Home Main Category Hunting

Banned hunting techniques revived in Alaska

BufordBuford Senior MemberPosts: 6,713 Senior Member
Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,085 Senior Member
    I do know that natives up there have never stopped killing swimming caribou...often harpooning them from a boat and finishing them with a .22....subsistence hunters play by different rules
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    Game management is always best handled by the states. The assumption that they'll squander their wildlife resources without Federal intervention is wrong. Trump did good on this I think.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    Subsistence hunting and fishing is a lot different from trophy hunting. You kill enough to get through the winter. Alaska has some different priorities than the Lower 48, and with good reason. The Alaskan game and fisheries folk will watch closely and act accordingly to preserve the wildlife resources.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Who is the Buford guy?  Seems familiar, but I'm not sure who he is. :)

Welcome back.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    The correct headline for this is:

”Unconstitutional overreach reversed by Trump administration and power returned to the state”

States Rights Matter.

But that does not play as well in the media as painting the picture that Cheeto Jesus is personally crawling into the dens killing baby wolf pups and bear cubs with greased donuts.

(Let me be perfectly clear- I am not a Trump fan, and I find those hunting means and methods to be suspect at bast, and reprehensible at worst.  But Me in Texas should have no say in how Alaska sets their hunting regs.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,249 Senior Member
    The very word "hunting" has almost lost all meaning in todays world. Today it conjures up images of recreational sport with an upside (grandfathers chasing rabbits with their grandchildren) and a downside (poachers killing off the few remaining tuskers in Africa)....it pretty well gets lumped together.

But subsistance hunting is a different game entirely. It's actually "survival" hunting...The purest form of hunting, and the way all meat-eating predators (except man) still do it. Maximum results with least expenditure of calories.

If I lived in Alaska 300 miles from the nearest  WalMart Neighborhood Market....how dare you tell me the methods I use to feed my family don't meet your ethical standards? You might during summer, but I bet you wouldn't if you stayed for the winter.

Native Americans used to drive entire buffalo herds over bluffs and harvest 50 out of a thousand. Where's the outrage?

I don't think these decreased regs will make a blip on the radar screen for animal populations. And in a true subsistance situation....screw our ethics. Our ancestors would have for thousands of years. 

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    My favorite are the vegans shaming Inuits way up north for killing whales for their villages when pics circulate on social media.  I would love to invite them up there to show those folks how to grow vegan-friendly crops in permafrost... 
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    NYT's not fit for even the bottom of the bird cage.  Too much crap in it already!  Of course they'll put the worst spin on it.  Alaska is harsh and those that choose to live there need a different set of rules.  Alaska, as near as I can tell does a fine job of controlling the harvesting of their wildlife.