Home Main Category General Firearms

Wait, that's a what?!?!? new custom toy...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
edited June 5 in General Firearms #1
Hey look it a Model 27!   

Wait, those holes look a little big...

Hummmm, is this a very confused Model 24?

That shoots .44 Magnums????????

Yep.  :D:

Details and story to follow.  I have to get back on my training call!

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,720 Senior Member
    Skeeter Skelton would be seriously po'd :open_mouth:

Unless its a good story :|
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,241 Senior Member
    It's a good story...  ;)

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,846 Senior Member
    DAMN I wish :popcorn: still worked
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    edited June 5 #5
    Thats awesome👍👍👍 Love the .44 special. So accurate. Cool custom job with the .44 mags.
    GunNut said:
    It's a good story...  ;)
    Finally some Friday excitement!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    So funny story... Some of you remember that a few weeks ago I posted about changing my model 27 from a 6" barreled one to a 4" barrel and I was wondering if it was something I could tackle myself.  Well one of our members who happens to be a professional Gunsmith (Justsomedude) PMd me and over a bunch of messages and then following phone calls he kindly took the time to explain to me why trying to do this myself without the proper equipment and training was just a BAD failure waiting to happen.  At the end we agreed that I would send him the parts and he would do the work for me so I would not ruin my gun.  I know my limitations so I gladly let him do what he does well!  GOD I love this place!!!

So here's the funny part, I'm a buyer of opportunity and I always have ideas in mind for projects that I want to tackle in the future.  I was trying to clean up a box of "parts" when I found some interesting stuff and the wheels started spinning.  I packed up the box and send it out and when the box got to him I got a very funny text message.  Hey, did you screw up and send the wrong parts?!?!?  

Nope... :D

Instead of the 4" barrel I sent him a brand new, never installed 6" Model 24 Target .44 bore barrel and a recessed .44 Magnum Model 29 Cylinder!

You see, I have little love for the .357 mag.  It's a nice round but I've never been the greatest fan for no good reason at all.  I only bought this 27 because it is a very nice gun and I got a great deal on it, but I've never really loved this gun, I just prefer bores starting with .4 on my handguns!  BUT, I also like lighter barrels, specially the old pencil thin ones.  Again not a big fan of the big honking tubes S&W has been throwing on their guns for decades no.  So I had bought both this barrel and cylinder with the idea that at some point I would have a light barrel .44 Mag built without all the extra weight in front.

So Justsomedude got a few chuckles and after making some measurements and tinkering a bit called me back and said, "Yeah we can make this happen!".  I love working with a guy who not only knows what he is doing but is also open to "out of the box".

Roll forward a few weeks and here she is.  A gun that S&W has never made and in my mind is the best of all worlds!!!  It's a light barrel but I still get the extended sighting plane.  It's a .44 Mag but should be a lot of fun with .44spl loads and the best part it's got this AWESOME ol'time look and feel to it!!!  I just LOVE the look of this gun!!!!!!

<3<3<3<3<3  

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,754 Senior Member
    Neat gun and a cool story!! One of a kind is always a plus!! 
    He did a beautiful job! Obviously a talented craftsman!

I think Skeeter would try to horse trade you out of it :D
    Skeeter Skelton would be seriously po'd :open_mouth:

Unless its a good story :|
    Well I hope you guys enjoyed it!

2Aman said:
    Thats awesome👍👍👍 Love the .44 special. So accurate. Cool custom job with the .44 mags.
    Thanks!

GunNut said:
    It's a good story...  ;)
    Finally some Friday excitement!
    Working hard to keep you guys entertained.  B)

Big Al1 said:
    Gun tease!! B)
     ;) 

Big Al1 said:
    Neat gun and a cool story!! One of a kind is always a plus!! 
    I love one of a kind guns.  That's why I had my own Mountain Gun built a few years back!  It's the best way to get EXACTLY what you want.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    That is nice

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    That is nice

Thanks Ernie!  One thing I love about this rig is the tall front sight blade has a factory gold raised dot on it.  EASY to see!!!!

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,297 Senior Member
    A Franken Wesson (you can use that)😉
    Beautiful gun and awesome story!
    Now you have to go to another forum, post the pics and ask "What have I got here?"😆
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    Justsomedude needs to flesh out the details......
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    PFD said:
    A Franken Wesson (you can use that)😉
    Beautiful gun and awesome story!
    Now you have to go to another forum, post the pics and ask "What have I got here?"😆
    Actually LMLarson was the one who put the idea into my head a looooooong time ago.  I think he has a Model 27 in .41Mag that our old member and good friend Calebib built for him.

CHIRO1989 said:
    Justsomedude needs to flesh out the details......
    He should be along shortly.  He was busy earlier on another build.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 418 Member
    Well I just now got home from work. Another long day as usual. I was tickled pink though when Enzo sent me a text earlier today letting me know the mail came and the gun arrived! It was definitely a fun project to take on for a change to break up the ho hum that im used to. It took me a solid work day to get it done, but it turned out really well. If I can remember all that I did, it included getting the barrel clocked right because with the cylinder removed and the barrel screwed on tight, it was nowhere near aligned so I had to set the shoulder on the barrel back by .004. Then once I did that, I had to get the throat shortened to proper length so that the cylinder would close and also have the proper cylinder gap. I ended up making a fixture with a .0002 slip fit with an expansion screw to set it up in the lathe and do that portion. I set the cylinder gap right at .004 which is ideal with most wheel guns. Then I had to recut the forcing cone at 11 degrees (5.5 on either side of the diameter). I also used my fixture in the lathe and a steady rest to do that. Last thing was getting the timing correct as it was advanced pretty good. You start to pull the hammer or trigger back and it would lock up solid so I removed the hand and did a little stoning to it and got the timing spot on. Thats usually an ordeal of coming apart and going  back together a few times. Oh, I almost forgot that I had to make new oak frame blocks to keep from tweeking the frame when loosening the bbl because I apparently lost my other set in moving to my new shop. Otherwise it turned out really good and it was nice to help out a fellow forum member that I've been fortunate enough to develop a friendship with over the past few weeks.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 418 Member
    Noth the greatest pic but here's the expanding fixture that I made and used. 
    Like I said, WELL beyond my capabilities!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    That is an amazing story and gun!!!!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,227 Senior Member
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    Very nicely done! Congrats and to Justsomedude, I tip my hat. Awesome work.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    It's confirmed...I hate you...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Elk creek said:
    That is an amazing story and gun!!!!
    I’ll be shooting it tomorrow!!’ 😁

JKP said:
    Neat project!
    Thanks!  Love guns that are “different”.

sakodude said:
    Very nicely done! Congrats and to Justsomedude, I tip my hat. Awesome work.
    Hugely talented guy!!!  I’m already putting together a list of projects for him!