Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Why we are seeing a “spike” in COVID cases

2»

Replies

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    The virus spreads through people in close proximity. Masks are said to slow down the spread. Conclusive proof of that, if it exists is at best contentious. 
    I break out an N95 when I'm going someplace I feel less comfortable about, but have been wearing one of the thin blue surgical masks for the most part because I can actually get air.

Picked up a cardboard box of powdered Tide a couple nights ago and had the usual puffs of detergent seep out the seems when I loaded it into my car.  Mask doesn't keep that out - Gives me some doubt on the efficacy against keeping wee microbes in or out.

The face coverings probably WILL slow your sneezes and coughs down.  Can't hand 'em a whole lot more than that.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,165 Senior Member

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    My problem with masks is that no one even wears them properly. As soon as you touch the mask it is contaminated. Now it is warm and damp from your breath.

You have a petri dish on your face.

Watch how often people are touching/moving the mask because it is uncomfortable. 

How many days in a row do they wear the same mask? Dr Fauci himself said masks only do good in sterile environments.

The one testing I know took place at a business came back with 40% positives of employees. No one had any symptoms this year..... It's a load of crap
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

Like having a chain-link fence to keep sand from blowing through it.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    The virus spreads through people in close proximity. Masks are said to slow down the spread. Conclusive proof of that, if it exists is at best contentious. 
    I break out an N95 when I'm going someplace I feel less comfortable about, but have been wearing one of the thin blue surgical masks for the most part because I can actually get air.

Picked up a cardboard box of powdered Tide a couple nights ago and had the usual puffs of detergent seep out the seems when I loaded it into my car.  Mask doesn't keep that out - Gives me some doubt on the efficacy against keeping wee microbes in or out.

The face coverings probably WILL slow your sneezes and coughs down.  Can't hand 'em a whole lot more than that.
    The face covering/face mask is to slow down you spreading it, not so much stopping you from getting it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    It is a county ordnance and a misdemeanor.  first offense is 100 dollars and it goes up from there unless you can convince a judge otherwise.  Next county over it's a 500.00 fine.  I bet you didn't vote on the speed limits either.  That's why we are a representative democracy, we vote for people to make laws instead of voting 800 times a year.  And yes your rights do end when it comes to others safety which is why we have laws in the first place.  

Still waiting for you to tell me where in the constitution it says anything about masks?
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I don't feel safe. I do ware a mask. Its supposedly an attempt to slow the spread.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 544 Senior Member
    BamaakII said:
    It is a county ordnance and a misdemeanor.  first offense is 100 dollars and it goes up from there unless you can convince a judge otherwise.  Next county over it's a 500.00 fine.  I bet you didn't vote on the speed limits either.  That's why we are a representative democracy, we vote for people to make laws instead of voting 800 times a year.  And yes your rights do end when it comes to others safety which is why we have laws in the first place.  

Still waiting for you to tell me where in the constitution it says anything about masks?
    I'm still waiting on you to admit that you're scared. And no, regardless of what they tell you, it's not a law. Wasnt voted on and written into legislation and even a public defender could get that ridiculous fine thrown out. So yes its unconstitutional because states have specific instructions on how to write legislation. They didnt. Just know that people such as yourself are showing that you don't mind them chipping away at your rights. What did one of the founding fathers say? Something about a man who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety? Yep. But im done. Im right. You're wrong.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Pontificating about how wonderful LAWS are won't answer the question. Just saying... California and New York are full of oh-so-sacred LAWS that somehow didn't prevent a guy in N. California from getting shot out in the wilderness. Now how that happened because California is full of TOUGH, NEW, LAWS about guns and damn near everything else under the sun up to and including cow farts is beyond me.

Oh - maybe because LAWS don't equal ETHICS? LAWS, like government, are necessary evils, not something to be lauded.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BamaakIIBamaakII Posts: 274 Member
    BamaakII said:

I'm still waiting on you to admit that you're scared. And no, regardless of what they tell you, it's not a law. Wasnt voted on and written into legislation and even a public defender could get that ridiculous fine thrown out. So yes its unconstitutional because states have specific instructions on how to write legislation. They didnt. Just know that people such as yourself are showing that you don't mind them chipping away at your rights. What did one of the founding fathers say? Something about a man who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety? Yep. But im done. Im right. You're wrong.

