Home Main Category General Firearms

Savage 110 Precision load development

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,232 Senior Member
edited June 6 in General Firearms #1
Finally got around to working up some loads for the Savage 110 Precision. Looks promising, shooting was done this AM in the rain. 

I thought I would be able to squeeze 2.84" COL into the mag but had some feeding issues so I'm going to have to shorten the cartridge a bit. Shame because 2.84 is 0.02 off the lands. 

Next time I'm going to focus around 41.5 and 41.4 grains with a chrono (didn't use today due to rain). 

Four shot groups. 

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,550 Senior Member
    I’m not a good enough shooter to tell a .1 grain difference in load development. I used to try .2 grains and still found myself wasting a lot of bullets and powder. Now days, I run .5 grain difference when working loads. That tells me plenty and I can work around from there is desired. Usually......not. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Finally got around to working up some loads for the Savage 110 Precision. Looks promising, shooting was done this AM in the rain. 

I thought I would be able to squeeze 2.84" COL into the mag but had some feeding issues so I'm going to have to shorten the cartridge a bit. Shame because 2.84 is 0.02 off the lands. 

Next time I'm going to focus around 41.5 and 41.4 grains with a chrono (didn't use today due to rain). 

Four shot groups. 

If you are only putting holes in paper and shooting as small of a group as possible, you can leave the length and just load one at a time.

A guy on here mentioned that a few times, now I find myself doing that at the range also.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    It looks like you're already having remarkable success.

I remember one time setting up my rest in the back of my pick up camper shell to sight in under a wet sky. I barely got the yard work done before the rain started here thismorning.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    JKP said:

Four shot groups. 

If you are only putting holes in paper and shooting as small of a group as possible, you can leave the length and just load one at a time.

A guy on here mentioned that a few times, now I find myself doing that at the range also.
    I know, but I want to have my cake and eat it too. The Hornady factory ammo is at 2.80" so i might see how 2.82" works. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's not a Mauser action where you have to load out of the magazine, and you're going for precision not a hunting firearm. Load one at a time. There's no rule against it. That's what they do in bench rest matches. Most of those guns don't even have a magazine.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.