Home Main Category General Firearms

Sadistic Saturday - Friend wanted to shoot a .50cal at distance.

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 23,550 Senior Member
So I took him to the ranch and we bore sighted the Armalight AR-50 at 750 yards and let fly. 
Used cheap 660gr S&B ball ammo. First round below target. Second low on steel. Then bullseye. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    They look like artillery shells peaking out of that box on the bench.

Those big rings grip the rail with two cross pins each???
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,550 Senior Member
    They look like artillery shells peaking out of that box on the bench.

Those big rings grip the rail with two cross pins each???
    One. 
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Good for you for letting a friend have a cool experience
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Looks like a good time
    How much felt recoil on a what 30 pound rifle?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Looks like a good time
    The Armalight was heavier than the McMillan I’m used to. I didn’t shoot his Armalight. My rebuilt shoulder ain’t ready for it. Or, I ain’t ready to put it to the test. 😎
    Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    Looks like a good time
    The Armalight was heavier than the McMillan I’m used to. I didn’t shoot his Armalight. My rebuilt shoulder ain’t ready for it. Or, I ain’t ready to put it to the test. 😎
    Forgot about the fixed up shoulder.  Good that your holding back and letting it heal.  
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I’m shooting .308s no problem. Just not gonna put it to a Lapua or .50cal yet. 
    I was just wondering how much recoil was felt.  While I shot the M-2 while in uniform several times, it is much different than shoulder fired.  I shot Tennmikes single shot 50 single shot a few times,  the rifle was so heavy recoil didn't feel like much at all.
    Don't know what his weighs, but I do know when I reached into his truck to pick it up I was surprised by the weight.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    I’ve put some rounds out of an AR50 before. Recoil isn’t bad. Think 12 gauge shotgun with bird shot. My buddy’s wife shot the heck out of it. 

The muzzle blast out of that big brake is nasty.....
    It’s heavier than the Tac-50 I’m used to and the recoil didn’t seem all that bad. Still wasn’t willing to risk the shoulder unnecessarily. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    I was just wondering how much recoil was felt.  While I shot the M-2 while in uniform several times, it is much different than shoulder fired.  I shot Tennmikes single shot 50 single shot a few times,  the rifle was so heavy recoil didn't feel like much at all.
    Don't know what his weighs, but I do know when I reached into his truck to pick it up I was surprised by the weight.
    My single shot .50 BMG rifle weighs 29 lbs. with scope, and 32 lbs with bipod. Jungle carbine  is fr a size comparison. lbs

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    The AR50 weighs 34 lbs without attachments. Scope/Rings/Bipod add a few more. 
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    The AR50 weighs 34 lbs without attachments. Scope/Rings/Bipod add a few more. 
    Wouldn't mind if mine had a few more pounds weight. A .50  BMG rifle needs some weight to it to slow down the recoil impulse along with a good muzzle brake. 
    Have you shot any of the 750 grain Hornady A-Max or any heavy 'boutique' bullets? I fired a friend's rifle that was loaded with 850 grain monolithics; 'dotted my i" on the first shot!  :D  

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    We use the 750gr A-Max in our Tac-50 and Barret. Also the Steel Core Penetrators and AP-I rounds.