Home Main Category General Firearms

Coffee in the wild.

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 6,410 Senior Member
Yesterday was a good day. I took a drive up to the Snowy Range in Wyoming. I took a lunch and my trusty coffee percolator. It was a great recharge. My 45 colt 92 went along for the trip. I was glad to have it too, I ran into 3 moose.  The bill I saw was about 75 yards, the cow and calf was about 100 yards. If something went south at least I had something. 
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Great day.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,410 Senior Member
    Great day.

Mike
    Yes it was!
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Hey I got that same pot! Stainless with 4 stainless cups in a black zipperd travel bag. Stuff hits the spot up in high country.

I'd like to see some moose in the woods. Never have yet.
    Hopefully from a safe distance. I understand they can get testy. 45 Colt. Old reliable.
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,822 Senior Member
    See now if you were a fisherman that creek would have been heaven  :p
    beautiful country!
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,634 Senior Member
    Looks nice!
    Last moose I saw was in my back yard.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    Super cool!

My Dad & I did a big road trip together in 2015 to go back east for my cousin's wedding. Spent 3 days in Yellowstone along the way & headed out east via the Bear Tooth Pass.  At some point on that leg of the journey we saw two bull moose standing shoulder deep in green stuff looking a lot like the river growth you're showing.

IMPRESSIVE critters - them and bison!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    beautiful country!
    I had the same thought either fly or ultralight would be a blast.
    It sure is a pretty area
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Diver43 said:
    sakodude said:
    beautiful country!
    I had the same thought either fly or ultralight would be a blast.
    It sure is a pretty area
    That stream is full of native brook trout.....
    edited June 21 #10
    Hmmmm......you've got me wondering.....day trip, or overnighter?

Within 45 minutes of Colorado Springs you can be in some of the most majestic terrain you'll ever encounter. But I've seen it all, repeatedly, and am looking for something new.

Colorado Springs is roughly an hour south of Denver. How long would it take to drive from the Springs to where you were?

An aside....if you don't mind traveling south, Fremont county (where JerryBobCo used to live) and areas southwest are the beginning of the San Juan Range. Spectacular scenery and well worth the time. FWIW, while the "Fourteeners" get all the attention, I've found 8-10K ASL is where the action is. Much higher than that and you're standing on a rock, looking at other rocks.

Mike
    N454casull
    Hmmmm......you've got me wondering.....day trip, or overnighter?

Within 45 minutes of Colorado Springs you can be in some of the most majestic terrain you'll ever encounter. But I've seen it all, repeatedly, and am looking for something new.

Colorado Springs is roughly an hour south of Denver. How long would it take to drive from the Springs to where you were?

An aside....if you don't mind traveling south, Fremont county (where JerryBobCo used to live) and areas southwest are the beginning of the San Juan Range. Spectacular scenery and well worth the time. FWIW, while the "Fourteeners" get all the attention, I've found 8-10K ASL is where the action is. Much higher than that and you're standing on a rock, looking at other rocks.

Mike
    Probably about 3+ hours. Swing by the house I’ll go with you for the day. The Snowy’s are amazing. 
    That sounds like a plan!

Mike
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    Should have brought a toboggan for the snow. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    This time of year it looks like snow from a distance, but it's usually hard, rutted ice. Not a whole lot of fun. Good to look at, but not much else.

Mike
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,410 Senior Member
    Yeah, I am sure the sun condensed and compacted it, still, hold my beer and watch this.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    Did that once, on a nylon poncho. Did I mention  I did it ONCE?

Mike

N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,517 Senior Member
    Too cool. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I had occasion some years ago to explore an area around Gould CO east of Walden. The pics in the OP look like similar terrain. 
    I propose a Colorado shooting/fishing get together anyone interested?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,738 Senior Member
    Mike,

if you're referring to the mountain range in which I killed that bull in my avatar, it's the Wet Mountains, and does indeed have some spectacular scenery.  There are a few small streams, but extremely tough to fish as they are very clear and brushy.  All I've ever seen or caught from them are small brookies.

There also Lake Isabel, which has guest cabins and a small cafe.  That would be a good place for a Colorado meet and greet.  And, there is some nice camp grounds, as well as a lot of primitive camping on Locke Mountain and Green Horn (Cuerno Verde) mountain.

Right now, I'm about to have a melt down to fish the upper Arkansas.  I can almost taste it.

That's some beautiful looking county, Elk Creek.  I second the notion of fly fishing that little stream  
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    sakodude said:
    Im interested. I have a couple problems. One is I schedule all my time off a year prior as a matter of policy. The other is the child custody schedule with my son. I can maybe work those things out depending......
    Mike,

if you're referring to the mountain range in which I killed that bull in my avatar, it's the Wet Mountains, and does indeed have some spectacular scenery.  There are a few small streams, but extremely tough to fish as they are very clear and brushy.  All I've ever seen or caught from them are small brookies.

There also Lake Isabel, which has guest cabins and a small cafe.  That would be a good place for a Colorado meet and greet.  And, there is some nice camp grounds, as well as a lot of primitive camping on Locke Mountain and Green Horn (Cuerno Verde) mountain.

Right now, I'm about to have a melt down to fish the upper Arkansas.  I can almost taste it.

That's some beautiful looking county, Elk Creek.  I second the notion of fly fishing that little stream  
    Actually, Jerry, I was thinking about the area you, Fred(?), and I tried hi-altitude 'yote hunting. That was some really pretty ground. Thought it was the San Juans......

Mike
    N454casull
    Jerry,

Upon reflection, I'm betting it was the Wet Mountains. Pretty scenery for sure. Drastic elevation changes over a short distance....even on paved roads.

Mike
    N454casull
    sakodude said:
    Im interested. I have a couple problems. One is I schedule all my time off a year prior as a matter of policy. The other is the child custody schedule with my son. I can maybe work those things out depending......
    I have a far bit of flexibility, hopefully we can find some common time.
    I'm for it......Summer's kind of full, but Fall's nice..... ;)

Mike
    N454casull
    I'm for it......Summer's kind of full, but Fall's nice..... ;)

Mike
    It will probably take that long to put something together anyway but fall is a great time of year.
    We need to do this. One of the first threads I read here was when you, Jerry , Flydiver, and a few others did a Colorado "shoot".  IIRC, the weather sort of sucked. Hence.....early fall.
    Mike
    N454casull
    Yes! 
    Let’s make this happen! Never Summer Yurts.... outside Walden. 

I think I camped at a place near those yurts a couple years ago with my son. Was a lake there I think.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    Good trip for the soul.  That stream looks very fishy.  A friend of mine's dad had a place in Wyoming along a river, in the middle of a reservation.  He died a few years ago (his dad) but invited me fishing for a long time.  Sorry I didn't go.  Up along one of the feeder springs, my friend would catch like 40-50 Brookies, small maybe 5" fish, on a fly.  Had to sneak up on them or they'd get put down, like crawl up to them.  No limit, because in that river Brooks weren't native and DNR was trying, vainly, to get rid of them.

No spring creeks around here.  I've fished them in Ryegrass Wyoming a few years and was amazed at big fish coming out of small water.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    MHS is in if dates work out!!