Home Main Category General Firearms

Worst recoiling rifle, worst pistol

Replies

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 567 Senior Member
    Marlin Guide gun with hot 45-70 loads. I don’t know if it’s just me but the way the stock fits makes my thumb hit my noses every time. I have to think before I shoot that gun. 

For the Pistol Ruger Super Redhawk 454casull or the S&W 329 Airlite in .44 both are unpleasant. 
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,295 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    Worst Rifle: my 450 Bushmaster AR  with the cheap PSA adjustable stock I had laying around.  Swapped in a fixed Magpul stock and it is a baby.

Worst Pistol: I have never fired a rifle caliber round in a pistol, but I have fired 50 AE and 44 Magnums.  

My choice: my little .380 LCP is no fun at all to shoot.  I would sell it if I thought I could get something approximating fair value.  My Glock 43 is so much easier to shoot that it is insane.  

How does the LCP compare to the 43 size wise?
    The LCP fits nicely in a pocket holster while the G43 barely works in that role.  

The LCP offers maximum bang in the lightest, smallest package.  But, that comes at a price of wicked recoil. The small grip focuses every bit of that recoil into one small area.

Thanks.

I don't enjoy shooting my LCP.
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,756 Senior Member
    Recoil of a rifle? I'd have to give it to my 450 Marlin. A friend bought it for me after his dog bit me. He hurt me twice and I didn't deserve it either time. Off a bench with 180 gr core-locs the 94 Win can be pretty bad.

Pistols... I'd have to say there are two. My S&W Mountain Gun is pretty bad but my Contender with a 14" 30-30 barrel has it beat followed by a PA 63 chambered in 9 Mak. That little thing comes right back into the web of my hand with a wicked snap.

Shotgun... Win 37a single shot 12 gauge 28" barrel full choke with a plastic butt plate. I got when I was 13 yo and it was an inch too long after I was full grown. I cut it down and added a 1" recoil pad. I helped tame the recoil but not enough for me to ever want to shot it again. 
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
    The worst rifle was probably 7mm mag in a ruger boat paddle stock. It wasn't horrible but unpleasant. My Howa in 300 Weatherby was enough but a Bell and Carlson stock helped. I have noticed that in the last few years recoil bothers me more than it used to. I injured my wrist  and hand 40 some years ago and it has never been right since so I stay away from big boy pistols. My 41 mag is not bad but it keeps hurting my middle finger hitting the trigger guard. I am still trying to adjust my grip to fix that.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Marlin Guide gun with hot 45-70 loads. I don’t know if it’s just me but the way the stock fits makes my thumb hit my noses every time. I have to think before I shoot that gun. 

For the Pistol Ruger Super Redhawk 454casull or the S&W 329 Airlite in .44 both are unpleasant. 
    The ergonomics of that rifle suck
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    My 338x284 has pretty stiff recoil.  It is about the same or a little worse than my .358.

I had an unbraked 7Mag for a while, but was surprised that the recoil wasn't all that bad.

I know those are nothing compared to the big, dangerous game guns, but I've never shot anything bigger than what I posted above.

I haven't fired enough different pistols to experience one with really heavy recoil.
    Jerry, 

Your unbraked 7Mag knocked my cap off my head offhand and sent me back a step, in case you don't remember. 

I'd be glad to shoot it again, but I'd be ready for it this time.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    . My 41 mag is not bad but it keeps hurting my middle finger hitting the trigger guard. I am still trying to adjust my grip to fix that.
    I found that with my 629 DX if I wear a glove with some padding on the finger (a thick band aid works as well but tends to not stay on well) it greatly reduces the abuse the trigger guard imparts on my finger.  I dont recall the issue on my .41 mag, but if memory is correct the rubber grip on it fills in the gap behind the trigger guard and prevents a finger from being back there.  I really need to shoot both again.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member
    My 338x284 has pretty stiff recoil.  It is about the same or a little worse than my .358.

I had an unbraked 7Mag for a while, but was surprised that the recoil wasn't all that bad.

I know those are nothing compared to the big, dangerous game guns, but I've never shot anything bigger than what I posted above.

I haven't fired enough different pistols to experience one with really heavy recoil.
    Jerry, 

Your unbraked 7Mag knocked my cap off my head offhand and sent me back a step, in case you don't remember. 

I'd be glad to shoot it again, but I'd be ready for it this time.

Mike
    I hate to tell you this, Mike, but that rifle has the BOSS on it, which means it IS BRAKED.  I don't recall it pushing you around that badly, but I wasn't the one pulling the trigger.

When I first got it, I worked up a 139/140 grain load for antelope, and a 175 grain load for bigger critters.  The low end 139/140 loads were surprisingly mild, almost at .243 levels.  You shot the 175 grain load, which has significantly stouter recoil, though.

You're more than welcome to try it again.  Any chance you can make down this way?  I'm sure we can arrange something. 
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    I'll take my .458 off the list.  I know the OP asked for rifle or pistol BUT, the worst recoil I have ever experienced was my neighbors H&R single shot 10ga Turkey shotgun shooting high brass turkey loads.  I though I'd have to go to the next county to retrieve my shoulder after firing it once.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Boy...I feel like an idiot now. I thought it was braked, but I got surprised anyway. Wasn't really expecting what I got. I don't even know if I hit what I was aiming at.

I once shot a braked Mod 70 in .300 Wby Mag using pretty stout handloaded 180 grain Partitions, rested across the hood of the truck. It didn't bounce me quite like your 7Mag did, though.

There may be something to that "recoil impulse" thing after all. Your 7Mag wasn't painful, by any means, but I'd not care for a true bench session with it.

Mike
    N454casull
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Full-tilt .416 Rigby out of a hog-back stocked CZ is really bad.

1900-2100 fps 405 grainers out of a Marlin 1895 is pretty bad.

Not a rifle, but I am emphatically NOT a fan of shooting the magnum 12 gauge family.

The good news about being exposed to such things, however, is that most things in the H&H family on down become quite tolerable even in large quantities. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 567 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

The ergonomics of that rifle suck
    It’s to bad to. With cowboy action type loads it’s a very fun gun to shoot. It’s just when you jump up to those more robust rounds that things go down hill fast. 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    Savage synthetic 300WSM....the sharpest buck I’ve ever felt, the bolt would bloody my right knuckle. 

Shotgun was a Winchester 1001 O/U

Havent shot any huge pistol rounds.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    bellcat said:
    Savage synthetic 300WSM....the sharpest buck I’ve ever felt, the bolt would bloody my right knuckle. 

And here I thought I was the only one that got mauled by a .300 WSM. It ain't a fun round in a lightweight synthetic rig, that's for sure!

Mike
    N454casull
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,815 Senior Member
     I have a savage in 300 wsm and I didn't think it was at all bad. 
    Beauty's in the eye of the beer holder.

Mike
    N454casull
    bellcat said:

And here I thought I was the only one that got mauled by a .300 WSM. It ain't a fun round in a lightweight synthetic rig, that's for sure!

Mike
    It was a pussycat in my old Kimber Montana.  Shouldn’t have sold that gun.  I miss it.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Some_MookSome_Mook Posts: 328 Member
    edited July 20 #49
    35 or so years ago my uncle asked me if I'd ever shot a .410 - sure I had.  Then he handed me some .22LR / .410 back-pack / survival gun wire butt stock abortion and said here, try this.  That was the last time I ever fell for one of his "try this" gags.

Shot a 3.5" magnum Turkey load out of my Remington 887 - reminded me of taking a foul tip off of my cheek with no mask.

Ruger Super Red Hawk Alaskan in .454 Casull can be a bit sporty with full-on Grizzly appropriate loads, but if I ever faced off with a determined brown bear I don't think recoil would be part of my thought process.  I do know that when they find the .454 in a pile of denim and flannel encrusted scat it will have 5 empty cases in the cylinder.
    "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
    "I know my place in the world and it ain’t standing next to Jerry Miculek" - Zee
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Worst shotgun was a 12 guage pump in 3_1/2" mag. Too light and too much.

Worst handgun, S&W .500. It was a rental, just cause I had to know. Well, that thing is going to stay a rental. I'll stick with the "gentle" recoil of the .44 mag. 👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

GunNut said:
    bellcat said:

Mike
    It was a pussycat in my old Kimber Montana.  Shouldn’t have sold that gun.  I miss it.
    Simple physics.....on a good day I don't weigh 150lbs. You, OTOH, likely weighed that with a packed diaper. I get pushed around a lot easier than you. :)

Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:
    bellcat said:

Mike
    Simple physics.....on a good day I don't weigh 150lbs. You, OTOH, likely weighed that with a packed diaper. I get pushed around a lot easier than you. :)

Mike
    I keep forgetting what a dainty figure you cut... 😁

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    I gots to know... How much does the packed diaper weigh?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

Spk said:
    I gots to know... How much does the packed diaper weigh?
    Apparently 195lbs or so 🤣

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    bellcat said:

Mike

Mike
    I keep forgetting what a dainty figure you cut... 😁
    I love it when it gets personal. :)
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    My Win Model 70 .300 WSM.  I've shot a bunch of big boomers and nothing kicks like this mule, hence it's name!  When I had it rebarreled and put into my custom AAA grade walnut Weatherby MK 5 style stock, Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc who did the build called and said can I talk you into a muzzle brake.  He said "Jeff I build a lot of rifles and nothing has abused me and my staff like this beast"!  I went with the muzzle brake and love the rifle now.

Worst pistol, TC Contender .375 JD Jones.  That was recoil on an abuse level never conceived!  
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    Long Gun:  H&R 10GA single shot, firing heavy turkey loads.  A masochist friend in school had one and LOVED getting people to shoot it.  Now that I think about it, I never actually saw him shoot it.

Rifle: Ruger #1 tropical in .458 Win Mag.  That thing would kick the snot out of you.

Short gun- an NEF .20 Gauge (firing a slug) that another friend shortened down to the legal limit, and hacked the stock to make a pistol grip.  Fired one handed, it came up in recoil, and the hammer ripped the hell out of the web of my hand.

Actual Handgun- probably my TC Encore pistol in .454 Casul.  Not really painful, but it bucks way up in recoil:

Interesting that all mine are single shot guns.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    I used to really want one of those NEF 10ga Shotguns. Never found one, though. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 453 Member
    I never have fired a handgun with "too much recoil" . The most powerful caliber was 44 magnum (in a Desert Eagle and in S&W 6" model 29)

The worst experience in long guns was firing a 12 gauge Stevens s/s shotgun... it was my first time with a shotgun , and at the time I was a skinny 15 y.o.  
     It was not a big deal... just a lesson about not  to place my right thumb too close to my nose
    Zee said:
    I used to really want one of those NEF 10ga Shotguns. Never found one, though. 
    They are freaking brutal.  Consider yourself lucky...

edited July 24 #61

Rifle: Ruger #1 tropical in .458 Win Mag.  That thing would kick the snot out of you.
    I forgot about that gun.  Ruger used to put the old style thy red hard rubber butt pads on them which did NOTHING to make recoil more bearable.  I shot mine a couple of times and decided that was enough.  My CZ in the same chambering was a pussycat by comparison...