Home Main Category Clubhouse

A DIY on how to fix this crappy quote feature

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,094 Senior Member
I know quite a few (most) of you have tried to quote a post and then add a reply and had it not let you type outside of the quote.

Here's an EASY way to fix it without have one of those freakin' undeleteable drafts to deal with...

1) When you find it won't let you type outside the quote.. STOP TYPING.
2) press Control and A to select everything in your draft
3) Press the delete key. Then press it again to make the quote box completely go away.
4) Press the enter key
5) type your reply
6) press the up arrow to get back to the top of the reply box
7) scroll back up the thread to find the post you wanted to quote and click the quote button again
8) submit your post

Seems like a lot of steps, but it's actually quite easy.

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 361 Member
    knitepoet said:
    I know quite a few (most) of you have tried to quote a post and then add a reply and had it not let you type outside of the quote.

Here's an EASY way to fix it without have one of those freakin' undeleteable drafts to deal with...

1) When you find it won't let you type outside the quote.. STOP TYPING.
    2) press Control and A to select everything in your draft
    3) Press the delete key. Then press it again to make the quote box completely go away.
    4) Press the enter key
    5) type your reply
    6) press the up arrow to get back to the top of the reply box
    7) scroll back up the thread to find the post you wanted to quote and click the quote button again
    8) submit your post

Seems like a lot of steps, but it's actually quite easy.

Or just pay pay attention to what you are doing.  :|

Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results
    Author Unknown.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 543 Senior Member
    The draft ordeal must be with PC because i never have that issue with my phone. It does only allow me to reply in the quote box from time to time but I just delete it and start over again. Whats the deal with this draft problem?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    AlleyCat said:Or just pay pay attention to what you are doing.  

When it decides it's only going to let you reply inside a quote, doesn't matter how much attention you're paying, or not. It will not allow you to move the cursor outside of the quote.

If you're not having this problem, GREAT, however some people do and have mentioned in the past they wish they knew how to fix it.
    So, here's a work-around.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    The draft ordeal must be with PC because i never have that issue with my phone. It does only allow me to reply in the quote box from time to time but I just delete it and start over again. Whats the deal with this draft problem?
    The "draft problem" is, the automatic, server side, saving of drafts. If you decide not to post it, or occasionally if you post it while it's being saved, you end up with a saved draft. It will not let you delete the draft, you can only change it. That's why you see  "."  posts from some people, or people put "yassud" (yet another server side undeletable  draft) like zorba does from time to time.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    I sure don't get the server side draft business - who thought that was a good idea to start with, never mind the bugs?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."