Home Main Category General Firearms

Should I get my boy a 6.5 Creedmoor?

Replies

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,373 Senior Member
    edited July 16 #32
    I laughed reading this thread b/c the site dropped an ad from Hornady claiming a 10 shot .520” group at 200Yds with 6.5 creedmoor ELD Match bullets into the feed right above Chiro’s post.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,095 Senior Member
    Yes, you need one for him
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 544 Senior Member
    If i weren't jam packed with work, I'd offer to build one for him on a steal since every one I've built has been a shooter so far. Unfortunately (but fortunate for me) I'm backed up for months.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,004 Senior Member
    If i weren't jam packed with work, I'd offer to build one for him on a steal since every one I've built has been a shooter so far. Unfortunately (but fortunate for me) I'm backed up for months.
    I appreciate the offer. Means much. I think we can piece meal together a shooter that will accept a suppressor....hopefully. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    edited July 19 #36
    Zee said:  

I appreciate the offer. Means much. I think we can piece meal together a shooter that will accept a suppressor....hopefully. 

Have you discussed it with your boy yet? Curious if he wanted to have input.
    Yes. Asked if he wanted one and showed him what it would look like when we are done. Said he wanted to help. 
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Especially since he has expressed interest I also vote for Father-Son project.  That will add greatly to the sentimental value for him down the road.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Yes. Asked if he wanted one and showed him what it would look like when we are done. Said he wanted to help. 
    PERFECT!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,731 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    That's pure gold right there!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    I'm anxious to see the end result!!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,917 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    So what did you get for a doner action?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    Haven’t ordered it yet. But, gonna get this rifle. 

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,917 Senior Member
    Well you definitely have a plan.  
    My boys were more interested in moto-x when they were that age.  I predict you guys have a good time with this project.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,491 Senior Member
    Looks great to me!

Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    When you get it, please do some of your famous pig experiments.
    When you get it, please do some of your famous pig experiments.
    That would be nice. 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,095 Senior Member
    Looks good and sounds like a plan
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Zee said:
    Diver43 said:
    Zee said:
    Haven’t ordered it yet. But, gonna get this rifle. 

What model is that?  Sorry to busy to look it up today... 

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

SPS Tactical 
    Zee said:
    SPS Tactical 
    👍👍👍

She is in Purgatory!

I debated back and forth as to whether I should just get him a .308 Win due to ammo on hand. Or, if I got the 6.5 Creedmoor, should I get the longer and more expensive 5R version. 
    Ultimately decided, he will inherit Plenty of .308s down the road, and the 5R model wouldn’t make use of the stock on hand and would be too big for him with a suppressor. 

Stuck with the original 22” SPS Tactical plan. 
    Nice, can't wait to see pics of him shooting it.

• Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,491 Senior Member
    Good call dad!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,628 Senior Member
    Good deal, more Science!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Good deal, more Science!
    Yeah, probably gonna be a pretty 6.5 Creed heavy year in terms of animals killed. Gotta collect data for work and play!
    I have plenty of 147gr ELD-M ammo to test. But, in regards to Handloads, it’s likely to be 140gr A-Max because that what I have most in regards to Bullets. 
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    edited August 14 #58
    You and me both, Amax rock. 

Glad the decisions been made in favour of  mild but accurate 6.5, it  should stand the young fella in good stead for some time with the inherent accuracy of the round in the right rifle.
    This, coupled with the expert tutelage I can see he will get will make his transition into a hunter and shooter, if not easier, as there is still much personal work to do , but less frustrating than those who have  had to go it alone.

The advantages of having a good tutor when you are young are that the tutor is interested therefore the learning is quicker, The mistakes are quickly but mostly gently corrected, the proficiency come earlier and eventually, mostly, the desire to pass on the knowledge also leaves the next generation in good hands.

I look forward to future posts reporting on this journey.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    There's nothing more American than steeling someone else's idea, restamping it with our brand, and declaring it the best. The more I think about it. The better I like it. Its the patriotic thing to do.......
    Zee said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Good deal, more Science!
    Yeah, probably gonna be a pretty 6.5 Creed heavy year in terms of animals killed. Gotta collect data for work and play!
    I took my new Savage out for the first time this morning.  I have decided to learn to shoot rifle/shotgun left handed (I am left eye dominant).

I see why the 6.5 CM is the future.  The reduction in recoil vs the .308 it replaced was frankly shocking. Despite shooting left handed for the first time in my life, I was able to get her running in no time.  I was expecting to have to fight a flinch.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    I have ammo. I have brass. I have dies. But, currently I only have a CVA Scout Pistol in 6.5 Creedmoor. 

He has used one of my .243 Winchesters for deer & axis, couple of my .260 Remingtons to take deer and shoot 750 yards. He’s used a .308 Winchester rifle and pistol for deer and a pig as well.  Even a .223 Remington to take deer and do positional shooting!
    But, they are kinda my guns. The world is Ga-Ga for the Creedmoor and I have ammo and plenty of brass. So my thoughts........I have the following that could make a decent rifle. 
    -Rem 700 HS Precision Stock
    -Rem 700 Pic Base
    -Remington 40x Trigger
    -Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 Scope
    -Leupold Mark 4 Rings
    -Surefire Brake
    -Surefire Suppressor
    -Brass
    -Ammo
    -Dies
    -Bullets

What I don’t have is a rifle. But, I can get a Remington 700 SPS Tactical w/ 22” threaded barrel. 

Strip it down and build her back up with my pieces parts. Give it to the boy for this hunting season. And, I think he’s getting ready for some distance shooting this year. 

Thoughts?

Oh no, I think he'd be much happier with a .270.

OK just joking, I think the crudmoor would work. But if he's going to do distance shooting don't you think the 22" barrel's a little short?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.