Home Main Category General Firearms

So maybe drunk shopping does pay off...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
edited June 22 in General Firearms #1
Brown truck of happiness just left leaving behind my new (to me) .270!  

Commercial FN Mauser, original barrel, rifling is in pristine condition.  Marked 1952 and with a beautiful vintage Leupold Vari-X IIc in perfect condition.  Bluing is perfect, stock has nice grain and the standard dings of a gun of this age but most I’ll probably be able to address with Howard’s.

This one MIGHT have to stay all original... 😭

Sorry for the quickie pics...  so much for the “donor action” idea...
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,771 Senior Member
    Love that stock!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    Face it, your one of us now  B) Nice find!
    LOL!
    N454casull
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,762 Senior Member
    I  like the whole thing just as it is, except for the pad, I'd get a new pad!! The safety looks interesting, too!
    Just buy an action!!
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action/
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    Great!  Now I have to sit next to Snake and watch him smirk at me... 🤬

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut.....

Just so you know.....If you have a strong throwing arm you can kill things with that rig.

Mike
    N454casull
    Big Al1 said:
    I  like the whole thing just as it is, except for the pad, I'd get a new pad!! The safety looks interesting, too!
    Just buy an action!!
    https://www.sarcoinc.com/dumoulin-mauser-action/
    The recoil pad is the only thing that is Not original.  It’s a Pachmayr Decelerator pad, nicely fitted but absolutely not period correct.

I might have to go that route with the Mauser action.  But there are so many complete guns with NICE Mauser actions for not much more on GB... 😱

GunNut.....

Just so you know.....If you have a strong throwing arm you can kill things with that rig.

Mike
    Do I need to tape my hunting knife to the barrel and throw it like a spear?!?!?!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I got that same scope base on my 30-06.. That rifle's ready for anything, anywhere, anytime. There's a lot to be said for that.......
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,403 Senior Member
    You have been assimilated. Obviously, resistance was futile...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I got that same scope base on my 30-06.. That rifle's ready for anything, anywhere, anytime. There's a lot to be said for that.......
    Yep those Leupold one piece bases are basically brick outhouse strong!

zorba said:
    You have been assimilated. Obviously, resistance was futile...
    Apparently 😱

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Very nice rifle; can't go wrong with a Mauser 98 action. Friend of mine grandad had one of those and it's still a solid accurate shooter that in it's time bagged a handful of deers.

.270 is extensively used over here. Our white tails are a tad smaller than yours but since hunt is usually done in high mountains, local hunters like its flat shooting ballistics. Also not being a miltary-related cartridge has put it far from some legal restrictions during time.
    Antonio said:
    Very nice rifle; can't go wrong with a Mauser 98 action. Friend of mine grandad had one of those and it's still a solid accurate shooter that in it's time bagged a handful of deers.

.270 is extensively used over here. Our white tails are a tad smaller than yours but since hunt is usually done in high mountains, local hunters like its flat shooting ballistics. Also not being a miltary-related cartridge has put it far from some legal restrictions during time.
    .270 is also pretty big in Europe where they use it on moose.  Obviously their moose all have heart conditions 😁

I was just musing about the scope bases. Your rifle's ready for anything, anywhere, anytime.....

Too tired to type :|

Don't let the chambering throw you, that things rough and tumble ready.......
    I've fired 5 shots at 2 bison with my .270 Win. 4 were complete pass-throughs, and one came to rest under the hide of the off  side shoulder, after traversing 2/3rds of the critter. 160 grain Partitions.

I've seen 2 dozen+ bison go down. Only one fell down for the count to a single shot, a poorly aimed one from a .30-06 that demolished the spine.

The .270 Win, jokingly, get razzed here a lot. But it'll turn a deer inside out. 

Mike

N454casull
    Bet you heard the smack at bullet impact too.

Out of 12 or so elk shot, the only one I heard the bullet hit like a thunder clap was a 150gr Rem corelokt 270win..
    I really don’t have anything against the .270.  It’s a classic that has taken a lot of game over the decades.  One of the nicest and most expensive rifles I’ve ever owned was a .270.  Sold it for no good reason at all.  For some reason over the years I never really wanted one again, maybe because I thought it was just too “popular”?   This rifle just might make me fall in love with the chambering..........

even if I have to start clubbing game with it to make it effective 🤣

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,550 Senior Member
    When you are finished leaving it in your safe for a couple years after your initial
    zero and testing..........give me a call. 

I know you. And I know me. 

Call. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,875 Senior Member
    @Linefinder , I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I know that there's nothing wrong with the 270. I'm pretty sure you know the reason (person) why it gets razzed so much around here
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

yep...............

Mike
    N454casull
    Zee said:
    When you are finished leaving it in your safe for a couple years after your initial

Call. 
    I guess that means you like this one...  thanks

knitepoet said:
    @Linefinder , I can't speak for anyone else on here, but I know that there's nothing wrong with the 270. I'm pretty sure you know the reason (person) why it gets razzed so much around here
    yep...............

Mike
    It’s a funny running joke and it never fails to catch the targeted species.  😁

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    edited June 23 #25
    So they drank the bong water before they chambered it.  It's still pretty.  Hang it on some pegs high and out of reach with the caliber markings facing the wall and make up any story you like :D

Take a HARD look inside the barrel and at the crown.  IIRC the FN Mausers sold as the Sears/JC Higgins 50's had chrome lined tubes.  Can't imagine they wouldn't do the same on their name-marked offerings.

Personally, I'd lose the scope - life is too short to live with friction dials.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    I have a confession to make.

Before I joined this conference, I thought the .270 was a good hunting round for anything up to and including elk.  Then, thanks to the expertise shared by forum members, I realized that I was wrong.  It apparently just made a loud enough noise to scare the animals I had killed with one.  I have no explanation for the holes that were left behind.

Now you guys are confusing me yet again, and saying it is adequate.

Makes me wish I still drank.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I have a confession to make.

Before I joined this conference, I thought the .270 was a good hunting round for anything up to and including elk.  Then, thanks to the expertise shared by forum members, I realized that I was wrong.  It apparently just made a loud enough noise to scare the animals I had killed with one.  I have no explanation for the holes that were left behind.

Now you guys are confusing me yet again, and saying it is adequate.

Makes me wish I still drank.
    It’s not adequate. But, you can still drink. 
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

Call. 
    Yeah. You found my .270 Winchester. 😒
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:

Call. 
    Yeah. You found my .270 Winchester. 😒
    I’m honored!

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    edited June 23 #30
    GunNut said:
    Antonio said:

.270 is also pretty big in Europe where they use it on moose.  Obviously their moose all have heart conditions 😁
    The obsession on this board with the 270 is funny.  The round has probably taken every game animal in N America. 

All the new wonder cartridges can’t make deer, elk, moose more dead. 
    GunNut said:
    Antonio said:

The obsession on this board with the 270 is funny.  The round has probably taken every game animal in N America.  
    It’s all for fun.  Just an old running joke...