Home Main Category General Firearms

Throw ideas at me boys.

JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 439 Member
I've been making a killing selling on gunbroker lately with some of the random, custom builds I've been doing  and I'm running out of ideas now. I have a nice blued Ruger M77 action (small bolt face) and I have an idea but I'm not sure about it. I like making weird things anyhow, so I want to try something different although I stay with whats trending. Enter 350 Legend. It doesn't really blow my skirt up (maybe Zorbas?) 😆 but people are talking about it and I have the action. I'm going for quick turnaround and can usually build a custom rifle within the week so I'm thinking a stainless heavy varmint contour in one of the Pro Varmint Boyd's stocks. No glass since everyone has their own opinions on what's worth what. Itll be glass bedded, free floated, target crown, etc.... Opinions, thoughts, ideas?

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,827 Senior Member
    Probably just me but I see the legend as a compact woods walking rifle. 16" light contour barrel with a Forward scout scope mount. 
    Probably my favorite rifle I own is the old version Ruger Frontier scout, the one before the GunSite scout.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,310 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    Probably just me but I see the legend as a compact woods walking rifle. 16" light contour barrel with a Forward scout scope mount. 
    Probably my favorite rifle I own is the old version Ruger Frontier scout, the one before the GunSite scout.
    This.  I think a .350 Legend should be a 5lb walkabout gun.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 439 Member
    See, I wondered about that too since its not exactly a stellar long range chambering but I figured I'd go for something different that would stand out and grab somebody scrolling through gunbrokers attention.

See, I wondered about that too since its not exactly a stellar long range chambering but I figured I'd go for something different that would stand out and grab somebody scrolling through gunbrokers attention.

No match bullets in that caliber, so I’d be worried I’d end with a heavy barrel mediocre accuracy gun.  But I would forgive not getting sub .5 MOA accuracy out of a pencil thin barreled bolt action that was light as a feather.

You know what would be cool!  A 16” barreled ultra-light carbine in .35 Remington.  The Remington Custom shop used to make a Model 7 so chambered years ago.  Always wanted one....

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

That would be something built as ordered since its pretty specific, but you're right, that would be pretty cool. I'm just trying to appeal to the people that get drunk and browse on gunbroker 😆
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,156 Senior Member
    Start with a fairly chunky barrel with a brake deigned specifically to reduce muzzle climb on it - or better still, a suppressor. Give it a forward rail section that enables an NVD to feed into your daylight scope.  Once you figure out what will be attached, turn the barrel down to achieve perfect balance.  Hog killer that enables rapid rinse and repeat.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Be prepared for feed issues.  I have a Rem. 700-AAC that is in the process of being made into a .358x1.71 (using .223 basic brass) and getting it to feed has been the biggest issue.  .300 BO or .223 is no issue, .350L is iffy and the .358x1.71 is not going well at all.  I am starting to think there is a reason that just about all the .350L rifles I see use roughly the same style of magazine.  I dont want the limitations of an AR magazine though.  If it comes down to being able to get .350L to feed reliably I may change this into a .358-.350L.

With minimal development using .358 bullets sized down to .356 I was able to work up a few sub MOA loads for a .350L.  180gr bullet running around 2100 FPS is in the upper range of .35 Remington load data.  With different powder I can get a little more velocity, but I liked how the powder I was using was behaving compared to the other options.  Factory .350L ammunition was a joke in my rifle.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 528 Senior Member
    Not sure of bolt face but what about a 224 valkarie? 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,232 Senior Member
    edited June 30 #10
    6mm BR. Excellent cartridge for a lightweight gun. I have one that is my go to carrying around gun. 

And it's definitely different in a lightweight profile...
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,021 Senior Member
    If you go 350 Legend, make it a short THREADED (with thread protector) barrel with either suppressor height irons or a forward scout rail.  The scout rail would support any of the red-dots, and leave the action top open for reloading the internal mag.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,350 Senior Member
    Would the new 6.5mm ARC work?
    If you go 350 Legend, make it a short THREADED (with thread protector) barrel with either suppressor height irons or a forward scout rail.  The scout rail would support any of the red-dots, and leave the action top open for reloading the internal mag.

Ok so now this is getting interesting.  Can you get a DM bottom metal for the Ruger action?  Specifically something that takes the AR type mags?

AR magazines really limits options with the .350L.  My rifle doesnt shoot .355 bullets well,  so I have been resizing. 358 to .356.  Since my only motivation was to use the rifle to start. 358x1.71 load development this is not a huge worry for me.   The 350L bullets are on the short side to work with AR length limitations. 

I have little to no experience with this action so anything I decide to do will need research. The only thing I'm sure of is the bolt face being for 223 sized rim diameters. I believe the Valkarie is larger off the top of my head.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,889 Senior Member
    edited June 30 #17
    Just me rambling, but as others have said, I think the 350L with a heavy barrel is a non-starter and pretty much defeats the purpose of the round.
    Just me typing though

edited to add: or, to be more succinct, a barrel heavier than is needed to take threads for a silencer
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,739 Senior Member
    The 350 legend, IIRC, was developed for states that require straight wall cartridges for deer. That said I believe a light carry rifle would be the correct ticket. If 350L is your hearts desire make it fit that niche. 

