of .264 bullets.  If it turns out to be a decent option I will probably pick one up.  Couple hundred FPS slower than .243 Win. and hopefully easier on the barrel.  The faster twist rate allows the heavy .243 where my .243 Win. is about out of bullet weight at 95gr.  It does well with some 100gr, but not all and the 103 ELD-X is a complete no go.  If memory is correct the 6mm ARC is SAAMI speced with a 105gr.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    Win 308
    • The 6mm ARC delivers substantially less recoil allowing shooters to spot their own shots.
    • The AR-15 platform features a higher magazine capacity.
    • The 6mm ARC offers a 30 to 35% lighter-weight package (gun and ammo).
    223/5.56
    • The 6mm ARC achieves substantially better ballistics than the 223/5.56. It delivers less drop, less wind deflection and the ability to shoot accurate groups at much greater distance (1000+ yds).
    224 Valkyrie
    • The 6mm ARC gives hunters the ability to successfully hunt varmints and deer.
    • The 6mm ARC produces a larger splash signature that allows shooters to self-spot impacts and make rapid adjustments.
    6.5 Grendel
    • The 6mm ARC delivers comparable performance from a wider assortment of bullets, making it a more versatile choice.
    6.8 SPC
    • The 6mm ARC is a better long-range performer.

STICKING WITH MY 6.5 GRENDEL

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    My only ar rifle is a 223. I have been considering something else. I will put this one down for consideration. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    It looks like it's more of the same.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    6mm Rem. Does about anything you could expect from a true 6mm anything. My 6mm interests are 6mm BR, .243 Win, and the 6mm Rem. Past that......7mm has a lot more interesting variations.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    Im sure its better than a .270 though.....

Given the AR design limitations, this will be a slightly neutered cartridge.  6.5 Grendel is the same.  If I surpass SAAMI specs I can get a lot more performance out of 6.5G in my bolt gun than I would be able to in an AR.  The 6.5G is 52K PSI SAAMI maximum average pressure.  10K PSI less than the Creedmoor and 1,000 PSI above the 6.5x55.  6mm ARC is also limited to 52K compared to the 6mm Remington at 65k and .243 at 60K.  Given the reduced pressure and smaller case capacity, its amazing the little guys can even get to the velocities they do.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #11
    Those of you who disprect the .270 Win need to  take your candy, go upstairs with the kids, and leave the serious talk to us adults.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    My apologies, Im sure its better than a 6.8 SPC though.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,702 Senior Member
    Kind of a yawn to me right now, but if it takes off and gets solidified in the market I may consider an AR Upper as a toy.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Has potential. 
    Being at the top half of the .243 bullets instead of at the middle/bottom of the 6.5 cal. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Similar to a 6 PPC or a 6mm Grendel?
    Fast twist barrel and it will no doubt do good.
    In a G-2 I picked the 224 Valkyrie over the 6.5 Grendel.
    From what I can see here I would pick this cartridge over both, if it can be fired safely in a G-2.
    I have a lefty 6.8 AR...maybe a 6 ARC in the future
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited June 8 #16
    The G2 Contender has potential!
    Hadn’t thought of that. 
    Well, That is the first thing I thought of....Plus it is always nice to enable here and there as well B)
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited June 8 #18
    Just saw that Glen is putting an AR out already...Another upper for my AR-pistol would be cool. 
    I need to go to sleep.
    Tomanyprojectsintheworksalready
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    SAAMI instrumental velocity is a 108gr at 2700 FPS and a 1:7.5" twist rate.  I think it will do alright with just about any .243 bullet available now.
    Not really interested in a gas gun with this cartridge. I’m set for those niches. 

But a pistol..........with a fast twist......nice. 
    I know they’re gonna be doing barrels for the G2, and maybe even for the contender
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    The 224 Valkyrie seemed to be a dud from an accuracy perspective.  

It will be interesting to see how this cartridge works for people.  
    edited June 11 #23
    Not saying I’m actually gonna buy one, but.........for you Grendel owners.......let me explain whay there is an appeal. 
    The Grendel plays in the lower/mid range of 6.5cal bullets. Lower BC and Velocity. 
    A castrated 6.5 some of us are unwilling to consider in a platform that has better options. 
    The 6 ARC promises to play at the upper end of Bullet selection for a caliber and therefore offer a nice selection of bullets to launch that make up a little ground for the lack of velocity. 
    The Grendel says, I handle mediocre bullets at mediocre velocity but I’m a 6.5 so you can try and feel good about yourself. Crap. 
    If the ARC allows ME the ability to play with upper end Bullets in a compact (Contender/G2) package and make up velocity with bullets ballistics......Hell Yeah!!!!!

Ill see your attempt and raise you results. 😉

Maybe. 😎
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    In a platform like a single shot pistol- what does this offer over a .243?

I can understand wanting to fit something “mo betta” into an AR platform. I can understand the micro bolt action... but in a single shot?  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    "The 6.5 Grendel was developed by Bill Alexander in 2002 and is quite possibly the most efficient cartridge ever to be chambered in the AR platform..."  Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 9th Edition page 285.

Suddenly its mediocre?
    I have a 6.5 Grendel, well actually two, and will probably end up with a 6mm ARC at some point.  I have no desire to own either cartridge in a semi auto platform though.
    In a platform like a single shot pistol- what does this offer over a .243?

I can understand wanting to fit something “mo betta” into an AR platform. I can understand the micro bolt action... but in a single shot?  
    It’s not better than a .242 Win, but you chant chamber a Contender/G2 in .233 Winchester. Only the Encore. So, this new one could be a way to get a nice 6mm in the small platform of the G2. 
    pjames777 said:
    "The 6.5 Grendel was developed by Bill Alexander in 2002 and is quite possibly the most efficient cartridge ever to be chambered in the AR platform..."  Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 9th Edition page 285.

Suddenly its mediocre?
    Not suddenly. 😁
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Soooooo. . .I'll maybe give this one a head scratch, and probably move on with my life.

The most noteworthy thing to me over the last three decades in the shooting industry is that we're getting better bullet designs.  I think the FBI's theories and protocols for effective bullet performance have spilled over from duty handguns and have started influencing construction of hunting rifle slugs.

The end result of this is that we're able to get terminal performance out of smaller rounds that we used to need bigger, heavier launch platforms to achieve.  The "Hogzilla" kill Zee made a couple years back with the 62 grain Barnes TSX 5.56 ammo I sent him is case in point for this.

So we're constantly getting new cartridges that are supposed to do this or that, but I have to ask if the thinking behind those cartridges is based on the new theories of bullet construction or the old.  If it's about a particular trajectory need, or local caliber restrictions, that's certainly understandable, but if all we're trying to do is fit an effective deer cartridge into a AR-15 magazine well, we have that with modern bullets in the original chambering that you can use for plinking with bulk-pack surplus.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I look at it more as a less costly way to shoot rifles.  I can shoot my 6.5G more for the same amount of money than my 6.5x55, and this should be the same compared to my .243.  It should also be easier on barrels than the .243 can be.  Dont bring up the cost of a new rifle.  We are supposed to be a group of enablers on this forum.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,346 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I look at it more as a less costly way to shoot rifles.  I can shoot my 6.5G more for the same amount of money than my 6.5x55, and this should be the same compared to my .243.  It should also be easier on barrels than the .243 can be.  Dont bring up the cost of a new rifle.  We are supposed to be a group of enablers on this forum.
    Don’t need a new rifle. A good upper will do the trick. Or a barrel swap.