Home Main Category General Firearms

"Just Because" Gun (spoiler: Glock 34)

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,742 Senior Member
I've been pretty exclusively shooting Glock handguns, and in particular my Glock 19, for the past few years. This has stemmed largely from a combination of convenience and practicality: It has been much easier for me to sneak off to indoor ranges that are within a 30 minute drive and shoot for an hour or two than to gear up and dedicate entire days to the rifle range, AND my daily carry is the Glock 19 so I have considered it time well spent developing proficiency. Simultaneously, I have dived deep into the world of miniature red dot sights mounted on handguns, and it's well documented in posts here that I am a convert. I still don't advocate it for everyone, and the learning curve is steep, but for me it's worth it.

So after talking myself out of it for a year or so, I finally caved and bought a Glock 34 Gen 5 MOS for my "competition/training/backwoods carry/just because I can" gun to further my pursuit into USPSA and RDS handgun shooting:

I've got a CHPWS Mil/LE V4 MOS adapter plate (http://chpws.com/product/v4-mil-leo-glock-mos-to-trijicon-rmr-holosun-407c-407c-v2-507c-507c-v2-508t-and-508t-v2), and extra tall Ameriglo sights en route that should arrive later this week. It's also going to start out sporting an older Type 1 RM06 (3.25 MOA dot) red dot sight that I have laying around:

Why Glock?
- They work
- I already have holsters, magazines, tools, etc galore from my G19 and G19X
- Plentiful aftermarket parts, inexpensive factory replacement parts, and inexpensive magazines
- Very good price point

So why the Glock 34 instead of the 17 or 45, if it's going to get a RDS anyway?
- Rule 1: Always look cool
- I'm curious to see how much the added weight in front helps with muzzle flip
- If I decide to go back to irons and shoot Production, the longer sight radius will help

Why MOS?
- With better mounting solutions such as the CHPWS plate, it looks like many of the perceived or real weak points of the MOS system have been corrected for
- As a general training/fun gun I want the option to switch optics later

The gun will stay stock for now (aside from switching the sights and using an aftermarket MOS plate that is), but in the future I may add an Overwatch Precision TAC trigger to mirror my carry gun, and possibly stipple the front strap.

I'm curious to see how times on a few basic drills (such as a 7yds Bill Drill) compare to my G19, and if time and ammo supplies allow (and if I can get to the range when it's not busy so I can actually use my shot timer) I'll attempt a direct comparison soon. Range report to follow, probably next week or the week after!
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,095 Senior Member
    Looks good Matt
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,004 Senior Member
    edited July 22 #3
    A G34 is one of my Bedside Options. 👍🏻

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • gunner81gunner81 Member Posts: 434 Member
    I went out and bought a G 20 10mm Glock just because.  After I took it to the range I was pleasantly surprised it felt and shot so much nicer than I expected what I expected was a Glock that went  bang when I squeezed the trigger but there is something about this the weight balance something.I always knew that I would end up with a Glock in 10mm someday and I'm sure glad that I didn't pick something else in 10mm and let this one wait
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
    I’m really starting to get a warm fuzzy on these Gen 5 guns...  damn the two of you... 🤬🤬🤬
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Eager to try out one of the Holosuns.  I like the bombproof reputation of the RMR's, but removal to change batteries?  HARD pass.

The longslide 9mm's are sweet - if I actually did pistol competition, there would likely be a need.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    Looooooooooooooongslide! Love it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    edited July 23 #8
    Bigslug said:
    Eager to try out one of the Holosuns.  I like the bombproof reputation of the RMR's, but removal to change batteries?  HARD pass.

The longslide 9mm's are sweet - if I actually did pistol competition, there would likely be a need.
    For my personal use, needing to remove the optic to change the battery is a non event, but I do know you're looking at fielding to a somewhat large population of end users with varying degrees of dedication. Your mileage may very. I've heard ONE case from someone I know personally of a Holosun beginning to flicker in the field, but that's it so far. If I didn't have this older RMR laying around I very likely would have put a Holosun on this Glock. I still might when the fully enclosed HE509T becomes available.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    edited July 23 #9
    knitepoet said:
    Looks good Matt
    Thanks!

Zee said:

How are you liking the Magpul 21 rounders? I'm eying them, unless I can find some of the Glock factory 24 round mags.

gunner81 said:
    I went out and bought a G 20 10mm Glock just because...
    I've been tempted by the Glock 40 (or whatever the long slide 10mm variant is) a few times, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If I find a good deal on a used G20, it might happen.

