Home Main Category Hunting

Good hunting rifle for woman?

AimcatAimcat Posts: 15 New Member
I'm 5'7 athletic build, what would be a good deer and large game hunting rifle for me? I dont like a lot of recoil. Budget 850 or less. 

Replies

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,403 Senior Member
    edited June 25 #2
    Howa, Tikka, Remington, Ruger, Savage all offer rifles that reasonably priced.  Also look into the used market.  Depending on what you mean by "Large Game," and what distances you are realistically considering...
    243 Winchester, 6mm Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 25-06 can all do a good job and deer sized game.
    Assuming you are going to be using factory ammo?
    Is your budget include a scope and rings, or is that separate?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • AimcatAimcat Posts: 15 New Member
    Budget for scope setup is extra. Budget listed is just for gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,446 Senior Member
    edited June 25 #4
    There's lots of .270s out there..Damn fine coyote rifles....sorry, but I had to do that...   :)
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 4,367 Senior Member
    With that budget you have a lot of good options on makers and Ernie just mentioned most of my favorites.  For low recoil I’d go that a .243, .260 or a 7mm-08 (my daughter’s deer rifle is a 7mm-08) on the top end.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,367 Senior Member
    edited June 25 #6
    Savage 308win..

Edit
    Recoil is generally only a problem from the bench. Good ear protection and a Past recoil pad can mitigate fatigue there. You'll never notice the kick when fired in the field.

A lower power scope will be easier to use most of the time. 4× to 7× should handle anything needed.

There are many cartridge choices, but the 308win is never a bad one. Im also 5'7" but Im a middle aged deteriorated build. I have a 308win and like it.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,193 Senior Member
    .243 and 7mm-08 will probably be the most readily available ammo. 
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,446 Senior Member
    Pretty much anything that uses a .308 case as a parent cartridge will work nicely...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • AimcatAimcat Posts: 15 New Member
    I read the .243 has the least recoil but not good for long range or if i ever did elk hunting? The .308 seems to have more recoil but be very versatile.
    for deer and elk, I would consider the 7mm-08, 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, and the 25-06. 
    Shot placement is the main key, but a bullet is constructed to take a bigger animal is always important. Deer are pretty easy to kill. 
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited June 25 #11
    Are you wanting to shoot at longer distances for fun? 
    Are you wanting to hunt at longer distances? 
    Combination of both?  
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,367 Senior Member
    I have no experience with the 7mm08 but I'd like to. Modern bullets give the smaller cartridges capability beyond what they had when their reputations were formed with the shooting and hunting public. Something to keep in mind. 
    I have killed a number of elk and mule deer with the performance of the 7mm-08.
    Kids have killed a couple of elk with the 260 Remington.
    A good solid bottomed muzzle brake will allow you to jump to a larger cartridge if desired, with incredible recoil reduction
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,547 Senior Member
    Aimcat, first of all, welcome to the forum.  I hope you enjoy it here.  There's a lot of knowledgeable folks who are willing to share what they know.  I don't think you can go wrong with Ernie's recommendations.

The only thing I have to add is that you google "low recoil ammunition".  There are a number of ammo manufacturers who offer low recoil ammo that you might find suitable for your needs, especially if you don't have a lot of experience shooting high power rifles.  And, as your experience grows, you may find you become more accustomed to recoil and can handle higher recoil.

Also, be sure to wear good hearing protection when practicing.  You don't want to end up deaf as a post like so many of us in here.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,854 Senior Member
    Where will you be hunting?  A good choice for central TX whitetails might not be the best choice for shooting a monster mule deer across a canyon in Colorado.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    My thoughts, a Tikka T3 light in .243 win.  It's hard to beat the rifle when it comes to function and accuracy.  The .243 win is mild enough in recoil and great bullet selections for deer and hogs.  Just a great caliber and rifle! 

Best of luck which ever the way the winds take you, and welcome aboard! 
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,171 Senior Member
    edited June 25 #17
    I’ve killed a lot of things with a lot of different cartridges, I’ve learned that bullet type and bullet placement trumps caliber. 
    To consistently be effective, you must consistently shoot well.  So, choosing a rifle/cartridge you can shoot well is paramount. 
    I honestly think the first course of action is choosing a rifle platform that fits you and your intended style of hunting.  Once you’ve found a rifle capable of becoming an extension of oneself......then......you can select a cartridge. Because if you the rifle doesn’t fit your make and need......the cartridge doesn’t matter. You’ll never shoot it to your full potential. 

That said, your best bet would be to hit the gun stores and find that one rifle that is capable of becoming an extension of yourself. Don’t just hold it standing up. Shoulder it standing. Lean on the counter and support it like shooting from a bench. If they let you, get down prone and try it as well. Working the bolt from all positions if possible. You can’t window shop the perfect rifle. You need to make sure it fits every aspect of your need. 

Then, we can play with cartridges. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited June 25 #18
    Options I think are paramount or at least worth considering. 

Adjustable Stock
    Adjustable Trigger
    Able to accept a multi slotted Scope base
    Free floated barrel. 
    Threaded Muzzle
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,195 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Options I think are paramount or at least worth considering. 

