Home Main Category Clubhouse

A trip through the Northern Plains

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 16,921 Senior Member
Just outside Deadwood SD there is an interpretive center called Tatanka. On the grounds are 14 larger than life bronzes commissioned by Kevin Costner depicting a buffalo hunt.

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,921 Senior Member

edited July 22 #7
    At Chamberlain SD is"Dignity" 30 feet tall, 27000 pounds of stainless steel, moved on site complete...

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Looks like nice weather.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,989 Senior Member
    That’s pretty cool. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,783 Senior Member
    Spectacular!!!  I’m so jealous...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,915 Senior Member
    That just became a Must See
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Looks like nice weather.
    I was for the most part...it was 97 the day we went to Deadwood and Mount Rushmore....but it was a dry heat :wink:)

We judiciously avoided the tourist traps and planned out what we wanted to see...
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,036 Senior Member
    Wow! I was in Deadwood a few years ago. Didn't know this place existed. It's now on the bucket list.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    At the Sioux Museum in Chamberlain we saw a buffalo hide pictograph that was made in 1866 depicting the Fetterman Fight...where Lt. William Letterman supposedly claimed "With 80 men I could ride through the entire Sioux nation"...Red Cloud and Crazy Horse showed him that he couldn't...all 80 troopers plus Lt. Fetterman were killed
    Wow! I was in Deadwood a few years ago. Didn't know this place existed. It's now on the bucket list.

Mike
    It's a mile outside of town...very nice museum there as well...
    This trip started out in Ludington MI (about an hour from our house) where we put the Jeep aboard the S.S.Badger and made the 4 hour crossing of Lake Michigan to Manitowoc WI...(I will never drive through Chicago again to go out west).....

• N454casullN454casull Member Posts: 563 Senior Member
    Did you goto the Vore Buffalo Jump? It’s just north of Sturgis. 
    We also stopped in Pipestone MN at the Pipestone quarry where for centuries Native Americans have been going to quarry Pipestone (Catlinite) for making pipes...
    As a tribal member, my wife can quarry her own stone but she decided to get a pipe made by a local Sioux artist...the pipe depicts Raven, The trickster....her medicine animal...

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    I think I read that the night after the Fetterman massacre. The moon was so bright it was like daytime.
    Did you goto the Vore Buffalo Jump? It’s just north of Sturgis. 
    Didn't make it there...on the list though
    edited July 23 #22
    We went to MT Rushmore. Probably won't again. But there's more history in the Black Hills than you can shake a stick at. I plan on seeing most of it.
    Mike
    N454casull
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,783 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    We also stopped in Pipestone MN at the Pipestone quarry where for centuries Native Americans have been going to quarry Pipestone (Catlinite) for making pipes...
    As a tribal member, my wife can quarry her own stone but she decided to get a pipe made by a local Sioux artist...the pipe depicts Raven, The trickster....her medicine animal...

Wow, gorgeous pipe! ❤️
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

You drove right past Minnesotashooter, go stand in the corner for not letting us MN folks know you were passing through :s , I keep meaning to take the kids on a day trip to the Pipestone area, been through there a bunch of times and saw stuff I wanted to stop and check out
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    We went to MT Rushmore. Probably won't again. But there's more history in the Black Hills than you can shake a stick at. I plan on seeing most of it.
    Mike
    That there is...My. Rushmore is a must see....once...we got there...paid 5.00 to park (senior/veteran)...took some pictures from the gate and left....Waaaayyy too many people

On the other hand, we spent about three hours at Tatanka...the docent there is a Sioux Holy Man and has an incredible amount of knowledge to share...
    As an aside....eat at the Red Rock in Wall SD...25% discount for vets...great food...

And no matter what all the billboards say....stay the hell away from Wall Drug....far too many people there too...
    Mt Rushmore was kind of underwheming, honestly. Crazy Horse, OTOH, was...while unfinished, pretty darned inspiring.

A LOT of our history happened in that area.

Mike
    N454casull
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:

You drove right past Minnesotashooter, go stand in the corner for not letting us MN folks know you were passing through :s , I keep meaning to take the kids on a day trip to the Pipestone area, been through there a bunch of times and saw stuff I wanted to stop and check out
    I'm sorry....wish we had time to stop and visit....had to get the wife home in time for her shoulder surgery...

When you go...check out Prairie Maiden Treasures downtown to see some amazing pipes...
  • minnesotashooterminnesotashooter Senior Member Posts: 771 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:

You were less than 10 miles from my house when you were in pipestone
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:

I'm sorry....wish we had time to stop and visit....had to get the wife home in time for her shoulder surgery...

When you go...check out Prairie Maiden Treasures downtown to see some amazing pipes...
    I know, busy is my middle name, tell the boss I am praying her surgery is successful and uncomplicated.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Jayhawker said:

I know, busy is my middle name, tell the boss I am praying her surgery is successful and uncomplicated.
    Thanks...I'll pass that along...they are replacing the ball of her humerus...for some reason she has some osteo necrosis going on....