GunNut said:
    I’m really starting to get a warm fuzzy on these Gen 5 guns...  damn the two of you... 🤬🤬🤬
    The Gen 5 19 MOS is calling you...
    zorba said:
    Looooooooooooooongslide! Love it!
    AND it still fits in most of my current Glock holsters (either open bottom, or built around the WML).
    I’ve been running the MagPul 21/27 round Glock Mags for awhile now. Really like them and they are cheaper than factory mags. 
    I carry them every day now. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    YAUSSD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited July 23 #13
    You guys appendix carry those?!?!?!?!

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

knitepoet said:
    Looks good Matt
    Thanks!

Zee said:

How are you liking the Magpul 21 rounders? I'm eying them, unless I can find some of the Glock factory 24 round mags.

gunner81 said:
    I've been tempted by the Glock 40 (or whatever the long slide 10mm variant is) a few times, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. If I find a good deal on a used G20, it might happen.

GunNut said:
    It freaking is...  I was headed out to buy another handgun and it was between the Gen 5 19 and the new SA Ronin 9mm...  The I spotted the 624 and, well I'm a sucker for classics...

BUT that 19 is still calling my name...

GunNut said:
    knitepoet said:
    Looks good Matt
    Thanks!

Zee said:

gunner81 said:

GunNut said:
    It freaking is...  I was headed out to buy another handgun and it was between the Gen 5 19 and the new SA Ronin 9mm...  The I spotted the 624 and, well I'm a sucker for classics...

Honestly.......it’s not your “style/taste”. You like “classic” looking guns. Like......the 624 and Ronin 1911. 
    You will never be fully happy With a Glock until you are able to accept function/form over looks and prestige. 

That’s not a slight. Just 14ish years of watching your taste in guns. You may THINK you want one. But, a utility gun has rarely lasted in your hands unless it was some ungodly steal. And even then......I can’t think of one you might still have had longer than a year or so. 

Just trying to save you some money/hassle down the road. You know......buying.......selling another Glock. 

Get the Ronin. Or, buy the G19......keep it a year.........sell it........and then buy the Ronin. 

I’ve watched this show before. 😁
    Bigslug said:

For my personal use, needing to remove the optic to change the battery is a non event, but I do know you're looking at fielding to a somewhat large population of end users with varying degrees of dedication. Your mileage may very. I've heard ONE case from someone I know personally of a Holosun beginning to flicker in the field, but that's it so far. If I didn't have this older RMR laying around I very likely would have put a Holosun on this Glock. I still might when the fully enclosed HE509T becomes available.
    We had a guy's personal shotgun down and out for months at a gunsmith's shop waiting in the workload queue for extraction of the wee tiny broken red dot mounting screw he decided needed just that LITTLE BIT EXTRA amount of torque.  It's therefore going to be a matter of ME and one other changing RMR batteries out with our micro torque wrench & re-confirming zero for the multitudes when the time comes.  And since there will be little dabs of purple Loc-Tite involved, the gun's down for a day while the glue hardens - - just to swap out the fuel source.

I suppose the use of the mounting surface as the "seal" for the battery compartment contributes to the small overall size of the RMR, but it rather fails in the "Fix on the fly and drive on" department.

Meh.  We'll see how I feel after we test these things.  On paper anyway the Holosun 407C looks like the ticket for me.
    WWJMBD?

Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    knitepoet said:
    Looks good Matt
    Thanks!

Zee said:

gunner81 said:

GunNut said:

Honestly.......it’s not your “style/taste”. You like “classic” looking guns. Like......the 624 and Ronin 1911. 
    You will never be fully happy With a Glock until you are able to accept function/form over looks and prestige. 

That’s not a slight. Just 14ish years of watching your taste in guns. You may THINK you want one. But, a utility gun has rarely lasted in your hands unless it was some ungodly steal. And even then......I can’t think of one you might still have had longer than a year or so. 

Just trying to save you some money/hassle down the road. You know......buying.......selling another Glock. 

Get the Ronin. Or, buy the G19......keep it a year.........sell it........and then buy the Ronin. 

I’ve watched this show before. 😁
    You have ANY idea how annoying you are when you’re right 🤬🤬

All jokes aside as much of a thorn that little 43 has been to my “sensibilities” I have finally accepted that it absolutely has a role in my SD strategy that it fills  superbly well so it has outlived all other Glocks I’ve owned.  I think it I’m ready to accept that a 19 in some cases is actually a better option within that SD strategy than just about anything else I have.

I don’t think I’ll ever own a stable of Glocks like you. But I do believe a few well placed options in the lineup I can live with.

Gun Nut, some hard-earned philosophy to maybe ease your pain:

The Glocks are often derided for their lack of "soul".  Having worked on quite a few guns that we'd all consider the opposite, I've got to say that "soul" is quite often a pain in the ass.

