Home Main Category General Firearms

Targeted practice Thursday... Good range day!

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,321 Senior Member
The operative word is targeted as in have a goal and develop a plan to get there!

I just got back from the range where I gave a really nice gentleman two hours of private instruction.  This is never going to be a run-n-gun guy.  All he wants is to be proficient enough to be able to get out of a jam.

As usual I asked him to wear his carry EDC rig to the range, as many that ask for this instruction he already has a CCW and a gun.  As soon as he walked on to my pistol lane I put him about 7 feet in front of the silhouette target and asked him to draw and shoot one shot to center of mass as if his life depended on it.

From when the timer went off it took him.................................... 10 SECONDS to get a somewhat COM first shot on a target.  I won't even describe what I saw.

We worked for two hours, modifying where he carries his gun and then walking him through a basic draw and presentation routine he could work with and easily remember and practice at home.  Broke it down into bite sized pieces for him so he could easily memorize steps, and make assessments when every step was done correctly.  Gave him a few things to practice at home. Solidified grip and stance.  Got the fundamentals into his head.  Gave him pictures and videos of what he learned.

At the end of two hours he was drawing his gun from concealment and addressing 3 targets EFFECTIVELY and ACCURATELY in under 9 seconds.  Slowly, smoothly and safely but determined and with the correct fundamentals and mindset that come from confidence!

Is he perfect? Nope.  Is he MUCH better off than when he got to the range this morning?  Oh HELL yeah!!!  And he now has the tools and confidence to get better.  He's doing a follow up and bringing his wife with him.  

Good day!!!

By comparison I was at a local range yesterday and decided I needed a little trigger time.  This is not target practice this is just LITERALLY front sight/pull, front sight/pull.  ANYWAY...

Next to me a young lady was taking a one hour lesson from a guy at this range.  Her target looked like a shotgun pattern and it was ALL I could do to stop myself from shoving this "instructor" over and taking her away.  She learned NOTHING, walked out of the place with a SIG 365 she just bought and absolutely no idea how to use it except load and pull the trigger.  At one point I heard the "instructor tell her he thought her sights were "off".  

She wasted her money and most important her TIME...

There's a lesson in there for everyone.
Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great day!

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,321 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great day!

Mike
    Yes it was!  Always amazes me the capacity humans have to learn...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

So now that I have another minute.  My whole point is that practice sessions, specially shooting for SD, need to have goals and a game plan.  It is quite Ok to just go and shoot!  That’s what I was doing yesterday.  One hundred rounds of JUST trigger control in less than one hour.  Does not need to be a complicated goal.

BUT, at times, folks should challenge themselves and figure out how to come off that range a better shooter than when you came in.  As Diver mentioned in another thread, maybe just walk out with an improved grip!

This will keep you interested and in case of SD shooting, ultimately safer!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    I guess the range was too crowded for you to pull out the 2..... the 27........the 27o....the TWO70 in case you were seen............

( Even my laptop is embarrassed to type the correct numbers)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman said:
    I guess the range was too crowded for you to pull out the 2..... the 27........the 27o....the TWO70 in case you were seen............

( Even my laptop is embarrassed to type the correct numbers)
    I don't know whatch'a talking about...  :#

Not a certified instructor, by any means, but one phrase I've found helpful when dealing with a complete newbie is.....

"It's what's in front of the barrel that needs to be scared....not who's behind it".

Seems to settle them down a little.

Mike
    N454casull
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    Good on you!

We might need to get together for another range session. I’ve learned much myself since the last time and have much to pass down. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    Zee said:
    Good on you!

We might need to get together for another range session. I’ve learned much myself since the last time and have much to pass down. 
    You say when and where!!!!!

Not a certified instructor, by any means, but one phrase I've found helpful when dealing with a complete newbie is.....

"It's what's in front of the barrel that needs to be scared....not who's behind it".

Seems to settle them down a little.

Mike
    Shamelessly stealing that 🤣🤣🤣

A few years back Zee was kind enough to share with my wife and I some of his knowledge, enough to give us solid fundamentals and like this gentleman today, a new sense of confidence so we could work from this knowledge base.  

My wife was a wreck when she got to the range.  A few days later on the way home my wife asked me to stop at my (at the time) favorite gun store and she bought 3 guns.  

The woman I saw talking to the salesman and the lady at the range from that day on had NOTHING but genetic makeup in common with the girl Zee started with.  

He opened up my eyes to the possibilities of what you can accomplish if there is knowledge and a plan to communicate kindly.  I’ve tried to pay his kindness forward as best I can.

Had dinner with Zee  a few years back, The conversation  eventually got around to CQ SD.
    Said he'd feint for my gun, and while I was fixated on protecting that, he'd grab the ballpoint pen from my shirt pocket and drive it into my eyeball.

Eye opener.....pardon the pun.

Mike
    N454casull
    Had dinner with Zee  a few years back, The conversation  eventually got around to CQ SD.
    Said he'd feint for my gun, and while I was fixated on protecting that, he'd grab the ballpoint pen from my shirt pocket and drive it into my eyeball.

Eye opener.....pardon the pun.

Mike
    Yeah, he knows a few tricks 🤣🤣🤣

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,588 Senior Member
    If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,412 Senior Member
    I probably should have gone to the range today too, instead I tried to go wheeling and found a huge wheel loader blocking the "bunny trail" I was gonna go on!
    Next week for sure!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Zee said:
    If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying. 
    I’ve memorized that one.

zorba said:
    I probably should have gone to the range today too, instead I tried to go wheeling and found a huge wheel loader blocking the "bunny trail" I was gonna go on!
    Next week for sure!
    Heat is also making it challenging for sure.  I’m trying to schedule range time early mornings so it’s a little more comfortable.  

How hot is it where you're shooting? I shoot indoors, which is both good and bad.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,681 Senior Member
    Being off work day, I planned on going to the indoor range this morning.  No Joy, closed again because of Covid.  Called Markham park, recording says the same thing.  They have closed bars, the beaches and anyplace you may be close again.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,793 Senior Member
    Nice job!!!!!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    I went out to shoot Thurs.; the mosquitoes were so bad I had to leave before I was drained of blood. 
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN said:
    I went out to shoot Thurs.; the mosquitoes were so bad I had to leave before I was drained of blood. 
    Why did you leave? An excellent marksmanship challenge! ;)

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,642 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    NN said:
    Why did you leave? An excellent marksmanship challenge! ;)
    What I have noticed in the past is that if you can stand it to get set up, the mosquitoes will back off while the shooting is going on.

Next time I will just spray after I get there. The little devils seem to not be able to catch me while I'm riding my bike-----if yellow flies are present, they have no problem catching someone on a bicycle.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    NN said:
    Thermacell!  I can’t believe you don’t have one!!!

zorba said:
    How hot is it where you're shooting? I shoot indoors, which is both good and bad.
    I did my trigger practice on Wednesday indoors at a future partner’s range.  It was worse!!!  And I had an AR on either side of me, so I was sweating my balls off AND it was raining brass everywhere.   Talk about having to shoot through the distractions!  I was pretty proud of myself 😁

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    Went to the range for some load workup and load confirmation for .243, 6.5x55, and .458x1.8.  Well one was a success with a bonus up being about 75 FPS faster than the book suggested it should be.  Other than that I sweat my balls off and had a frustrating trip, but the .243 will shoot 85gr InterBonds decent enough.