Light synthetic stock, thin barrel, 1.5 x 5 scope should a good for 15 yds to 250 yrd thumper.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Correct, it was developed for states with rules like Michigan's "limited firearm zone".  In Mi it is limited to a straight walled case that is 1.160" to 1.800" in length and a minimum of .35 caliber, no apparent maximum diameter.   Some states spec a minimum of .357 diameter yet somehow allow the .350 Legend with its .355" bullet.

I went the larger route and have a .458x1.8.  Working on a .358x1.71 (.350L has a max case length of 1.710") that may just become a .358-.350 Legend.  I just dont enjoy the recoil associated with the big boys anymore.  If I knew how they would perform on game I would really think about loading subsonic 405gr cast lead loads for the .458.
    Then again, now that I’m think this through, a light .350 Legend built on a Ruger action is basically just a Ruger 77/357 no?  That’s to me would be a non starter...

It drives a 180gr bullet just about as fast a .35 Remington will.  I had an oops using published load data for a Hornady 170gr  and Hodgdon load data that resulted in me going back to my QL data.  Using the published start charge I was running at about 2500 FPS with some OBVIOUS pressure signs.  Using resized .358 180 and 200gr bullets I run in the  1900-2200 FPS range depending on which bullet I am playing with.  I mostly stick to IMR 4227 when I do play with it.  I have not tried any, but supposedly I should be able to send a 110gr bullet downrange at 2900 FPS.  Doubt a XTP would hold together at that velocity though.
    mitdr774 said:
    It drives a 180gr bullet just about as fast a .35 Remington will.  I had an oops using published load data for a Hornady 170gr  and Hodgdon load data that resulted in me going back to my QL data.  Using the published start charge I was running at about 2500 FPS with some OBVIOUS pressure signs.  Using resized .358 180 and 200gr bullets I run in the  1900-2200 FPS range depending on which bullet I am playing with.  I mostly stick to IMR 4227 when I do play with it.  I have not tried any, but supposedly I should be able to send a 110gr bullet downrange at 2900 FPS.  Doubt a XTP would hold together at that velocity though.
    Probably not up close but at 100 yards+ it should have slowed down some.  They have the BC of a brick, no?

Well, this idea has fizzled out since making this thread last night. I also didn't put into consideration that people on gunbroker are from all over the place and don't all have to adhere to stupid laws about straight wall cartridges like Michigan and Ohio. Regardless I want to build something, but it has to be different and eye catching so it'll sell fast. I'm just brain farting on what though.
    My concern is it even making it to the target in one piece.  If it held together it would be an effective varmint round at closer ranges I would imagine.

I was really only interested in 180-200gr range and with the exception of some 147gr 9mm FMJ, I mostly just play with the Speer 180gr Hot-Cor resized to .356".  I cant even chamber a cartridge with a .357" diameter bullet in it.  Winchester screwed the pooch with the chosen diameter of .355".  Once my .358x1.71 (or maybe .358-.350L) is done the Ruger .350L will go to a new home.
    Well, this idea has fizzled out since making this thread last night. I also didn't put into consideration that people on gunbroker are from all over the place and don't all have to adhere to stupid laws about straight wall cartridges like Michigan and Ohio. Regardless I want to build something, but it has to be different and eye catching so it'll sell fast. I'm just brain farting on what though.
    We’re not done brain storming.  How about a .257 Scooter? 😁

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,021 Senior Member
    I know a few people in TX that are looking at the Legend to be a suppressed pig whacker and also for white tails. And legally we can use “any centerfire”. Could use anything from .17Rem on up. 

Heck, technically you could use the FN 5.7... which is balistically identical to the 22Mag that you CAN’T use. 

Don’t give up on the Legend yet
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    GunNut said:
    It needs to be something that Joe Schmoe can order ammo at a local LGS or online for. 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    edited June 30 #28
    mitdr774 said:
      I just dont enjoy the recoil associated with the big boys anymore.  If I knew how they would perform on game I would really think about loading subsonic 405gr cast lead loads for the .458.
    They'll completely pass through the deer. Leaving behind a great big hole. Assuming proper shot placement, the deer will run a short distance, and fall over stone dead. Well your poking the dead deer in the eye with your muzzle to make sure its dead, the big lead slug will finally burry itself deep in the next county...... :)
    Thats what I would have thought about the 325gr FTX, but neither of the two followed a straight path after impact.  Both deer ran a lot further than they should have with the shots as well.  Not exactly used to seeing onside lung, heart, and stomach damage on a broadside shot....  
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,748 Senior Member
    Maybe bullet shape is as important as weight, size, and density. I became so used to my muzzle loader slugs doing the same thing on impact, but I hadn't thought about the shape.
    GunNut said:
    It needs to be something that Joe Schmoe can order ammo at a local LGS or online for. 
    .223 bolt face kind limits the selection...