Home Main Category General Firearms

Barrel Length

ojrojr Senior MemberPosts: 1,071 Senior Member
I always thought barrel length was measured from closed bolt face to the muzzle
However seems some manufactures have a different way of measuring.

I'll elaborate after a reply or two but what is your expectation of Barrel length.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,286 Senior Member
    The correct length of a barrel is measured from muzzle to breech.  Breech on a bolt action is the back of the barrel and the breech face of the bolt locks up against it.  On a semiauto pistol the length of the barrel includes the chamber.  On a revolver it includes the threaded area that screws into the frame.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,071 Senior Member
    Then Gun Nut, please measure your Kimber rifle and tell me what the result it.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    GunNut's definition is what I thought was the standard.

Modern change does introduce the question of what is the muzzle? I think the crown where rifling terminates, but threaded barrels, brakes etc., maybe convolute the answer???
    ojr said:
    Then Gun Nut, please measure your Kimber rifle and tell me what the result it.
    I won’t have time until later today but I will.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut's definition is what I thought was the standard.

Modern change does introduce the question of what is the muzzle? I think the crown where rifling terminates, but threaded barrels, brakes etc., maybe convolute the answer???
    Not really.  According to the ATF if they are permanently attached (welded, pinned, epoxied) then they are part of the barrel measurement.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,770 Senior Member
    I think GunNut has the barrel length thing down spot on. At least on a Federal level. Your states mileage may vary...i.e., Cali or some of those other anti states.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,357 Senior Member
    edited June 27 #8
    ojr said:
    I always thought barrel length was measured from closed bolt face to the muzzle
    However seems some manufactures have a different way of measuring.

I'll elaborate after a reply or two but what is your expectation of Barrel length.

imo/fwiw,

you need to take into account, someone may break out a leatherman and use that to measure, or use their hand or whatever they have handy at the time.

Also, someone may think they know how to measure where in the real world, and they and give a number.

then there is "close enough"

then you have oops.  Ive does it on things and im sure im not alone.  its why i do the "measure 2x, cut once"

so what you may "expect" to read/see may not be so and will depend on how the person measured - if you can call it that - has done it.

also, you have no idea on what mods have been done.  maybe have the barrel shortened? or maybe a flash hider?  At one time some AR carbines came out with short barrels so the OEM ? welded on some long flash hiders to make them complaint.  Even though the actual rifled barrel was short, with the welded on flash hider, it became complaint.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,292 Senior Member
    The ATF rule is pretty simple.  And it's the same for a shotgun, too.

Highlights of LEGAL BRIEF Discussion of Barrel Length and Firearm Overall Length

"The ATF procedure to measure the length of a barrel is to measure from the closed bolt or breech face to the furthest end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. ATF considers a muzzle device that has been permanently attached to be part of the barrel and therefore counts towards the length."

Some manufacturers I've noticed will give a barrel length, and actual measured length is mostly longer, especially on minimum legal length barrels. Not by much, but they're longer. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams