Negligent discharge.......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,702 Senior Member
Saw this on another forum and thought it might be worth posting up here......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE

Does anyone on here use that particular type of holster ?......just wondering.....
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....

Replies

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    I'm impressed. He called it for what it is, and is letting others know so it doesn't happen to them.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,051 Senior Member
    Serpa. They're good, if you know what you're doing. BTW, he could do the same thing with his Glock in a similar holster. Keep finger off trigger until on target.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I'm starting to thing the guy is an idiot from his other videos....

http://www.youtube.com/user/derekgrebner87#p/u/33/gl_c0MMzHZI
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    Yep, I've been using Sherpas for years...never had a problem with them. Though I have heard reports of pistols being locked in the holster by a malfunctioning latch - never experienced such a thing myself.

Keeping your finger indexed during your draw will keep this from happening...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I fell back on my training and called my parents...
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • Shoemaker SethShoemaker Seth Member Posts: 136 Member
    In fairness to the guy in the video, I would have called my parents or brother if I didn't have a wife. Let somebody know what had happened. And good for him for having the ability to think clearly enough to stop the bleeding while he waited for help. It's a good thing he wasn't practicing with hollow points. Kudos to him for owning his mistake.
    Some threads I read for information. Others I read for entertainment value.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,702 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »

Funny you should post this, an LEO friend of mine was telling me about this the other day.

Friends....????Friends ????...............when did this happen?????:yikes:

:wink:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • BPsniperBPsniper Banned Posts: 1,961 Senior Member
    I've been using the Serpa pretty much since it was introduced. I have them for my Glocks and my HKs. Iactually like the holster very much and switched to it from a BladeTec after rolling a Quad and having my handgun go flying (thank God for pistol lanyards). We started using the Serpa at work soon after and have never had any issues. I've heard the complaints about the index finger placement. I can see how things could go wrong if one doesn't pay attention. Again, we've never had an issue and never had a failure. All boils down to training. Don't see myself switching holsters any time soon but then, I haven't shot myself, yet.
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
    I'm starting to thing the guy is an idiot from his other videos....

http://www.youtube.com/user/derekgrebner87#p/u/33/gl_c0MMzHZI

Destined to be an instant classic. At least the guy is honest. Just needs some guidance and training.

http://www.youtube.com/user/derekgrebner87#p/u/29/s-UbsPRzpeA
    "....the true general purpose big-game cartridges used in this country come in but two calibers, .30 and 7mm. (the .270 Win. is merely a slightly aberrant 7mm whose bullets are .007" undersize.) -Finn Aagaard - American Rifleman, December 1986
  • BigboreshooterBigboreshooter Member Posts: 155 Member
    I have one for my P2000 and I like it.

P1010139.jpg
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21
    Okay, I watched it again. Some thoughts:

1. Why practice with a 5.11 thumb drive holster? Is he a police officer or security officer? That's a retention duty-type holster one would wear for open carry around many people, some of whom may try and take the firearm away. If he's carrying the Glock in the woods, a thumb-snap or Serpa holster is probably just as good.

2. How much do you want to bet that he rides the trigger on that 1911 when he normally draws the 1911? I'm thinking the only thing that's kept him from having a negligent discharge already is the working thumb safety on the 1911.

3. The idea of picking one system and staying with it has merit, if you're not going to train intensively and smartly. Perhaps some slow draws on target with the 1911/Serpa combo prior to firing from retention was warranted to reprogram the brain.

4. The mishmash of thanking LEO/military/visiting his local gunshop makes him seem like he's more that qualified as a NASCAR driver to get out his sponsors. Jumbling the military and LEO thanks, then slowing down for his own information was a nice touch.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,898 Senior Member
    http://www.youtube.com/user/derekgre...29/s-UbsPRzpeA
    No sure he should have been so critical of his hits----most of them with a SD rnd would have been effective. I think the head shots were misses that hit the head.
    And---why so critical of one handed shooting; real men can shoot one handed.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Says the man shooting the .327......
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Keeping your finger indexed during your draw will keep this from happening...
    That is the key to why he shot himself
    most people people forget that when you get stressed and need to put some muscle force into what your doing, your index finger curls from uncontrollable reflex action
    so you and Bream are right on the money here with your evalls.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    I suspect this happened because he used two different holster system on two different weapons systems. He needs to standardize more so you don't have to rememeber what you have when training takes over.

He says, ..."training took over"........ bad training I think. He's in a gun fight, something goes wrong, so he drops his gun , looks away from the bad guy and cusses a lot. Meanwhile the bad guy, with gun already drawn, shoots him. Seems like the priority business at hand must be ended before anything else started.

Then too I'd call 911 first. Get medical help on the way in case you loose consciousness and can't make another call.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
  • BullgatorBullgator Member Posts: 393 Member
    I think the threat from the paper target was minimal at that point.
    Then too I'd call 911 first. Get medical help on the way in case you loose consciousness and can't make another call.
    Surprising how many people call home first; some of them die because of that.
    Once, Clean called me to come get her and take her to the hospital----she thought she was having a heart attack. The fire Dept was two buildings down the road and the Navy Hospital a mile beyond that. Fortunately it was a blockage and was treated before a heart attack.
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Bullgator wrote: »
    I think the threat from the paper target was minimal at that point.

From watching some of his vids in the past, I think he's about half a **** anyway....but I agree with Bullgator on this one.

I tell you right now, if I sent a round through my thigh, I very seriously doubt that I would've handled the situation any better.......probably a lot worse.
    Bakerman wrote: »
    I suspect this happened because he used two different holster system on two different weapons systems. He needs to standardize more so you don't have to rememeber what you have when training takes over.

I use multiple holsters and multiple weapon systems. Never had a problem. Just train and have a brain that works and you're good to go.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,835 Senior Member
    :that:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BakermanBakerman Member Posts: 382 Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I use multiple holsters and multiple weapon systems. Never had a problem. Just train and have a brain that works and you're good to go.

But he should K.I.S.S.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman
    Bakerman wrote: »
    But he should K.I.S.S.
    Apparently so.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Just train and have a brain that works and you're good to go.

It is the later part ol Tex is missing....
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,739 Senior Member
    After watching a few of his videos.........I'm thinking there was another "negligent discharge" involved.........that would be the one his father had, the night this lugnut was conceived.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    The guy shot himself point blank with a 45 hollow point, bullet went in over the knee, came out quite a few inches lower and he did not bleed? Shouldn't those jeans have been soaked in blood right away?

Lots of IPSC guys here use the Serpa holsters, I used one a lot when I shot with the Sig 226 and use one when I shoot the Beretta 92, never an issue. The point of that holster I been told is that your trigger finger rests on the release pad and it stays there when you take the gun out in the perfect SAFE position outside the trigger ready to engage.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    It was full-metal jacket ammo.
    Overkill is underrated.
    I think that some people are under the belief that this happened with the Serpa. This happened with the 511 Thumb Drive. The Serpa is what he is used to using, the Thumb Drive is what was being used when this happened.
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Uh, negative ghostrider. He said he'd been using the Thumb Drive with the Glock earlier in the day, then transitioned to the (shows Serpa) Kimber. He then discussed the holster differences.

The thumb drive is only available for 9mm and .40 Glocks at this time.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Uh, negative ghostrider. He said he'd been using the Thumb Drive with the Glock earlier in the day, then transitioned to the (shows Serpa) Kimber. He then discussed the holster differences.

The thumb drive is only available for 9mm and .40 Glocks at this time.

:that:
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    They love me there. AAMOF, they think the sun rises and sets on my rear end.

Well. . . yes. That's the sunshine they're blowing up your keister. :tooth:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee