Home Main Category Hunting

Mmmmmmmmm..........Bacon...

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 8,145 Senior Member
edited June 2020 in Hunting #1
Charter boat was audited by Maritime Safety yesterday which meant a trip up to the boat. Took my 204 with me as I figured with the ground softening up with the winter rains, the pigs might be coming out onto the farm.........After the audit I drove to the farm and went for a walk. The next pics tell the story of what I saw.......

Bit more searching and I found this.....

this.......( foot for scale)
and this..........

Figured a pic is worth a thousand words so I sent BH about 4000 words to his cellphone :D
2 minutes later I got back a text saying "Pigs, we need to tool up" ( His capacity for stating the obvious is only exceeded by his ability to shoot :D ).....

So after a quick consultation by ph I headed home to 'Tool up' and meet BH after work.
While I love shooting the 204, the 6-18 scope doesnt suit night shooting under lights and I wanted the 7mm08 with its 3.5-10x50 VX3L....

Got back to the farm as the sun was going down, drove up to a vantage point and as I came to a stop BH pointed out a black pig running for the hills. Couldnt do much as the 'tools' were still in their gun cases so we got them out and got ready. Now, I know that farm like the back of my hand and after we sat back in the vehicle to observe our surroundings I noted to myself that I didnt remember seeing that big clump of brown rushes on that rise.....About a minute later, BH says " dont you want to shoot that pig"

I look where he was pointing and saw that the big clump of 'rushes' had a head down feeding. After exiting the vehicle I draped myself over the bonnet ( Hood for you heathens) BH gave me the range ( just over 130m away) and I sent a 120gr sierra psp from the 7mm08 into its neck. At the shot we both saw the pig 'ripple' from its shoulder to its tail ( it was broadside on) .....a big cloud of dust rose from its coat and it dropped on the spot.

Dressed it out and we hung it in a nearby tree......

By the time we were finished it was almost dark so we went for a wander with the spotlights. Didnt see anything and returned to the vehicle for a rest and drink. 10 minutes later I lit up the area where I shot the boar and as I swept the light over the paddock BH hissed " Back to your right!" I reversed the direction I was sweeping the light and picked up a second large boar plus a smaller black pig. 2 seconds later Bh's Sako spoke and he sent a 140gr Sierra from his 7mm08 into its neck. Range was again just over 130m......and it dropped on the spot. After field dressing it we hung it from a tree to cool and sat back and relaxed. Figured we had enough 'bacon' and headed home.
Here is BH's boar when we weighed it......

To give you an idea of scale, BH is near enough to 6' and the boars legs were about an inch off the ground.

Bh's boar weighed in at just under 120lb dressed and mine was slightly less......Mine had slightly bigger 'hooks' and they are both fat and in good condition.

Here's the thing.......we came back on sunday from our 7 day trip to cull goats, chase deer and wild pigs. Shot a few goats, and other assorted pests, saw a couple of deer and although we set bait for the pigs, due to a number of reasons we were not able to get a shot at any. It was a 8+ hour drive one way......yet within 35mins of home we managed to fill the chiller with bacon.........Go figure!!!
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,298 Senior Member
    Nice!!!!!   Need to put one of those down this fall.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,807 Senior Member
    Nice day, I'd say
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,294 Senior Member
    Very nice!

I need to get out and do some porcine eradication on the land soon.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    nice hunt, great story.  Add it all up, and you suck.  Big time. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,133 Senior Member
    Great pictures and shooting
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    Well done!  Good looking pigs and good shooting!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    Looks like you and BH have some good meat for the freezer. And BACON!!!!!  :)  Hope you can get a few more. Hogs can really tear up a farm with their rooting. When it comes to hunting you and BH are like peas in a pod! :D 
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,108 Senior Member
    Are feral pigs fat enough to make good bacon?  Just wondering, as I would think they're leaner than farm raised pigs.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,388 Senior Member
    Nicely done :D
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,298 Senior Member
    Are feral pigs fat enough to make good bacon?  Just wondering, as I would think they're leaner than farm raised pigs.
    Some are, but I've seen some pretty fat ones.  Depends on latitude and what the have been feeding on.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member

As GunNut said, it depends on what they are eating. The last ones we took off the property were fat and full of flavour. Butcher called in a BH's place last night to have a look at them. Havent heard the result yet.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
     When it comes to hunting you and BH are like peas in a pod! :D 
    You got that right my friend. Our thought processes are so similar that when either of us make a suggestion, the other one is thinking the same thing. and we instinctively know what the other one is doing..........sometimes it scares me!

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,955 Senior Member
    Good shootin', and mighty fine eatin' there, son. So you wear a bonnet when you're hunting, did I read that right? >:)
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    Weather looka cool and refreshing compared to the heat here. Those pics are making me hungry.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    That's how ya do it.  Way to strike when the opportunity was hot.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.