Home Main Category General Firearms

She finally arrived...

245

Replies

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    I’m gonna enjoy our next visit for reasons other than my French Model. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #33
    If you are going to hunt with it, no crying about the first ding, thems the rules at my house when you buy nice wood them like that, looking forward to the yote report hey.

    Nice angle you parked that swather at :D, must have been daydreaming about guns.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #35
    CHIRO1989 said:
    If you are going to hunt with it, no crying about the first ding, thems the rules at my house when you buy nice wood them like that, looking forward to the yote report hey.

    Nice angle you parked that swather at :D, must have been daydreaming about guns.

    I don't know about him, but I'm always day dreaming about guns. If not guns, cars. lately I can't get a long range .270 out of my head or a 1961 Pontiac hard top (Bubble Top) with a 389 Tri Power and a B&M Hydro Stick out of my head. That would be one bad ass Old School Combo right there.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,308 Senior Member
    Beautiful rifle.  Congratulations.   YOU SUCK!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Nice......I hope you clowns stop with this 45-70 stuff soon.

    Amen! They've come down with the Quigley sendrome... Hey guys, there's limits on Bison nowdays. Relax and go deer hunting...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    That is just gorgeous.  You suck!
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:


    Nice angle you parked that swather at :D, must have been daydreaming about guns.
    🤣 There’s a railroad tie bridge that goes over a concrete irrigation ditch right there. It fell through... 😮 It’s out and the field is cut now... No more bridge..
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Ok. Little range report. It didn’t go as well as I hoped. But I learned a few things that should help next time. 

    Groups were less than impressive, to say the least. I pretty much sucked. It wasn’t the gun and I can’t necessarily say my loads were no good. I just have some learning to do with the whole tang sight setup. I also forgot to take cardboard with me. I had a white plastic cardboard sign I was shooting at last time, so went with that. It didn’t help with the low sun angle shining straight on it. It was REALLY hard to see the target through the sights due to the bright white glare. Next time, cardboard...

    Heres the loads I had ready to try. Chronograph at 10ft. All primed with Fed 210M primers. Book COAL, because I don’t have a modified case for my Hornady OAL gauge yet.

    350gr Berry’s plated bullet, 51gr H4895 = 1856 FPS
    Same bullet, 53gr H4895= 1994 FPS
    500gr Acme rnfp, 11gr Trail Boss= 833 FPS
    Same bullet, 12gr Trail Boss= 883 fps

    The 350 grain bullet at just about 2000 FPS stings the shoulder pretty good.. It gets unpleasant after 6 rounds or so.. I shot 18 of those loads, and I can feel it..

    The Trail Boss loads were too mild. I was going for a target velocity of about 1025 FPS. Obviously missed that goal. But, they shot ok. Definitely fun. The steel plate at 110 yards took 3 rounds before falling off the hangers to the ground... It smacks it pretty hard. 

    One thing I hoped I wouldn’t need was windage adjustment. Which brought up the first down side to this rifle. You have 2 methods for windage correction. Drift the front sight, or hold off. At 50 yards, it’s hitting about 6” right. At 100 yards, about about 10”. I didn’t have tools or a suitable bench to drift the sight, so I just went with it. 

    Also, at 100 yards, I’m having to run the tang sight pretty much all the way down. So much that I get the top edge of the receiver in the bottom of my sight picture. Should have plenty of elevation to get a few hundred yards out of it, at least..

    Some target pics in my next post. 
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Aside from the bright white cardboard, I also learned that my 1” scoped rifle paster targets are hard to see at 100 yards... So, I tried to adapt..

    This was using the same elevation adjustment I used at 50 yards. 

    Heres a few of the not so spectacular groups..

    Keep in mind, the pasters you see in the pic is not the ones I was aiming at. Poa was low, left outside of the pics. The target with 6 rounds was 2 groups. 51 and 53gr loads with the 350gr bullets. I forgot to take the tape down range with me after the first group... 🤪

    Plenty of pulled fliers and/or inconsistent bench technique between shots..

    I did manage to get one decent group, although not a load I’ll use..

  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Overall, I’m very happy with it. I have some learning to do with it. I didn’t even try any other front sight inserts. I went with the smaller of the two rear sight apertures and the circle front sight insert with the smallest hole in it. 

    But most importantly, I got some good info on my loads and where the rifle is hitting with the sights. I’ll do a little adjustment on the front sight for windage and work up so new loads for next time. I think I’ll see better results on target then. I’m also still waiting for my hollow point lead bullets to get here. Then it will be water jug time... 👍
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    You'll get it sorted out. Sunshine glare sucks as we get older. A few adjustments.........

    Anything that knocks the steel to the ground is worth some extra love.....
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Should have mentioned it earlier...You should really get a P.A.S,T. recoil shield to wear during range sessions.

    Don't ask me how I know..


