Home Main Category General Firearms

.22 Mag owners, info please

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,629 Senior Member
edited June 7 in General Firearms #1
I've never owned a .22 Magnum rifle.  Those who do are fond of that caliber and it's reputed to be accurate.  The reasons I've never owned one if because ammo was and is expensive compared to .22 LR when I was young and there isn't any game around where I grew up that was suitable for that round.  I believed it was too powerful for squirrels and rabbits, and not powerful enough for larger game. Groundhogs would be perfect for it at appropriate ranges, but there weren't enough around to justify dedicating a rifle for that purpose.  (More now, but I won't digress.)  It's got a reputation of messing up eatable animals and in my formative years, cost and eatability were very important.   

I suppose it would stretch the range of a .22 LR, but for game hunting, you'd be restricted to longer range shots so as not to maim your prey?  

So what do you guys who own them use them for?  Am I missing something?
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Great coyote round for urban areas where excessive noise is undesirable.  Decisive round for woodchucks and beaver where .22lr is a little light.  Not a bad white tail round in the hands of anyone that knows how to use it correctly.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• bhl2506bhl2506 Senior Member Posts: 1,915 Senior Member
    I don't have any experience with the 22 mag in a rifle but have taken both squirrels and rabbits with my ruger convertible. Never had a problem with meat damage.
    Refusing to conform to the left wing mantra of political correctness by insisting on telling the truth does not make you a loud mouth.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,122 Senior Member
    .22 mag works great for headshooting squirrels and other such prey.  With a softpoint, you can move up to foxes, too, without as much concern for pelt damage if you seek to go beyond varmint control.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Ive only shot squirrels with mine. In the head. No meat damage. Ive carried for coyotes but not connected with one. 

In all honesty I like the rifles I have chambered for it because the were bought used, dirt cheap. They have bad scopes so accuracy suffers. I'll get better ones someday......

I know that within 50 yards it packs a significantly greater punch than 22lr because it dents my steel target instead of making a splash mark.

I like having a long gun in camp thats very light with small light ammo that could possibly answer a problem or chore bigger than its intended use. That's the main use mine see. Really a 22lr could serve the same roll, and your favorite, the stinging Hornet is likely more than alot better ballistically. But 50 rnd boxes of WMR fit in a shirt pocket......
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    Solid round for raccoon and squirrels not meant for the dinner table. I've used it on crows that were dumber than most crows and got into 22 mag range. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    I have a .22 mag in my safe and have never fired it.  May have to correct that issue next week
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    I have a 94/22 mag but it’s only ever been a paper puncher. That’s sad actually!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    They were legal for deer in Michigan for a long time.

Kodiak semi'autos were very popular....

I understand that they are still popular with the jacklighting crowd...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Years ago, a friends brother worked seasonable work. Had a wife and little kids. Used a 22mag to put venison in the pot. Ive never felt like he was doing a great wrong. Im pretty sure they were one shot kills, given the circumstances.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,430 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #11
    Through and through a grouse out of my single-six with a solid, meat seemed fine IIRC, I have shot quite a few with .22mag birdshot too, several annoying red squirrels, and one gray squirrel in my attic with the birdshot also. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 829 Senior Member
    Great round, I've got a model 61 Winchester in .22 mag, the rifle is a big part of my enjoyment of the round.
    It's great on hares at 100-200 yards, perfect amount of punch, good on goats, I've not found it overly damaging of meat.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    My single six 22 mag has taken squirrel without excessive meat damage.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Years ago, a friends brother worked seasonable work. Had a wife and little kids. Used a 22mag to put venison in the pot. Ive never felt like he was doing a great wrong. Im pretty sure they were one shot kills, given the circumstances.
    My buddy had a farm and he had permits to kill deer all year round to prevent crop damage.  MANY deer every year filled his freezer shot from his kitchen window.   Man never bough store beef.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Where my friends brother lived. The deer were and still do alot of vehicle damage. One of my sisters could hold a local record. Her last car was totaled....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    If you make only headshots on small game then they can extend your range for that. They'll take groundhogs and coyotes within 100 yards, and crows.
    And they were and still are the go-to for poaching deer in a lot of places. With a deer standing broadside, a bullet in the ear hole is deadly.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    edited June 7 #17
    When I was growing up, no coyotes and as I said, few groundhogs. Poaching isn't something most poachers would buy a rifle for, but it would beat a LR.  I've dispatched a number of auto-hit deer with a LR, though.  Short range, of course.

In my small  circle of friends when I was a kid, no one had a .22 Mag.  We used to run up pretty frequently loose .22 WRF rounds,  the parent of the Mag, and wondered what they were for.  Never the rifles, just the rounds. I've heard one old timer swear it was deadly on squirrels, but I think modern LR performance puts that  legend to rest.  Never did find .22 Mag rounds.

I wanted a 5mm RF when they came out, just because they were cool, but then Remington stopped making the ammo pretty quickly, for some reason.  Nowadays, Aguilla makes the ammo for them after years of absence.  

I never thought the .22 Mag was cool, I always thought it was either too little or too much, power wise, but this might be because I am/was a fan of the Hornet, which I think is far more versatile as a dedicated critter round.  And reloadable. 

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Exactly the same reasons why I haven't bought one. That and ammo prices/availability, along with rather few rifle choices imported. 

The only one that called my attention was the 10/22 Magnum for a fun plinker, but those were dumped by Ruger from its production line and so far have never been able to find one of the few available here for sale.
    Out of my 6" Single Six they run like a HV .22LR out of a rifle. Other than being as loud as a .38 Special, no better performance that its "smaller brother", so seldom used with that round.