Home Main Category Clubhouse

Or Carp

N454casullN454casull MemberPosts: 611 Senior Member
Top one went just over 21lbs. The bottom one that’s smuggling a football was just over 20lbs. There was 2 of us and we shot 140ish fish that day. 

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,310 Senior Member
    Damn!!!  Beasts 😱
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Nice, best I ever did was 2----- 30 pounders on the same shot.

I was surprised that the one that the arrow pasted through did not rip off the line.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,508 Senior Member
    Well done!
    Do you eat them?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    I once caught a 12 lb carp on an ultra light rig with 4 lb test. Thought I had one hellluva blue cat. Disappointing.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 611 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Well done!
    Do you eat them?
    Nope, we sink them and turtles and crawdads get to. 

There are people who do eat them but they are an oily fish with a lot of small bones. They feed by sifting thru the mud so yea they taste like mud. 

Lowering the numbers in the lake is the main idea. They are invasive and when feeding will destroy nest of more desirable fish. 
    In Louisiana there's a species of carp called buffalo. Ate it a lot as a kid. Liked it then, in spite of the small bones.  As I aged, I didn't like it so much and I'd likely gag if I tried it now. OTOH, I'm not really fond of rainbow trout, for the same reasons. Oily and full of feather bones.

Bluegill.....that's where it's really at.

Mike
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,508 Senior Member
    👍🏻
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,138 Senior Member
    When bord I go to the small local lakes (ponds) with bread. Roll it into a ball and put it on a small hook with a bobber.  Using lightweight spinning gear they are a blast and I get a work out chasing them up and down the bank. Average is about 20 lbs for grass carp down here.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,810 Senior Member
    Ate some smoked carp once------very greasy------edible.
    I’ve seen quite a few people out fly fishing for them. They are a hard fighting fish. They call them golden tarpon. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Any carp recipe that doesn't involve a board is just wrong.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    In Louisiana there's a species of carp called buffalo. Ate it a lot as a kid. Liked it then, in spite of the small bones.  As I aged, I didn't like it so much and I'd likely gag if I tried it now. OTOH, I'm not really fond of rainbow trout, for the same reasons. Oily and full of feather bones.

Mike
    Bluegill same day. We caught a bunch just smaller than this guy.  This one my buddy caught in his other hand he has a 3lbs large mouth. I edited the picture to cut out his face lol he’s not interested in being internet famous. 

THOSE are what I prefer to catch and eat. Unfortunately, in Colorado they don't get much bigger than a silver dollar and the limit is 25. Not worth heating the grease.

There's not much I miss about Louisiana, but I sure do miss those.

Mike
    N454casull
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member

Mike
    Yes👍
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,452 Senior Member
    Here in East TN the recipe for carp and shad is the same. Clean and scale carp or shad. Get a pine board big enough to hold the fish  and bake the carp/shad on board in the oven. When done, scrape carp/shad off board and eat the board.
    LOVE me some good sized bluegill! They're some good eats! :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Here in East TN the recipe for carp and shad is the same. Clean and scale carp or shad. Get a pine board big enough to hold the fish  and bake the carp/shad on board in the oven. When done, scrape carp/shad off board and eat the board.
    LOVE me some good sized bluegill! They're some good eats! :)
    Hence my earlier comment (about the board, not bluegills).
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    edited June 2020 #18
    Caught these monsters while playing Red Dead Redemption Lol!!!

See the source image