Home Main Category General Firearms

Scope mounts???

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
edited July 6 in General Firearms #1
You guys ever see or use these???

Guy said Weaver used to make em'.

I suppose increased scope quality made them obsolete. But I think they are very cool!

Found out some stuff online.

Apparently they were mostly for lever actions. Not exactly practical, but gloriously novel!

Replies

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    Not exactly sure what you're asking.  If it's for Weaver rings, yes. Hard to get right because they tightened on one side only and when you tightened them down on the scope, it would torque the scope around and cant it.  What you show, I think, is an offset/pivoting mount?
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Weaver Tip Offs...one problem with them...they move, which isn't something I want my optic to do...under any circumstances
     They harken back to a time when a scope failure was a defi,ite possibility and people retained iron sights in the eventuality...something folks drifted away from as scopes became more reliable...none of my scoped rifles have iron sights on them...
    And speaking of reliability, I dropped my 15 pound heavy .308 and it landed on the scope on frozen ground...right on the turret...when ai took it to the range to see what kind of damage so had done...it was 1 click off in elevation...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Yes, tip off or pivot mount. Glad I asked. Couldn't see the potential for canting the scope. That and the quality/durability pf modern scopes must have led to their obsolescence.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    I have a set of tip-off Pachmayr rings on my old rem 760 30-06 Pump action.  Different than theses, but an interesting artifact of the old days.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,815 Senior Member
    My old Ruger .44 Carbine came with a set of those.  They lasted ONE range session.  Interesting gadgets but horrible for accuracy even at 50 yards.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    iirc, i think they were called "tip off" mounts.

imo, they are cool concept during that time period.

there was also some "see thru" mounts where the mount was a "8" shape where you could look through the bottom using your iron sights.  The top part had the scope.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,050 Senior Member
    Had 2 sets of tip-offs. They sucked. 'Nuff said.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull