Home Main Category General Firearms

Any "holes" in your collection?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 20,894 Senior Member
edited June 5 in General Firearms #1
The post I made about the new 6mm ARC's introduction got me to thinking about my rifle collection and what, if any, holes I had in it.

Small Game - Check
Varmint - Check
Short & Mid Range Target (500yds or less) - Check
Short & Mid Range hunting - Check
"Thumper" - Check

Now for the holes:

Big/dangerous game
LR Target
LR Hunting

There's the 8 categories that I could think of for rifles. 

So, what holes, if any, do you still have. Also, do you feel the need to fill any of yours.
Personally, The holes I have will probably remain because they're not activities I expect to ever participate in.

If you wish to add more than the 8 categories I listed feel free

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,767 Senior Member
    Something in .35 Remington. I have dies brass and bullets, haven't found the right one, yet!! B)
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 528 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Something in .35 Remington. I have dies brass and bullets, haven't found the right one, yet!! B)
    I hear opportunity knocking.....lol

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 528 Senior Member
    Holes maybe a really big thumper but no expected need.
    Almost bought a 416 Hoffman one time for that but I sobered up.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Yes!! A lever gun in .357 Mag or .44 Mag. Not having one keeps me up at night. 
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    Also, asking this bunch about “filling holes” should provide some great entertainment 😂...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    2Aman said:
    Also, asking this bunch about “filling holes” should provide some great entertainment 😂...

That's why I was VERY specific in my wording
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    No holes. Just wants. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,894 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #9
    Zee said:
    No holes. Just wants. 

That's pretty much where I am as well.

I can't think of a rifle based activity I can't participate in with what I already have. Though I have an itch for a 6.5CM

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    A sad and lonely hole void of a model 7 Remington rifle. Dark, and lacking love :'(

I also haven't had a lever rifle in decades......
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #11
    knitepoet said:
    The post I made about the new 6mm ARC's introduction got me to thinking about my rifle collection and what, if any, holes I had in it.

Small Game - Check
    Varmint - Check
    Short & Mid Range Target (500yds or less) - Check
    Short & Mid Range hunting - Check
    "Thumper" - Check

Now for the holes:

Big/dangerous game
    LR Target
    LR Hunting

There's the 8 categories that I could think of for rifles. 

So, what holes, if any, do you still have. Also, do you feel the need to fill any of yours.
    Personally, The holes I have will probably remain because they're not activities I expect to ever participate in.

If you wish to add more than the 8 categories I listed feel free

I'm sure there's a few holes but I'd have to have a hole in my head if I tried to fill them. I really have plenty of guns and don't shoot the ones I have enough to warrant more. But, that depends on my mood, LOL!!!
    Then again there's those damn Grail guns.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    I don't have a "big bore", but I've never needed one, nor do I expect to.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    I currently have no "Magnum" Rifle in my line up and no Pump shotgun
    Apart from that I'm covered from thumperish at 9.3  down to .22 in rifles to Semi, Over and Under and SXS in shotguns.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,160 Senior Member
    PROPER suppressive fire.  With a water jacket.  None of that sissy WWII-era air-cooled crap. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,434 Senior Member
    I lack something in .45 Colt.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,778 Senior Member
    I have nothing belt fed....nor a heavy double rifle...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    edited June 5 #17
    Yeah, no. That said I’m trying real hard to ignore the fact my LGS has a Spanish SxS 10 gauge with a greener cross lock action.... must resist, must resist. If I were to get it, big if, I would cut that sucker to 18.5 and call it good! 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,322 Senior Member
    I just became aware of the fact I lack a light sporter weigh .308.  Must remedy that.  I really don’t need another deer class rifle, got plenty in that class.  This is just a specific hole I’ve never had before and I can’t remember when it developed.  I think it was a new hunter in need of a rifle that caused it...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    I don't have a .308 bolt rifle. That's probably the next hole to be plugged unless a squirrel comes along. 

Also don't have what would be considered a big game rifle but doubt I will get one unless I get a hankering to go to Africa. 

If it can be considered a hole, I don't have an AR that fires a round starting with 0.4. 
    Elk creek said:
    Yeah, no. That said I’m trying real hard to ignore the fact my LGS has a Spanish SxS 10 gauge with a greener cross lock action.... must resist, must resist. If I were to get it, big if, I would cut that sucker to 18.5 and call it good! 
    There was a company...Zabala...that made those..
    3 1/2" 10 gauge...bored full & full...had one for a time and killed a LOT of waterfowl with it...after I has one barrel opened up to modified.... it was also a hellish 50 yard turkey gun...

In short it was a hell of a shotgun but damned expensive to feed...

I shudder to think about what a beast that thing would be with the barrels nipped off...part of what made the thing able to handle was the overall weight...
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    .35 Whelen covers from jackal to Kudu.  That takes care of a big chunk.  I have things that cover all catagories if needed to though.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    Nope----no holes-----I have a .327
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    Elk creek said:
    OH NO YOU WON’T!!!!!  You need to watch Appaloosa!  

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    That was an 8 gauge....
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,437 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    I own it, may have to give it another look...Mr Eight Gauge.....
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Jayhawker said:
    GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    That was an 8 gauge....
    Elk creek said:
    GunNut said:
    Elk creek said:
    I own it, may have to give it another look...Mr Eight Gauge.....
    Well I was close 🤣

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    I lived in New Haven for two years - used to stop for gas near the old Marlin (pre North Haven) plant.

i want a Mosberg, Marlin, and Winchester made there.  

I had a Winchester , but it was stolen.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,831 Senior Member
    No holes per say but wants. I want a 257 Roberts in a Browning model 81.
    I want a Ruger Frontier scout in 338 Federal, and I want a rifle with a 50 cal bore, I’ll be working on that one soon!
    I need a 44 spl in the worst way hopefully that will happen this year as well.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Good wheel gun in 38/357, and a 20 gauge pump or auto....otherwise pretty well covered minus a dangerous African game hunt.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 441 Member
    I'm strange in the way that I don't like rifle chamberings with a large bullet to smaller case ratio. Like the 350 legend, 35 Whelen and others that start to look like a straight wall cartridge. I prefer a good amount of case mouth taper. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,026 Senior Member
    .22LR revolver. Don’t own one
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov