Home Main Category General Firearms

Slap, rack, bang

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,623 Senior Member
edited July 16 in General Firearms #1
On another forum, someone asked about DA only striker-fired pistols.  The discussion turned to second-strike capabilities, perhaps this was the main focus of the discussion, I don't remember.  Few, very few pistols today have second strike capabilities, and even fewer LEO pistols are that way.  The drill for a fail to fire is slap, rack, and shoot. Get rid of the faulty round.  Which is my position.  

A s.s. enthusiast said only highly trained individuals would slap, rack, and bang under stress and the instinct is to pull the trigger again.  Well, maybe, but the training is to srb.  Here's an example I found, not looking for one, about a woman whose training led to application. No second trigger pull I can see.  Very informative.

https://toofab.com/2020/07/15/mask-argument-stabbing-police-shoot-and-kill-video/
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,640 Senior Member
    The body cam footage is very telling 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,631 Senior Member
    What about a glock?

I can pull the trigger then pull the slide back a short way, not enough to eject the chambered snap cap and the pistol seems to be  cocked. That is, I get the normal trigger pull and dry fire sound.

Does that mean the striker resets and the rnd, if real would/could fire?

I get it that it would probably be better to chamber a new rnd and this is a what if scenario.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,623 Senior Member
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,003 Senior Member
    Saw that video yesterday.  I gotta say, that cop is a badass.  Able to deal with him charging, Move, draw, fire, clear a malfunction, and hit the assailant nine times and not miss.

Good on her.

BTW, that “second round malfunction” is fairly well known for people that have to do a lot of administrative handling and clearing of the carry gun.  What happens is you keep on cycling the top round in the magazine into the chamber, and put the chambered round in the top of the mag.... over and over, and over.  After a while, those two rounds get mangled extractor rims, the bullets get forced deeper in the case, etc.  WHen its time to go, those two rounds can cause stoppages.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,145 Senior Member
    If you watch that vid closely, there's a good chance the perp caused a malfunction by trying to grab the gun, so that one may not be the best example of click-and-no-bang.

I'm not a fan of the second strike concept.  Even if the gun has one, I wouldn't be using it or teaching people to.  The round already failed once.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee