Home Main Category General Firearms

I think this is a first for me...

GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
A 6.5” scoped 624 no dash.  Has a Leupold M8 2X Extended ER scope on a Leupold base mounted on it.  Looks like it might be a fun southern deer/hog gun.

Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Replies

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,892 Senior Member
    Nice find. Congrats!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,917 Senior Member
    Should work just fine
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,004 Senior Member
    That’ll work. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,796 Senior Member
    This still be interesting to go afield with a handgun as the primary hunting gun.  I’m used to having a scoped rifle with a short barreled handgun on my belt.  Oh, well, I guess this seals the fate on me handloading.  I don’t even have ammo for it yet 😁

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Scoped it tips the scale at Only 3.5lbs (empty).  That should be an easy carry!

• mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    A few years ago I picked up a used Ruger Readhawk in .41 magnum that had a scope on it.  I just couldnt get used to the scope and found a rear sight to put on it.  I would go broke if I tried to feed it factory ammunition.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    Handgun hunting is addictive.  So easy to carry around when compared to a full-size rifle.

Nice gun!  Congrats!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    It looks like a bullet proof mount. Maybe Hornady makes a 200gr ftx factory load for it?
    Thanks guys.  Now I need a holster for it... 😬

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,391 Senior Member
    i did the same setup on my Colt Diamondback 22.

but what you will notice is that EVERY movement/shake will be amplified by a gazillion times.

but have fun anyway.
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,664 Senior Member
    That's a fine lookin' pistol! I wouldn't know how to shoot it, but I'll admire it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 566 Senior Member
    Nice S&W buddy.
    Did you get the rear sight with it ?

Nice S&W buddy.

Unfortunately no.  Shopping for one on eBay... 😢

ilove22s said:

but what you will notice is that EVERY movement/shake will be amplified by a gazillion times.

but have fun anyway.
    I have a fix for that.  Last year I made myself a shooting monopod using an old Bogen professional monopod I've had for years and a head I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse for about $15.  Works with cameras, handguns and rifles very well and it makes for a hell of a sturdy "hiking stick" and not a bad weapon of opportunity if the need arrises.  It's thick aluminum and a hell of a lot sturdier than the specialty shooting ones I've seen in the stores and they come up for sale on eBay pretty frequently for cheap!

zorba said:
    That's a fine lookin' pistol! I wouldn't know how to shoot it, but I'll admire it!
    Thanks!  I prefer these skinny barreled S&Ws.  I'll get some hard cast loads going for hunting and some pussycat loads for range fun and it should be a lot of fun to shoot!

ilove22s said:

but have fun anyway.
    You NEED to handload!!!
    GunNut said:
    Nice S&W buddy.

How much you want for the scope?
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    Thanks!  I prefer these skinny barreled S&Ws.  I'll get some hard cast loads going for hunting and some pussycat loads for range fun and it should be a lot of fun to shoot!
    If you go for flat nosed hardcast.......target the support structure (shoulder/spine/neck). If you go for hollow point (Matt’s Bullets like I use) target the heart lungs. 
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 566 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    ilove22s said:

but have fun anyway.
    You NEED to handload!!!

That sounds familiar.
    Can't say as anyone told you to reload 22 rimfire though
    Zee said:
    GunNut said:
    Nice S&W buddy.

How much you want for the scope?
    Oh I’m not taking the scope off.  I just want to have a rear sight for it.  I just hate missing gun parts.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,152 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    I have some .45Colt loads that are an absolute hoot to shoot in my scoped .454Casull Super Redhawk.  They duplicate .45ACP ballistics with a copper plated bullet.  With the light behind you, you can see the base of the bullet in flight through the scope with the right light... you can almost use it like tracers and “walk” the shots into the target at 100 yards.  
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    GunNut said:
    zorba said:
    I have some .45Colt loads that are an absolute hoot to shoot in my scoped .454Casull Super Redhawk.  They duplicate .45ACP ballistics with a copper plated bullet.  With the light behind you, you can see the base of the bullet in flight through the scope with the right light... you can almost use it like tracers and “walk” the shots into the target at 100 yards.  
    I have some .45 Colt loads like that.  They are fun to shoot.  Kinda like a .22 on steroids!

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 65 Member
    I haven’t looked back after switching to 44 Super Blackhawk for Midwest whitetail. In the brush, up trees, short visibility it’s the right tool. Both hands free is one of the most significant advantages.  The 44 is stock, iron sights. Most deer shots in those areas are under 50yds. 

You are in fine shape with the SW!
    but the instant you are successful you might just leave the rifle at home on the next outings
    Japhy said:
    I haven’t looked back after switching to 44 Super Blackhawk for Midwest whitetail. In the brush, up trees, short visibility it’s the right tool. Both hands free is one of the most significant advantages.  The 44 is stock, iron sights. Most deer shots in those areas are under 50yds. 

You are in fine shape with the SW!
    but the instant you are successful you might just leave the rifle at home on the next outings
    I could see that happening for a bit but at the end of the day I REALLY love my rifles so I don’t think they’ll be completely abandoned.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    edited July 26 #26

MMMMMMM. . . Tapered barrel N-Frame. . .ahhhhhhhhh. . .

I couldn't leave the scope on personally, but I get where you're going with that.  Well done!
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug said:

MMMMMMM. . . Tapered barrel N-Frame. . .ahhhhhhhhh. . .

I couldn't leave the scope on personally, but I get where you're going with that.  Well done!
    Thanks!  Hey I already have 2 other tapered barrel S&W .44s with irons on them, so I guess we can leave this one scoped 😁

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 65 Member
    For a total of 3 SW 44?
    that is just not fair!