Home Main Category General Firearms

"Just Because" Gun (spoiler: Glock 34)

2»

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,976 Senior Member
    That said, training can overcome a multitude of poor manufacturing errors. For instance, I HATED the 96D but, through training and practice, I shot it exceptionally well. Even won a few comps with it. But, I absolutely HATED that gun. Didn’t mean I couldn’t shoot it well. Just didn’t like it. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,250 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    That said, training can overcome a multitude of poor manufacturing errors. 
    DING! DING! DING!

One of the benefits of being forced to or being able to shoot lots of other people's different stuff is that you have to lock in a batch of core grip/trigger/sighting fundamentals to work around different ergonomics rather than settle comfortably into equipment ergonomics that match yours.  In short you come to the party expecting the gun to NOT fit you, and expecting the gun to NOT have a glass-rod trigger.  If I miss, it's because I didn't run the machine properly; not because the machine wasn't custom made for me.

The result of this is that I pretty much don't care what the grips are shaped like, so long as they're not made of razor blades and the angle is not radically stupid (Tokarev).  I also don't fret the trigger much unless its ridiculously creepy or Nagant-revolver heavy.

I don't hold myself up as anyone's special gift to firearms instruction - it took a lot of work to get here - but one of the perks of BEING here is that you can start to evaluate guns in ways beyond just how they accommodate your own deficiencies.  While Glocks may not have the reputation for being the easiest thing to shoot well, they CAN be shot well.  My take has been that it's preferable to put in the necessary work to be able to shoot one well so that I can cash in on its OTHER benefits - namely that it works, is easy to work on, and won't turn red on you.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    UPDATE: Got the RMR and Ameriglo sights installed. I am REALLY liking this setup so far. 

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    That’ll work. 
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    I put a 9mm barrel in my 35 but haven't shot it yet. I'm going to try running it with just a barrel / mag swap and see what happens. It's not a SD gun so I'm willing to try just the barrel swap before messing with other parts.
    JKP said:
    I put a 9mm barrel in my 35 but haven't shot it yet. I'm going to try running it with just a barrel / mag swap and see what happens. It's not a SD gun so I'm willing to try just the barrel swap before messing with other parts.
    I put a 9mm Barrel in my G23 as well. Runs perfectly with a 9mm Mag.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    JKP said:
    When my kid worked for the FBI, some agents elected to run 9mm in 23s, think that is what was assumed female agents would use.  It was a simple barrel/magazine  swap
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    JKP said:
    Remind me, the recoil spring is the same?
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited July 31 #40
    Yes. Or at least, I didn’t change it. And Lone Wolf didn’t recommend I do so. 
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    JKP said:
    Gen 2 and 3 yes.  Gen 4's are caliber-specific.
    WWJMBD?

SS3 - looking good.  What Ameriglos did you end up with?
    WWJMBD?

Bigslug said:
    SS3 - looking good.  What Ameriglos did you end up with?
    GL-470. The height is just about perfect for MOS, yields a roughly 1/3 cowitness. Plus they're $20 less than the Dawsons and aren't comically bulky. 
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,769 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    JKP said:
    Cool, thanks!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    Bigslug said:
    GunNut said:
    Zee said:
    JKP said:
    Cool, thanks!
    My G23 is a Gen3. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    That came out nice, I like the fit with the light. Any appreciable improvement to velocity with the longer barrel?  
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    That came out nice, I like the fit with the light. Any appreciable improvement to velocity with the longer barrel?  
    Allegedly, but hell if I know. I don't have a chrono that will work on handguns. 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member

I had to look and found this on the internet, so it must be true ;):

The following results were obtained this evening, approx. 50-55 degrees temp.:

G34 G17

1) Blazer 115 gr. 9mm fmj, L22H5 (Sportsman's Warehouse)

1213.4 1166.6

1203.9 1170.2

1206.2 1159.2

1196.1 1156.5

1201.9 1174.0

avg.= 1204.3 (138.5pf) 1165.3 (134pf)

2) Winchester 115 gr 9mm, Q4172, 50 round box, copper bullet (Sportsman's WH)

1222.3 1195.8

1258.4 1171.1

1237.4 1175.6

1205.1 1200.1

1178.7 1189.7

avg.= 1220.3 (140.3pf) 1186.4 (136.4pf)

3) Winchester 115 gr 9mm, USA9mmVP, 100 round box, gold bullet (WallMart)

1247.0 1151.5

1269.8 1223.4

1225.1 1201.5

1267.6 1203.9

1261.2 1189.7

avg.= 1254.1 (144.2pf) 1194.0 (137.3pf)

