Home Main Category Clubhouse

Our new cat loves Tootsie-Pops.

LinefinderLinefinder ModeratorPosts: 7,028 Senior Member
edited July 25 in Clubhouse #1
Sophies' successor loves mini Tootsie-Pops. Will lick them down to the center until she gets to the actual tootsie roll center, then she's done. Until that point, it gets her undivided attention no matter how long it takes. Strange...I've never met a cat that ate anything sweet.

OTOH, I once had a beagle/basset mix that would eat his weight in turnip/collard greens, and a boxer that loved tomatoes.

Some pets are just different in amusing ways.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
N454casull

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,776 Senior Member
    edited July 26 #2
    Now that's one you don't hear very often!  And how did she get the first Tootsie Pop to try out?  :D
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Ok, do we have to ask? Regardless of what Mr Owl said, its more than three!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Is the center of tootsie roll pops chocolate or have chocolate in it; if so beware chocolate is bad for cats.

Cat probably knows this some how.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,028 Senior Member
    If I can figure out how to post a video I took with my phone, I will. Blue raspberry, though the flavor doesn't seem to matter.

Mike
    N454casull
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,622 Senior Member
    All that sugar might be hard on her pancreas too, sugar is not what they are designed to run on.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    GunNut said:
    Now that's one you don't hear very often!  And how did she get the first Tootsie Pop to try out?  :D
    We were downstairs watching a movie. Machell was enjoying one of the grandsons' Tootsie-Pops when Mochie jumped onto her lap and pretty much took it away from her. We thought she was just going to bat it around for a bit....no.....she proceeded to lick it for half an hour or more. I figured it couldn't be good for her, but the next day....I couldn't resist. I gave a grape flavored one 3-4 licks, and wham....12 lb cat taking what was "rightfully" hers.

Occasional....very occasional treat.

Mike
    N454casull
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,158 Senior Member
    I thought I read cats do not have taste buds for sweet?
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 1,445 Senior Member
    My wifes cat will beg for Glenlivet or a 7&7 (drop on a finger only) and likes the spicy garlic sauce from BWW.
    GunNut said:
    We were downstairs watching a movie. Machell was enjoying one of the grandsons' Tootsie-Pops when Mochie jumped onto her lap and pretty much took it away from her. We thought she was just going to bat it around for a bit....no.....she proceeded to lick it for half an hour or more. I figured it couldn't be good for her, but the next day....I couldn't resist. I gave a grape flavored one 3-4 licks, and wham....12 lb cat taking what was "rightfully" hers.

Occasional....very occasional treat.

Mike
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

jbp-ohio said:
    I thought I read cats do not have taste buds for sweet?
    I've read that too, and I've never seen any cat show any interest at all in anything sweet. That's what makes this so strange. Maybe it's a texture thing?

Mike
    N454casull
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,087 Senior Member
    edited July 26 #12
    You should try a regular lollipop and see if she like it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    One thing to consider is dental problems that could result from even "occasional" sugary treats. Unless you want to start brushing her teeth after these treats, I would advise against it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I used to work with a guy that habitually had an after work snack of chedder cheese and Bud Light. His cat liked it too and joined him at the table every afternoon for a slice of cheese and a small amount of warm beer in a small saucer. The beer had to be room temp, though. Wouldn't touch a cold one.

Mike
    N454casull
    Did a little research, and most experts opine that cats can't taste sweets. The internet is full of videos of cats eagerly chowing down on ice-cream or donuts, but they say that is due to the fat content, which cats can sense.

A Tootsie Pop has no fat content, until you get to the center, which this cat studiously avoids. I'm thinking it has to be a texture thing. Anyway, it's strange and something I've never before seen.

Mike
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    When I was a kid we had a red tabby that would go berserk over watermelon.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Both of our dogs love beer.  Like Pavlovian-dog-level drool to the smell of it.  Gotta be mindful not to leave bottles anywhere near where they can surf for it.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    edited July 27 #18
    Okay...more than a flash in the pan......

The cat was upstairs sound asleep on "her" chair, with an oscillating fan providing white noise. Machell and I were downstairs when she decided to unwrap a Tootsie Pop as quietly as she could. 5 feet away I didn't hear a sound.

20 seconds later, Mochie is sitting on her lap staring at the stick protruding from Machells' mouth. 30 seconds later, Mochie is "gently" stroking Machells' cheek with her paw until Machell decided the cat wanted it more than she did.

This is flat-out weird.......

Mike
    N454casull
    Always meant to try this........

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Speaking of weird. Our cat Ruger will watch a piece of ice melt on floor...... 

Did a little research, and most experts opine that cats can't taste sweets. The internet is full of videos of cats eagerly chowing down on ice-cream or donuts, but they say that is due to the fat content, which cats can sense.

A Tootsie Pop has no fat content, until you get to the center, which this cat studiously avoids. I'm thinking it has to be a texture thing. Anyway, it's strange and something I've never before seen.

Mike
    That’s just funny!!!

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,087 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio said:

I love how at 00:48 that one accidentally puts a front paw in the water and then holds it up like it's broken or something as it walks off
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    jbp-ohio said:

I love how at 00:48 that one accidentally puts a front paw in the water and then holds it up like it's broken or something as it walks off
    And looking HIGHLY offended in the process!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."