And I'm sure you are knowledgeable with all 50 state constitutions right?  That's the only instructions they have to follow.  The cities that have ordnances cleared it with the state first to prevent state conflict since our govennor does not have the guts to do anything at all.  I'm sure Kentucky has a vastly different procedure as do the other 48 states.  But it's not a state law, it doesn't have to be.  Cities have authority, within the realm of their charter and applying only within their boundaries to make their own laws as long as they don't conflict with the state constitution.  That's how you can have dry counties or cities and no sales of beer on Sunday in some communities but not others.  I'm not scared but I am cautious and fortunate enough to where I can work from home.  But you do you, i wish you luck in staying healthy. and no you aren't even close to right but there is no point trying to make you understand.  Kind of like arguing with a liberal.

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    I am not scared of getting this virus, heck I think its what I already had back at the end of last year along with about 75% of the job.  I do however like to be employed and I dont like being hassled by security or deal with potential police involvement for refusing to follow a posted policy.  If I am going onto private property and a mask is required to be on that property, the mask goes on.  I stuck with one for 10 hours a day six days a week.  Sure I could refuse to wear it, but then im also unemployed and since every job is requiring it right now it would be a long time without a paycheck.  

The mask is there to stop your spit particles and snot globs from getting onto others or surfaces others might touch.  Thats about all it will do.
    The counties here are declaring mask laws all week here. Some are part of institutions called tricounty health departments. And those institutions are making the laws. One county is rebelling by opting out of that institution.

The county I live in declared a law  yesterday. No one asked me beforehand. I just turned on the tv and there it was.......

Im not a lawyer so I don't know. I'm just trying to live.....

And........

If the promaskers got their wish and EVERYONE wore a mask...... They would be more scarce than Charmin.

They should be saved for medical professionals and at risk groups.
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited July 10 #47
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:

The face covering/face mask is to slow down you spreading it, not so much stopping you from getting it.
    Ron is right.  And it doesn't need to be medical

edited July 10 #50
    Im not using a medical mask. Im using 100% cotton washable. Like the kind that offer no protection, cause asphyxiation, and come in handy for committing stage coach robberies......

Experts say.........
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,921 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:

Ron is right.  And it doesn't need to be medical

Hope you are feeling better, was wondering about you the other day
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 383 Member
    edited July 10 #52
    More or less ok, still lung-damage that aint going away ever,  thats why I am warning to take this serious

Most in here are a tad over 60, overweight, and the main casualty group.  

Stay safe,  your liberty can end 6ft deep.
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 361 Member
    edited July 10 #53
    More or less ok, still lung-damage that aint going away ever, thats why I am warning to take this serious

Most in here are a tad over 60, overweight, and the main casualty group.  

Stay safe,  your liberty can end 6ft deep.

But;
    Six-Gun said:

The whole thins a pre-election a ruse, folks.  Nothing more. 
    https://forums.gunsandammo.com/discussion/41112/if-there-was-any-doubt-left-the-the-covid-panic-is-a-public-manipulation-campaign#latest

GunNut said:
    Every idiot in the world has the right to be listened to. 

I am still listening.

Diver43 said:
    The mask is to slow down you spreading it, not so much stopping you from getting it.
    I just posted a video of Dr  Fauchi saying wearing a mask could put me at risk. Why would I put myself at risk to minimize your risk?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    If you're wearing one of the rectangular shaped masks, then just do what the mouth breathers do. Wear the mask with the top riding on your upper lip with your nose holes exposed. That way you're wearing a mask and can still breathe. Problem solved.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    As to the "WHY' of the OP. . .

Our county's public health site has been tracking & graphing since this all started back in March.  One of the graphs is cases occurring within different age blocks.

The two leading age blocks by far have been 18-39 and 40-64, and until very recently, the two have been almost tied.  Now the 18-39 block is pulling ahead.  The other age brackets are tiny little "speed bumps" on the graph compared to the "mountains" of those two.

Seems simple enough. Now that we're past the initial period of near-universal lockdown, that's the group that most consists of those that have to stay out in the workforce to bring home the bacon, as well as those most likely to say "screw it" and live a little more high-risk lifestyle.

I suspect that with more older folks hunkering down, there's probably a lot more testing going on in that younger age bracket - as friends and co-workers test positive, there's more drive to go get tested yourself.  More older but still working folks probably in jobs that can be done from self-isolation at home.

Breakdown of case numbers by gender is damn near even - male VERY slightly ahead of female, so seems more of a lifestyle-at-age thing than a gender one.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    This just in......
    Went to Wal-Mart. Right by the check out was a large pallet sized basket of these.
    Here's some spec info from the carton. Including the ubiquitous made in China......

Today's retail $9.97 with tax.

FYI only. No opinion....
    I did purchase one carton.