[for comparison, this load averaged 1249.1 for nine shots over Roy/Farleys' chrono after the match through the same G34]

4) Winchester 124 gr 9mm Nato ball, RA9124N (FBI training round)

1282.4 1227.5

1271.4 1240.5

1289.4 1227.7

1294.9 1235.1

1241.2 1238.7

avg.= 1275.8 (158.2pf) 1233.9 (153.0pf)

I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    So the answer is "Yes but, meh."
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Very cool!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Bigslug said:
    Gun Nut, some hard-earned philosophy to maybe ease your pain:

The Glocks are often derided for their lack of "soul".  Having worked on quite a few guns that we'd all consider the opposite, I've got to say that "soul" is quite often a pain in the ass.

The six consecutive miracles that have to occur in order to correctly time and align all the holes in a S&W revolver. . .the extractor tensioning of a 1911 - and the pampering caveats one gets into when you start match-tuning them. . .unprotected carbon steel and its arch-enemy, Iron Oxide.  When you play therapist to someone with soul long enough, that individuality can sometimes make you want to move out and find your own apartment.

I think everybody here appreciates the kinesthetic joy that goes with the polished, hand-fitted wonders, but the Glocks are the low-maintenance woman that will hitch up the ox and plow the field for you while ride to town to settle urgent matters with the bank.  That they need very little coddling just gives them a different kind of soul.

Never mind the capacity - a Glock 19 is everything that a K-frame is in terms of function without the rust, hand fitting, screws, and "mysterious" lockwork.  So it's not pretty - that's where the "concealed" part of carry comes in. :D

I get the Glock is a very well executed hammer.  I even get they absolutely have a place in the lineup, the little 43 taught me that and the model 60 barely ever gets out for a walk because of that small Glock.  I’ve just never been let down by pretty either.  My 1911s are all flawless and I just love shooting and carrying them.

Though to break a loooooong successful Love affair.

"Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause!" I've been waiting for a positive word about the Glock 43 since I bought one two months ago. I was developing a complex. All I can say is that it fits in my outfielder's glove size hands very well thank you. I was really worried because I ordered the thing like a fool after only handling one in the store where I bought it for 5 minutes. My motivation was a gun small enough and light enough to fit in a pocket holster and not bother me and not be visible.The 43 filled the bill. Then I was worried if I could shoot it well enough in a defense situation. I've only shot a few rounds through it but I liked the way it shot. No problems that I can see. So I think I'm going to be well satisfied with it.

As for other Glocks, I've shot my Son Inlaw's 30 which is a 45 ACP and it was very pleasant to shoot. I've handled a 26 and liked it. I've also handled a 19 and I feel it's my next Glock.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,650 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

"Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause!" I've been waiting for a positive word about the Glock 43 since I bought one two months ago. I was developing a complex. All I can say is that it fits in my outfielder's glove size hands very well thank you. I was really worried because I ordered the thing like a fool after only handling one in the store where I bought it for 5 minutes. My motivation was a gun small enough and light enough to fit in a pocket holster and not bother me and not be visible.The 43 filled the bill. Then I was worried if I could shoot it well enough in a defense situation. I've only shot a few rounds through it but I liked the way it shot. No problems that I can see. So I think I'm going to be well satisfied with it.

As for other Glocks, I've shot my Son Inlaw's 30 which is a 45 ACP and it was very pleasant to shoot. I've handled a 26 and liked it. I've also handled a 19 and I feel it's my next Glock.
    I think you'll like it. It was neck on neck for me with the LC9s, I could have gone either way. One of Big Chief's evil Palmetto State Armory enable message public announcements about a blowout sale got the LC9s into my hands. I liked the G43 better than other Glocks I'd shot up to that point, this was when Gen 4 was still relatively new and I guess it affected the design of the G43. I also may or may not have a G19 that wasn't built by Glock.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    edited August 15 #53
    Short range report.

Ending up finally getting it out to the range this week for a quick ~100 rounds session. Got it sighted in without issues. However, damn, I'm out of practice. I took it to 25 yards and best I could post on a B8 was 80 or so (usually shoot in the 90's with the G19).

I like the gun for sure. No jams, etc. One weird thing was the slide got VERY hot, quite quick, as compared to my G19. Not sure why.

It's a keeper for sure, but I'm probably going to replace the extended slide release with a regular one. The nub interferes with my grip.
    👍🏻👍🏻
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Is the heat enough to hinder sustained shooting? Cause damage?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5