Home Main Category Hunting

What's "the one" cartridge for you?

2»

Replies

• jachtwachterjachtwachter Posts: 1 New Member
    30-06 or 270, whatever!
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 545 Senior Member
    30-06. It'll always be the ultimate parent cartridge to me.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    It’s a great start to better cartridges. 

6.5-06 A-Square
    .280 Remington
    .338-06 
    .35 Whelen 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,643 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    It’s a great start to better cartridges. 

6.5-06 A-Square
    .280 Remington
    .338-06 
    .35 Whelen 
    .270 Winchester

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • lancebanyonlancebanyon Posts: 11 New Member
    With my neck fusion surgery and arthritis in both shoulders. It's a .243 Remington 660.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,031 Senior Member
    With my neck fusion surgery and arthritis in both shoulders. It's a .243 Remington 660.
    That’ll work. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    If KP took away the caveat of not being able to reload, my general all around pick would be 6mm Remington (or .243 Win....almost twins). But wait.....I already have a lifetime supply of loaded 6mm from 55 grain NBTs to 100 grain Partitions, and enough 75 grain VMaxes to wipe out 1K acres of pdogs, so I don't have to reload. I'm changing my vote to 6mm Rem. :)

And the .243 Win is a great choice, too. As I've said at least a dozen times before.....the worst beat-up deer I've ever seen were caused by a .243 Win in the hands of a 14 YO.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    I didn't say you couldn't reload, just that you no longer had your current supplies. So I guess, in fairness, you wouldn't have your ammo stash either. So :p 
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    For whatever reason, you're having to start with a completely clean slate. No firearms, no ammo, no loading equipment or supplies, and hunting season is FAST approaching.

See, I covered that in the OP
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Lance,

Years ago I worked with a guy who had a 660, chambered in .308 Win, if I recall correctly (that's a bit hazy...I'm not sure)....

Anyway, nothing spectacular about it (except it seemed really "handy"), but....he had a custom stockmaker build him a stock out of a well worn oak church pew.  That was a beauty to behold. 

Never heard of an oak stock, before or since. But I figure it was seasoned enough that it would hold its own against our modern day bests. And it looked really good on that platform.

Mike
    N454casull
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,501 Senior Member
    284 Winchester
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,957 Senior Member
    284 Winchester
    Ernie, when I saw that you were the last to post a reply to this, I thought .284 or some wildcat, maybe 6.5, based on .284.

I like my .284 just fine.  It's an excellent cartridge.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    I would have been content with a 6.5-284 as well
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Remind me again....what exactly is wrong with .277?  ;)

Mike
    N454casull

Mike
    Please, Mike.  Quit channeling Snake.
    Jerry

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,817 Senior Member
    Lance,

Years ago I worked with a guy who had a 660, chambered in .308 Win, if I recall correctly (that's a bit hazy...I'm not sure)....

Anyway, nothing spectacular about it (except it seemed really "handy"), but....he had a custom stockmaker build him a stock out of a well worn oak church pew.  That was a beauty to behold. 

Never heard of an oak stock, before or since. But I figure it was seasoned enough that it would hold its own against our modern day bests. And it looked really good on that platform.

Mike
    What a cool idea!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

The background to the story was that the pew came from a church that his grandparents helped found and build. (For timeframe, I was in my early 20's and he was in his mid-50's....40 years ago). Anyway, his grandparents had a "reserved" spot on the front-most pew for decades. When the church underwent a total renovation in the late '70's, he came into possession of that pew. A goodly chunk of it became his rifle stock. I don't know what he did with the rest.

Mike
    N454casull
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Its kind of funny. My grandpa had it right way back in 1952.. The model 70 Winchester he ordered in 308win can answer any question almost anywhere. Its only short comings are a wood stock and the long action it was built on. Not the fault of the cartridge, and unavailable technology at the time. All these years later, its still just about unbeatable.
    Its kind of funny. My grandpa had it right way back in 1952.. The model 70 Winchester he ordered in 308win can answer any question almost anywhere. Its only short comings are a wood stock and the long action it was built on. Not the fault of the cartridge, and unavailable technology at the time. All these years later, its still just about unbeatable.
    I hope someone in your family still has that rifle.  A Model 70 chambered in .308 during its first year of production has got to be worth big bucks.
    Jerry

Mike

Don't have any of those...Why would that even remotely be my favorite?
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I hope someone in your family still has that rifle.  A Model 70 chambered in .308 during its first year of production has got to be worth big bucks.
    I have it. This is my son shooting some light handloads tailored for him.