    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    I have one. But it’s old and is the thinnest one they make. I didn’t put it on until I was well into the session.  Even then, it didn’t help. I’ll be picking up a thicker magnum PAST shield for next time.. Especially if I go with any heavier bullet, stout loads..
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Also, as far as the Berry’s bullets, I’ll tame those down a good bit. I’m exceeding their max recommended velocity of 1500 FPS with those loads. The load data I was using showed 55.2gr max with a jacketed fp out of a 24” barrel at 1900fps. Obviously I’m getting much more speed. I’ll slow them down some and help save my shoulder at the same time..
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    I have one. But it’s old and is the thinnest one they make. I didn’t put it on until I was well into the session.  Even then, it didn’t help. I’ll be picking up a thicker magnum PAST shield for next time.. Especially if I go with any heavier bullet, stout loads..
    The first time I started launching those 535 grain Postells the need became obvious...

    Even with Black Powder loads, where the recoil impulse is different, it can get pretty ouchy after a bit...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Wanted to order the OAL gauge modified case anyway. So I tossed a PAST Super Mag Plus in there’s while I was ordering. May be a little on the opposite extreme side from my thin Field one. But I’ll take all the help I can get... 😆
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    CHIRO1989 said:


    Nice angle you parked that swather at :D, must have been daydreaming about guns.
    🤣 There’s a railroad tie bridge that goes over a concrete irrigation ditch right there. It fell through... 😮 It’s out and the field is cut now... No more bridge..
    Oh my, some Marine language and a few words only sailors know were probably only muttered under your breath, that was probably interesting at the moment, I glad you kept it between the ditches and on its wheels. Finished the job so I imagine nothing was broke bad.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Wanted to order the OAL gauge modified case anyway. So I tossed a PAST Super Mag Plus in there’s while I was ordering. May be a little on the opposite extreme side from my thin Field one. But I’ll take all the help I can get... 😆
    I stack both on my shoulder when shooting my .458 WM and “Holy Crap” Loads. 😳
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Overall, I’m very happy with it. I have some learning to do with it. I didn’t even try any other front sight inserts. I went with the smaller of the two rear sight apertures and the circle front sight insert with the smallest hole in it. 

    But most importantly, I got some good info on my loads and where the rifle is hitting with the sights. I’ll do a little adjustment on the front sight for windage and work up so new loads for next time. I think I’ll see better results on target then. I’m also still waiting for my hollow point lead bullets to get here. Then it will be water jug time... 👍
    I’d say ya did pretty good for your first outing with a tang sight. Well done!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Thanks. I was really hoping for better. But for a first date with SWAG loads and an unknown gun, I won’t beat myself up too bad. The gun deserves better.. I don’t figure myself a rifleman. Im much more comfortable with a handgun. Throw in some strange sights.... 😬 But I’ll get it there. Next range report will be better. 👍 I’ve got some info now..
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    And a correction on my statement about the Berry’s loads. I saw on their website a 1500fps max. On the side of the box, it says 1950. So I’m pretty much within spec there... 👍
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jay said:
    CHIRO1989 said:


    Nice angle you parked that swather at :D, must have been daydreaming about guns.
    🤣 There’s a railroad tie bridge that goes over a concrete irrigation ditch right there. It fell through... 😮 It’s out and the field is cut now... No more bridge..
    Oh my, some Marine language and a few words only sailors know were probably only muttered under your breath, that was probably interesting at the moment, I glad you kept it between the ditches and on its wheels. Finished the job so I imagine nothing was broke bad.
    There’s a loooong story that goes along with this farming thing out here. I’m no farmer.. Obviously. 😆🤣 But it was the guy who owned this 1/4 million dollar piece of machinery who said go that way... against my protest, I mightn’t add..it was fun... not! Would have been about 3/4 mile to drive around and not use the bridge.... hindsight...

    As soon as the right side fell through and lost traction it jerked right and was sideways in the ditch. We got it out, but it wasn’t pretty... 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    edited June 8 #55
    Of all my front sight inserts I settled.. on the cross hair as being the most useful....your mileage may vary...

    My other Sharps has a buckhorn rear and a nickel silver blade front...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Thanks. I was really hoping for better. But for a first date with SWAG loads and an unknown gun, I won’t beat myself up too bad. The gun deserves better.. I don’t figure myself a rifleman. Im much more comfortable with a handgun. Throw in some strange sights.... 😬 But I’ll get it there. Next range report will be better. 👍 I’ve got some info now..
    Really make sure you have a solid bench and excellent rest. Otherwise.......you’re giving your girl second best. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Of all my front sight inserts I settled.. on the cross hair as being the most useful....your mileage may vary...

    My other Sharps has a buckhorn rear and a nickel silver blade front...
    Agree!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    That’s what I shot this buck using. 

    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,752 Senior Member
    Nice!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Of all my front sight inserts I settled.. on the cross hair as being the most useful....your mileage may vary...

    My other Sharps has a buckhorn rear and a nickel silver blade front...
    Unfortunately, the set of inserts included with this gun doesn't include a cross hair front sight insert.  That's what I was wanting.  I'll have to see if or where I can find additional inserts for it.

    https://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/lyman/lyman-1878-sharps_2.jpg
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,802 Senior Member
    Zee said:

    Really make sure you have a solid bench and excellent rest. Otherwise.......you’re giving your girl second best. 


    I have a good, solid bench and use bags.  I do need to do some modifying on my bench next time.  It's too low, after the last modifications...  So it causes me to have to lean down and forward too much to get on the gun.  Probably also helps increase the shoulder discomfort a little.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement