Home Main Category Clubhouse

Boy Howdy, THAT was a chore.....

2»

Replies

• PFDPFD Senior Member Posts: 1,365 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #32
    The quality of folks here is astounding.
    Knowledege of the nuances necessary to get the precision that raw math doesn't deliver is something only attained by the experience of someone that can absorb it.

Taking the time to pass it on says a lot.
    That's all I got.

Paul
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
    Had to do just what they said today turning a barrel for a Dan Wesson revolver in the lathe. I needed a finish OD of .700 and had already had the barrel fairly warm from turning from a large blank. I was at .730 and needed to be at my .700 so instead of dialing in a .015 pass (taking half the diameter), i dialed in 14. Put me right at .702 after that. Talked to a customer that came in for about a half hour and then took a measurement with my mic and was spot on .700 after it cooled. I absolutely love it. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #34
    Sometimes you're the bug.....sometimes you're the windshield. Nature of the beast.  I've effed up more parts than I care to remember but I have no problem remembering the ones I got right,.:)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    You don't eat screw ups, do ya? 😆
    I can remember one time I accidentally cut a bbl tenon diameter too small. The guy wanted a 25" bbl. He got a 24"...
    edited June 2020 #37
    No, thank God. I'm paid by the hour. In theory somebody else eats my screwups. OTOH, if they replace me, they're gonna eat a whole lot more. In theory. Just sayin'.....

Mike
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    From your early description, it sounds more like subtraction by division.  Am I missing something :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    "Subtraction by Division"......I like that.....It's a term I've never heard before.

Come Monday......some engineers (one in particular) are gonna be amazed how smart I got over the weekend. :)

Mike
    N454casull
    "Subtraction by Division"......I like that.....It's a term I've never heard before.

Come Monday......some engineers (one in particular) are gonna be amazed how smart I got over the weekend. :)

Mike

Just another way to saying you sneak up on it.  That should appeal to your nature as a hunter. :)
    Jerry

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member

Mike

Just another way to saying you sneak up on it.  That should appeal to your nature as a hunter. :)
    Actually, sneaking up on it is a very good way of looking at it. Especially as it relates to cutting a chamber. You use a roughing reamer to cut the chamber short, and then change to a finish reamer to sneak up on the finished chamber. And if you're doing that finishing reamer by hand, you learn very quickly that a full turn of the reamer can be WAY TOO MUCH! And having to set the barrel back introduces a whole nother can of worms.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    The hardest thing I've ever tried, with the exception of all the other hardest things I've ever tried, is "clocking " 2  threaded parts. That sucks. I usually hand that off to the toolmaker, who spends the rest of the day (and usually part of the next) cussing me.
    LOL! Occasionally I have to remind him he's paid twice as much as me, and sometimes he has to earn it.
    Mike
    N454casull
    Clocking an octagonal barrel to an action is another job that will make the magic words and phrases fly thick and heavy.
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Clocking an octagonal barrel to an action is another job that will make the magic words and phrases fly thick and heavy.
    I can imagine. I never ever want to have to try that geometry.

Mike
    N454casull
    Clocking really isn't that bad. It can be a bit time consuming to get to the final position, but im sure y'all already know how to find that by thread pitch. Of course I've done enough to have it burned into my mind too.
    edited June 2020 #46
    Clocking really isn't that bad. It can be a bit time consuming to get to the final position, but im sure y'all already know how to find that by thread pitch. Of course I've done enough to have it burned into my mind too.
    Cool.....next time, I'll call you......if you don't mind, of course. It tends to eat my lunch.

Mike
    N454casull

Mike

"Subtraction by division" will sound mo' better to an engineer than "I snuck up on it by pure dumbass luck". That's an invisible but highly useful tool that now resides in the first drawer of my toolbox.

Thanks, Jerry. I owe you a lot, my friend.

Mike
    N454casull
    tennmike said:
    I can imagine. I never ever want to have to try that geometry.

Mike
    It takes some high power ciphering with pencil and paper to figure how much you have to remove from the barrel shoulder to move the barrel X deg. to get it to line up top dead center taking into account the thread pitch, and allowing for crush factor of barrel and action. I've only done 3 and it was the same every time. Cut and cuss, cut and cuss, cut and cuss. Rest, drink some coffee, and then cuss and do another tiny cut and cuss some more! :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    I'm not a machinist, and don't even play one on the Internet - but I've had occasion to work with engineers and machinists both on the subject of clocking parts. We ended up through drilling and using a nut and keying pin because we could - which was a PITA but less so than trying to clock two threaded parts together!
    My only other experience was putting a compensator on a pistol where I used shims to get it to clock correctly. I got *REAL* lucky on that one...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited June 2020 #50
    Shims are a wonderful thing, and I've occasionally resorted to such. Unfortunately, most of what I do gets audited by the FDA.  They have neither an understanding of "tolerance", or a sense of humor. 

Kind of like a construction project for the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Done both, several times....it's never fun.

Mike
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    What's with building, a church presumably, for the Mormons?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    What's with building, a church presumably, for the Mormons?

I believe he described it already....

Shims are a wonderful thing, and I've occasionally resorted to such. Unfortunately, most of what I do gets audited by the FDA.  They have neither an understanding of "tolerance", or a sense of humor. 

Kind of like a construction project for the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Done both, several times....it's never fun.

Mike

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

edited June 2020 #53
    Back when I was in construction, the LDS church had some of the most archaic, but stringent building construction specs I've ever seen. You could offer an alternative method of doing something that was an actual improvement over their spec, often at reduced cost, and the answer was ALWAYS a resounding no. The FDA is quite similar.

Mike
    N454casull
    IME, the 3 toughest entities to build something for are the FAA, LDS Church, and anything related to nuclear power generation. It's practically impossible to see a profit with the first two, and the nuc thing was always a toss of the dice.

Mike
    N454casull
    IME, the 3 toughest entities to build something for are the FAA, LDS Church, and anything related to nuclear power generation. It's practically impossible to see a profit with the first two, and the nuc thing was always a toss of the dice.

Mike
    The nuke power thing is because of regs put out by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. I could write a thick book on their stupidity. 
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited June 2020 #56
    Speaking of clocking and the difficulty of same....one of the neighborhood kids ran over one of my sprinkler heads with his bike. Normally a 15 minute replacement job.

But, nooooo......this was one of those fancy self rotating heads that allows you to save yourself the  immense trouble of deciding which spray pattern you need. Against my better judgement, I decided to replace it with a duplicate.

4 hours later....I've watered my truck. I've watered the house. I've watered my neighbors truck and dog. I've even watered myself a few times. Lengthy clocking instructions by the mfgr yielded no predictable results. I gave up. I capped the line. Turns out we didn't need that one anyway. I'll replace it when I can get my preferred brand/pattern head. Apparently it's broken lawn sprinkler season around here and a fixed pattern RainBird with a 3/4" female NTP connection is as scarce as toilet paper was in April.

Mike
    N454casull
    Speaking of clocking and the difficulty of same....one of the neighborhood kids ran over one of my sprinkler heads with his bike. Normally a 15 minute replacement job.

But, nooooo......this was one of those fancy self rotating heads that allows you to save yourself the  immense trouble of deciding which spray pattern you need. Against my better judgement, I decided to replace it with a duplicate.

4 hours later....I've watered my truck. I've watered the house. I've watered my neighbors truck and dog. I've even watered myself a few times. Lengthy clocking instructions by the mfgr yielded no predictable results. I gave up. I capped the line. Turns out we didn't need that one anyway. I'll replace it when I can get my preferred brand/pattern head. Apparently it's broken lawn sprinkler season around here and a fixed pattern RainBird with a 3/4" female NTP connection is as scarce as toilet paper was in April.

Mike
    I really hate those  overly complicated lawn sprinklers. None of them seem to work as advertised.
    You probably can't find a replacement lawn sprinkler head you want due to the truckers trying to keep up with the demand for toilet paper. :D
    ― Douglas Adams
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Just thought of something - who exactly was Boy Howdy?

I crack myself up....
    Just thought of something - who exactly was Boy Howdy?

I crack myself up....
    Doh.  He's Howdy Doody's boy.
    Jerry