Home Main Category Clubhouse

What tools of your Father do you still have?

NNNN Senior MemberPosts: 24,505 Senior Member
A few of these date back to my Grandfather




Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia

Replies

  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,368 Senior Member
    Most of these including the box are from my Dad.

    As is this old tool box. I think its an old RR box. He restored and painted it. 

    He's still alive BTW..
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    edited June 28 #3
    All of his power tools, electrician's tools, meters, etc. Most of his wrenches, screwdrivers and such I passed on to my son-in-law as they were duplicates of what I already have, but I kept his gigantic pair of Channel-Loks.
    Most awesome drill ever:
    The best I can tell, this "Thor" drill dates back to at least the 1930s, maybe earlier. The occasional eBay search turns up a fair number of Thors, but never one like this. Dad paid $100 for it in about 1949, which was a LOT of money back then, and it certainly wasn't new. I did a complete tear down/inspect/lube on it just before I left Commiefornia, its still in fantastic shape - nothing can stop it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,193 Senior Member
    My Dad is still alive so he still has most of his,tools. A few have migrated to my shop though.

    I have several hand tools that belonged to my grandfather. I also have his vise that can be used as a hand drill. Idk what brand it is. I'm too embarrassed with the condition of my shop to post any pictures of the vise. I also have my great grandfather 's hand cranked forge. It's not in good shape.
  • 2Aman2Aman Member Posts: 332 Member
    zorba said:
    All of his power tools, electrician's tools, meters, etc. Most of his wrenches, screwdrivers and such I passed on to my son-in-law as they were duplicates of what I already have, but I kept his gigantic pair of Channel-Loks.
    Most awesome drill ever:
    The best I can tell, this "Thor" drill dates back to at least the 1930s, maybe earlier. The occasional eBay search turns up a fair number of Thors, but never one like this. Dad paid $100 for it in about 1949, which was a LOT of money back then, and it certainly wasn't new. I did a complete tear down/inspect/lube on it just before I left Commiefornia, its still in fantastic shape - nothing can stop it!
    That looks awesome, very cool. I still haven’t found a battery powered drill that can handle a 6” hole-saw. I use Dad’s old corded 1/2” Dewalt and it does fine. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,368 Senior Member
    Zorba did you give Thor a new power cord when you had it apart??? Cord looks new. You could drill a hole to Valhalla with that beast!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    All of his power tools, electrician's tools, meters, etc. Most of his wrenches, screwdrivers and such I passed on to my son-in-law as they were duplicates of what I already have, but I kept his gigantic pair of Channel-Loks.
    Most awesome drill ever:
    The best I can tell, this "Thor" drill dates back to at least the 1930s, maybe earlier. The occasional eBay search turns up a fair number of Thors, but never one like this. Dad paid $100 for it in about 1949, which was a LOT of money back then, and it certainly wasn't new. I did a complete tear down/inspect/lube on it just before I left Commiefornia, its still in fantastic shape - nothing can stop it!
    Wow! I still have my Dad's 'Thor'! What a beast! He bought his in 1947. If he paid $100 he would never have admitted it. So far it has never been defeated. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    2Aman said:
    That looks awesome, very cool. I still haven’t found a battery powered drill that can handle a 6” hole-saw. I use Dad’s old corded 1/2” Dewalt and it does fine. 
    It laughs at large hole saws!

    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    Zorba did you give Thor a new power cord when you had it apart??? Cord looks new. You could drill a hole to Valhalla with that beast!
    Yes. It had a rather long SO cable style cord on it the whole time I was growing up, but Dad replaced it with a super-short 18/3 (!!). Only an Electrician would have done that!
    This one came off a piece of equipment that was being scrapped, is 10 feet long and is 10/3. Lights blink when you pull the trigger!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    2Aman said:
    That looks awesome, very cool. I still haven’t found a battery powered drill that can handle a 6” hole-saw. I use Dad’s old corded 1/2” Dewalt and it does fine. 
    It laughs at large hole saws!

    Just make sure there is nothing you don't want a large hole in behind what you are cutting. I bought a nearly new (5 months old) house in 1994. The decks, and railings were stapled together and were already getting wobbly. I purchased a box of 1,000 3.5 inch deck screws. I tried to drive the first one in with my 3/8 inch Black and Decker corded drill. The screw went nearly 1/2 inch in before the wimpy drill just buzzed. I resurected 'Thor'. The first screw head was countersunk 1/4 inch. With a little practice of taking some weight off the monster I could get 1/8 inch. 


  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    I've had that happen too - driving screws with this is "interesting". I just give it a very quick click of the trigger, and it slews around a couple of turns! Close to the end, its easiest to pull back on the drill because as you found out: it doesn't mind countersinking into *anything*!
    Do you have a picture of your Thor?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,919 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I've had that happen too - driving screws with this is "interesting". I just give it a very quick click of the trigger, and it slews around a couple of turns! Close to the end, its easiest to pull back on the drill because as you found out: it doesn't mind countersinking into *anything*!
    Do you have a picture of your Thor?

     

    It's in my storage unit. I will take a photo. It looks like the offside handle of yours is the same threaded steel pipe.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 437 Member
    Zorba my dad didn't do things small either.


  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 437 Member
    The ones that mean something to me though are the hand tools the hammers saws and such.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    edited June 29 #15
    Love that Ingersol-Rand! Nice compressor too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 said:
    It's in my storage unit. I will take a photo. It looks like the offside handle of yours is the same threaded steel pipe.
    Yea, I think that was pretty standard back in the day.

    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    edited June 29 #17
    The ones that mean something to me though are the hand tools the hammers saws and such.
    I lean more  towards his power tools, meters, and similar, but yea, I have his hammers and a few other hand tools as well. Something very special about handling and using them - and his guns as well.
    I remember - partially - another story about that Thor drill. He had to leave security for "something" in an emergency - maybe a gas can or somesuch, don't remember. Whatever it was, the guy providing it was happy to take the drill as a security deposit!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,505 Senior Member
    edited June 29 #18
    This Makita sander rigged with a cut off disk belonged to Clean's Father; he used it in his business to cut off exhaust and muffler parts.


    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,619 Senior Member
    Dad was an auto mechanic and have no idea what happened to his tools, Wouldn't be surprised if they were left at the last place he worked.


  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    rberglof said:
    Dad was an auto mechanic and have no idea what happened to his tools, Wouldn't be surprised if they were left at the last place he worked.


    Sounds like he was DONE!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,619 Senior Member
    When he turned 50 he never went back to work, from then on he just drank.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    I'm sorry...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,619 Senior Member
    edited June 30 #23
    That's OK it's what he did most of his life anyway.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 22,984 Senior Member
    That sucks - musta not been much fun when you were a kid.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,619 Senior Member
    No fun at all. Holidays being the worst.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement