Home Main Category General Firearms

So maybe drunk shopping does pay off...

Replies

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,809 Senior Member
    Very nice looking rifle.

Should be a darn adequate coyote gun...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,770 Senior Member
    I've tried to respond to this thread 4 times, but I keep getting interrupted by the wife. I don't know why.....I'm not into Covid conspiracies , and really have no valid ones to offer her. So, I mentioned to her that our new cat is a really good listener , and talker, too. She left in a hurry.

I don't think she took it in the spirit I intended. Well....maybe she did.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    Jay said:
    Very nice looking rifle.

Should be a darn adequate coyote gun...
    Thanks!  The southern ones are small enough...  :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I've tried to respond to this thread 4 times, but I keep getting interrupted by the wife. I don't know why.....I'm not into Covid conspiracies , and really have no valid ones to offer her. So, I mentioned to her that our new cat is a really good listener , and talker, too. She left in a hurry.

Mike
    You’ll find out tonight when dinner is served... 🤣

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member

Mike
    And the murder began......
    Done properly....

"I've tried to respond to this thread four times, but I kept getting interrupted by the wife. And then the murders began".

One opening sentence is all that's allowed.  :)

Mike
    N454casull
    edited June 24 #38
    My wife asked, "WT F....you bought a .270"? And then the murders began.

Mike

N454casull
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 522 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Antonio said:
    Very nice rifle; can't go wrong with a Mauser 98 action. Friend of mine grandad had one of those and it's still a solid accurate shooter that in it's time bagged a handful of deers.

.270 is extensively used over here. Our white tails are a tad smaller than yours but since hunt is usually done in high mountains, local hunters like its flat shooting ballistics. Also not being a miltary-related cartridge has put it far from some legal restrictions during time.
    .270 is also pretty big in Europe where they use it on moose.  Obviously their moose all have heart conditions 😁
    No that's only in France and it's not moose it is meese.

Yeah I think your stuck with this one being a 270.

Bye amigo

GunNut said:
    Antonio said:
    Very nice rifle; can't go wrong with a Mauser 98 action. Friend of mine grandad had one of those and it's still a solid accurate shooter that in it's time bagged a handful of deers.

.270 is extensively used over here. Our white tails are a tad smaller than yours but since hunt is usually done in high mountains, local hunters like its flat shooting ballistics. Also not being a miltary-related cartridge has put it far from some legal restrictions during time.
    .270 is also pretty big in Europe where they use it on moose.  Obviously their moose all have heart conditions 😁

Bye amigo

Okay, gotta admit, that was a pretty good burn..........

But someday, probably in the afterlife, you're gonna roast for that.

Mike
    N454casull
    I always liked you Mike...still do
    edited June 24 #42
    even if I have to start clubbing game with it to make it effective 🤣

I can see your still getting used to this whole 270 concept.

In time you will learn to just say your tenderizing the meat.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,784 Senior Member
    Beautiful! Someday I’d like to build a rifle out of a 98 action.....maybe even 270! 
    When I hunted South Africa, the 3 pros I met all carried 270’s when not in pursuit of dangerous game.
    funny stuff!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    GunNut said:
    Antonio said:

Bye amigo

Okay, gotta admit, that was a pretty good burn..........

But someday, probably in the afterlife, you're gonna roast for that.

Mike
    I agree... 😈

even if I have to start clubbing game with it to make it effective 🤣

I can see your still getting used to this whole 270 concept.

In time you will learn to just say your tenderizing the meat.
    Should be effective.  The darn thing weights 9.5 lbs 😱

bellcat said:
    Beautiful! Someday I’d like to build a rifle out of a 98 action.....maybe even 270! 
    When I hunted South Africa, the 3 pros I met all carried 270’s when not in pursuit of dangerous game.
    funny stuff!
    Interesting!  Never knew that...

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Im surprised it even makes enough noise to cause that heart condition to be an issue.  Should have gone with the far more powerful and effective moose cartridge of 6.5x55.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    The obsession on this board with the 270 is funny.  The round has probably taken every game animal in N America. 

All the new wonder cartridges can’t make deer, elk, moose more dead. 
    To some of us, .270 IS the new wonder cartridge, and the wonder is why someone would bother with a .30-06 that was picked before it was ripe. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,749 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    GunNut said:

Im surprised it even makes enough noise to cause that heart condition to be an issue.  Should have gone with the far more powerful and effective moose cartridge of 6.5x55.
    If they weren't so damn loud, I probably wouldn't have to wear hearing aids. :wink:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,430 Senior Member
    edited June 24 #50
    Bigslug said:
    Personally, I'd lose the scope - life is too short to live with friction dials.
    Shoot it till it quits working, Leupold will fix it.

Looks good Wambli, looking forward to a range report. Oh, and don't listen to Zee, it will have too much recoil for his bad wing, my shoulder is fine and I already have the reloading components :)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,629 Senior Member
    Good looking rifle in a great caliber.  I like the Old School look of rifles of that era. The comb on that stock is unusual because it's high, which should make looking thru a scope easier.  Couldn't sleep last night so I got up at 3 a.m. and waxed three rifles with Feed n Wax. One of which is a Mauser 30-06, maybe a cigarette rifle, maybe not.  All look better.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,288 Senior Member

The obsession on this board with the 270 is funny.  The round has probably taken every game animal in N America. 

That is the idea. 
    No one really has a dislike of the 270, its that a while ago a member was touting it as the Right Hand of GOD for smiting anything. The organic push back was amusing, though it didnt stop the champion of the 270 as Zeus's primary weapon, which made it more amusing. It has developed into a running gag that everyone knows the answers for.

Its a darn fine coyote rifle for small women and kids or to use once you are old and infirm.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

That is the idea. 
    No one really has a dislike of the 270, its that a while ago a member was touting it as the Right Hand of GOD for smiting anything. The organic push back was amusing, though it didnt stop the champion of the 270 as Zeus's primary weapon, which made it more amusing. It has developed into a running gag that everyone knows the answers for.

Its a darn fine coyote rifle for small women and kids or to use once you are old and infirm.
    As long as all proper barrel break-in procedures are followed 😎

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,288 Senior Member
    You have to use chipmunks in skirts because its a 270 for the barrel break in dance

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    You have to use chipmunks in skirts because its a 270 for the barrel break in dance

Great!  I just used naked chipmunks...  My loincloth was rough burlap.  Will that make up for it or do I have to start again?

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,738 Senior Member
    That depends, what phase is the moon in?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,825 Senior Member
    I think you just enjoy dancing in a loin cloth since the rifle was born in 52 I seriously doubt a break in is needed :D  
     or to use once you are old and infirm.

I thought you two were friends ?
    Even I didn't go there.
    May have thought it.

Brother. Hope you know I do like that rifle....it has class. 

sakodude said:
    I think you just enjoy dancing in a loin cloth since the rifle was born in 52 I seriously doubt a break in is needed :D  
    Oh yeah, there is that...  Actually damn barrel rifling looks like new.

edited June 24 #60
    Freezer said:
    That depends, what phase is the moon in?
    How the hell would I know?!?!?  I’m not allowed out after dark...

or to use once you are old and infirm.

I thought you two were friends ?
    Even I didn't go there.
    May have thought it.

Brother. Hope you know I do like that rifle....it has class. 

He’s rough on his friends.  And yes I do like this one.  I only wish it was like a pound lighter.  Even my .35 Whelen is only 7.5 lbs.  I like light rifles.