The six consecutive miracles that have to occur in order to correctly time and align all the holes in a S&W revolver. . .the extractor tensioning of a 1911 - and the pampering caveats one gets into when you start match-tuning them. . .unprotected carbon steel and its arch-enemy, Iron Oxide.  When you play therapist to someone with soul long enough, that individuality can sometimes make you want to move out and find your own apartment.

I think everybody here appreciates the kinesthetic joy that goes with the polished, hand-fitted wonders, but the Glocks are the low-maintenance woman that will hitch up the ox and plow the field for you while ride to town to settle urgent matters with the bank.  That they need very little coddling just gives them a different kind of soul.

Never mind the capacity - a Glock 19 is everything that a K-frame is in terms of function without the rust, hand fitting, screws, and "mysterious" lockwork.  So it's not pretty - that's where the "concealed" part of carry comes in. :D

WWJMBD?

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,917 Senior Member
    ^^^  OK Big. I get it now. You are really just hiding an ugly gun under your shirt^^^
    I want to love Glocks. They just dont fit my hand
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 383 Member
    Diver43 said:
    ^^^  OK Big. I get it now. You are really just hiding an ugly gun under your shirt^^^
    Sorry Ron, You smaller than the Z-midget ???   He has small hands and likes them  :smiley:
    Diver43 said:
    Sorry Ron, You smaller than the Z-midget ???   He has small hands and likes them  :smiley:
    Very short fingers   :/
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

• HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 383 Member
    Sorry Z,  I missed out on the long fingers part ;)
    Diver43 said:
    Try a 43x/48.
    WWJMBD?

Bigslug said:
    Gun Nut, some hard-earned philosophy to maybe ease your pain:

The Glocks are often derided for their lack of "soul".  Having worked on quite a few guns that we'd all consider the opposite, I've got to say that "soul" is quite often a pain in the ass.

The six consecutive miracles that have to occur in order to correctly time and align all the holes in a S&W revolver. . .the extractor tensioning of a 1911 - and the pampering caveats one gets into when you start match-tuning them. . .unprotected carbon steel and its arch-enemy, Iron Oxide.  When you play therapist to someone with soul long enough, that individuality can sometimes make you want to move out and find your own apartment.

I think everybody here appreciates the kinesthetic joy that goes with the polished, hand-fitted wonders, but the Glocks are the low-maintenance woman that will hitch up the ox and plow the field for you while ride to town to settle urgent matters with the bank.  That they need very little coddling just gives them a different kind of soul.

Never mind the capacity - a Glock 19 is everything that a K-frame is in terms of function without the rust, hand fitting, screws, and "mysterious" lockwork.  So it's not pretty - that's where the "concealed" part of carry comes in. :D

I get the Glock is a very well executed hammer.  I even get they absolutely have a place in the lineup, the little 43 taught me that and the model 60 barely ever gets out for a walk because of that small Glock.  I’ve just never been let down by pretty either.  My 1911s are all flawless and I just love shooting and carrying them.

Though to break a loooooong successful Love affair.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,693 Senior Member
    So.....why a Glock?

:D 

Nice purchase; works as a tool. Range test pending.
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Try a 43x/48.
    Had a 43 the day before they were released.  Sold it a couple months ago. Couldn't shoot it accurately enough to carry it. Went back to my Shield
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Try a 43x/48.
    Had a 43 the day before they were released.  Sold it a couple months ago. Couldn't shoot it accurately enough to carry it. Went back to my Shield
    The 43X and 48 frame is a completely different animal - not single stack, not really double stack.  More of a stack and a half.  Not 100% sure what's going on, but they seem less affected by the ergonomic rules that cause many to complain about the Glock platform.
    WWJMBD?

edited July 25 #29
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Try a 43x/48.
    The 43X and 48 frame is a completely different animal - not single stack, not really double stack.  More of a stack and a half.  Not 100% sure what's going on, but they seem less affected by the ergonomic rules that cause many to complain about the Glock platform.
    Is there a way to melt that hump on the back bottom of the grip off?   Hate them as much as I hate arched MSHs on my 1911s and I think they are the reason all Glocks feel weird to me.

GunNut said:
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Bigslug said:
    Diver43 said:
    Try a 43x/48.
    Is there a way to melt that hump on the back bottom of the grip off?   Hate them as much as I hate arched MSHs on my 1911s and I think they are the reason all Glocks feel weird to me.
    For me the answer is keep the Shield and when the craziness slows down get a P365.  I know I shoot that one well.
    edited July 26 #31
    I love Glocks. But, I also understand and love performance. 
    Beretta 92/96 for example. Some folks love them. To me, that are a Boat Anchor. 
    If the end result is dysfunctional for the end user........the validity of the gun is in question for that particular shooter.
    As long as that is an ergonomic or practical result, I’ll agree the gun is imperfect for the shooter. A lack of proper training does not qualify.