Home Main Category General Firearms

Cross Eye Dominance - Handguns

JKPJKP Senior MemberPosts: 2,232 Senior Member
This is interesting. I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot long guns left handed but not handguns.

I'm going to try this next time I go to the range. I've  never had issues per se, but i can sometimes tell my accuracy suffers a bit due to poor alignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=347&v=3JHCvmvrJlE&feature=emb_logo

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    I have the same issue....solved it by simply tilting my head slightly to the right as part of the the draw stroke...been doing it so long Now I don't even think about it...

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,658 Senior Member
    I am in the same boat. Right handed but left eye dominant. Shoot rifle and pool left but pistol with my right. I have been using that method since I was 10 with handguns. I thought everyone did.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    I have the same issue....solved it by simply tilting my head slightly to the right as part of the the draw stroke...been doing it so long Now I don't even think about it...

Ditto.  I am a decent pistol shot, but probably need to learn how to shoot long guns left handed.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,550 Senior Member
    My son is a left handed, right eye dominant, ambidextrous. So, after studying him when he was a little Tike and seeing what he did with what hand, I started him shooting rifles right handed when he was 4. 

Put me in the bad instructor category. I taught my boy to shoot right handed with both rifle and pistol. 

He writes left handed. 
    He throws right handed. 
    He catches both handed. 
    He draws/colors both handed. 
    He eats both handed. 

So, I taught him how to shoot right handed. And the boy out shoots many. 

That guy can kiss my butt. It depends on the individual. There are no absolutes in learning to shoot. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    I'm partially ambidextrous. I just let my son find his own way on it and offer instruction on form and whatever else Ive learned along the way. I've never tested myself to see what eye was dominant. 

I do sometimes try new techniques to see if they work for me. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,664 Senior Member
    Many years ago at the range, a old Master Sergeant was watching me shoot.  I already had shot expert several times and was hoping to go to sniper school.  He said, your eyes are off and had me attempt to shoot left handed.  From a rest I did fairly well, but my coordination to operate the controls of a M-16 was dismal. 
    Back to right handed right eye I went and by the end of 3 days I became a platoon marksman, but because of the eye issue did not attend sniper school.  Fast forward to today, I still remember that old MSG muttering !@#$!! the kid could be good if not for his eye.  He taught me to aim with both eyes open, but just before pressing the trigger to close my left eye when using a scope.  Handguns it doesn't make a difference for me
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,010 Senior Member
    My wife is cross dominant, and just tilts her head to shoot handguns.  

Rifle is a different story.  Still have not figured out a good way to do that.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,763 Senior Member
    My wife is cross dominant, and just tilts her head to shoot handguns.  

Rifle is a different story.  Still have not figured out a good way to do that.
    Is she shooting rifles right or left handed? I shoot long gunsleft-handed and hand guns right
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

I do the same, sort of. My Dad just taught me to close my left eye when shooting rifle or pistol. He was right handed left eye dominant, too.
    When I joined the Navy and was 'voluntold' into the Guard Force for protecting/guarding the missile houses and such I got sent to Norfolk area for training by Marines on the shooting stuff. GSgt. caught me closing my left eye and after some 'intense conversation' showed me how to 'address the target' by turning my body slightly to the right. This put my right arm and pistol slightly across my chest and forced me to use my left eye for shooting. Left support arm position ended up being more steady, too. And then he did some more intense training on all of us to shoot with the non dominant hand. That GSgt. had a colorful vocabulary, yelled a lot, and was a darned good teacher. The other Marines there teaching mostly just made sure we didn't shoot each other. :D After I left the Navy I continued to use what I was taught, and practiced shooting left and right handed with a pistol. Still close my left eye when shooting from right side with a rifle. I could shoot a rifle equally well off either shoulder.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 266 Member
    Just put a red dot on all your pistols, leave both eyes open.  Turned my daughter into ladies state champion.