Adjustable Stock
    Adjustable Trigger
    Able to accept a multi slotted Scope base
    Free floated barrel. 
    Threaded Muzzle
    What Zee is saying is that he is recommending a Savage :)
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=accufit-110

That's an inside joke, but, I think you can get all of that on the above list with a Savage rifle and probably in a "package gun" with a scope. Get the Savage hat too, all the cool kids wear them ;)
    I am a Savage rifle fan, more so than Zee.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    If that’s what it takes. 😉
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,996 Senior Member
    The approach we took for my Mom was a Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 with the alterations of removing the rear sight and Scout scope rail, conventionally mounting a scope over the receiver using Ruger's standard rings, and adding a Surefire muzzle brake to reduce recoil.  Nice thing about the platform is you can add or remove shims to change the length of the stock.

Liked hers so much I bought one of my own.  I would like it better if it had a hinged floorplate instead of the detachable magazine, but it'll do.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 437 Member
    I've seen the 260 Remington and 6.5 Creed mentioned but not a 6.5x55 Swede. In a modern rifle to me at least it would be even better.
    I've seen the 260 Remington and 6.5 Creed mentioned but not a 6.5x55 Swede. In a modern rifle to me at least it would be even better.

Better how?
    Less recoil than the other two?
    Better factory options for ammunition?
    Better bullet selections in factory ammo?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,389 Senior Member
    As much as I want to back the 6.5x55 suggestion, actually working on loading some today, i just cant go with it for this situation.  While it is a fine cartridge, readily available factory ammunition is not always an option.  Finding a rifle chambered in 6.5x55 is also not as easy as a .260 and not even  close to 6.5 CM offerings.   I load mine for use in a M96, so I dont hot rod it.  If I had a M98 or a Ruger M77 i might push things some though.

I would say something in the .308 family of cartridges would work just fine for most situations.  I like 7mm-08, but that may be due to shooting that cartridge some when i was a kid.  .308 is very versatile depending on how its loaded as well.
    edited June 28 #25

Better how?
    Less recoil than the other two?
    Better factory options for ammunition?
    Better bullet selections in factory ammo?
    I did say for me.
    Definitely easier to find than 260 Remington and yes far more factory options.
    I reload and it has more case capacity. Recoil what's the real difference?  Same bullets same caliber yet it wasn't even mentioned.

If she were to pick up a CZ FS and it fit her just pointing out it would be a "very" viable option.

Ernie was there Something about my comment or the 6.5 Swede you found offensive ?

I think your a good guy and the callout seems odd
    Nothing you said was offensive.
    I was curious to your reasoning.
    She said she didn't like recoil, I was curious as to why you would encourage upping case capacity above the Creed/308 based cases?
    Making an assumption (Could be flat wrong here), but since she is asking this type of question, reloading is probably not in the cards.
    I am not anti Swede.
    I am also not against bigger cartridges...I shoot a lot of bigger cartridges.
    FWIW-I have a 6.5 Swede RIFLE. 
    A left hand Tikka, that shoots lights out. First shot connection from cold bore at 500 yards, shooting at the right target.  Dan E. later did a three shot group on the left target.

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    edited June 28 #27
    OK I gave it as I think it "can" be as good or better with "negligible" difference in recoil perhaps even less going with factory ammo at SAAMI specs.

We're good as I said it just seemed odd.
    Around me I might be able to find one or two factory options for the 6.5x55.  I can usually find at least 5 options for the .260, and the 6.5 CM has way more options that I care to count.  

As much as I like the 6.5x55, it just doesnt have the factory backing the other two have.  I have also found that the factory offerings I have been able to find in the past are either really weak or above what I am willing to run through my current rifle.  I have debated having a 6.5x55 done on a M98 action for some time.

At least the advent of the 6.5 CM has increased bullet options for those that use the old Swede.
    I looked on midway after my post and found a lot of 6.5x55 ammo and it was substantially cheaper than what 260 Remington even from the same manufacturers with the same bullets could be had for.

I still don't think it's a bad recommendation at all.
    Go look for it in a store though.  Around me, it's not very common.  Not everyone has the option of ordering it online.

Go look for a 6.5x55 rifle in a store where you can see how it fits.  I have come across 3 and two were used rifles.  It's a fine cartridge, just not something I would recommend for someone rifle shopping when they are new to this.

Mine has been used on a fox and a small white tail.  Hopefully this year a bigger white tail.  Being built on a M96 I limit what it gets fed since it wasnt designed for high pressure cartridges.  I dont trust some of the factory loads out there when they claim velocities well above book max velocities.  If I was concerned about going after bigger game I would be tempted to use the 160gr RN and limit my range.  

Yes, it's a good cartridge that is versatile just like quite a few other cartridges mentioned.  Its limitation is that it isnt one of the new or even past wonder cartridges that have readily available rifles and ammunition in brick and mortar stores.  Availability to pick up at a store is why I dont recommend it in this case.
    edited June 28 #31
    Around me you don't find 260 Remington especially cheap.
    What's the difference in picking up a FS cz  chambered in 22 or 6.5 a bit of weight ? 
    I think it's a very good option.To "me" better than the creed or 260
     and put it out there.

I guess she can decide if it's viable or off the wall.

I'm done with the thread.