Home Main Category Clubhouse

Hurricane Isaias predicted to rake the East coast...

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,395 Senior Member
of FL, GA, SC, NC, all the way up to Nova Scotia. All y'all get ready for it. Hoping it blows out quick.
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,654 Senior Member
    Thus far, we're not particularly alarmed - but that could certainly change! As of this moment, the county OES isn't even going to open shelters.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,711 Senior Member
    Center of the track is west of us; putting us on the worst side of the storm------hopefully it will step down in intensity by the time it gets here.

Had two trees taken down today, one leaning and the other rotten at the base.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,119 Senior Member
    Had a generator set up at the house I just sold, but not here so I installed a dedicated generator connection in my main panel last weekend.  Have an inverter driven HVAC system in this house so I will have air conditioning if I have to go to generator power.  Gas cans are full, pantry is stocked.......bring it!  With this COVID thing it's not like I had plans to go anywhere anyway.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Center of the track is west of us; putting us on the worst side of the storm------hopefully it will step down in intensity by the time it gets here.

Had two trees taken down today, one leaning and the other rotten at the base.

Getting those trees taken down was a good idea. Hope it's just a tropical storm by the time it gets to ya.
    Had a generator set up at the house I just sold, but not here so I installed a dedicated generator connection in my main panel last weekend.  Have an inverter driven HVAC system in this house so I will have air conditioning if I have to go to generator power.  Gas cans are full, pantry is stocked.......bring it!  With this COVID thing it's not like I had plans to go anywhere anyway.

Sounds like ya got a handle on things. Maybe the hurricane will blow the Covid out to sea, and scare the 'Typhoid Mary' yankees back up North. They invaded right after the travel ban was lifted. :D
    Zorba, you  might not be in the storm path, but you may get a poo load of rain. Be prepped for that. Flawduh is long and narrow!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    edited August 1 #6
    I live about 60 miles west of the coast. Going to have to fire up my generators to make sure they run OK. I have a 17.5 KW with a 50 amp and 30 amp outlets on it for the main power supply with outside transfer panels. That will power everything except AC, Stove and hot-water heater. I also have a 5.5 KW with a 30 amp outlet for the hot-water heater with a transfer switch on that too. Bought some ethanol-free fuel yesterday, so I guess I'm about as prepared as I can be. It's only a CAT 1 anyway, so there shouldn't be much damage, except nearest the shoreline areas.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Track is waffling back and forth-----just a wait and see now.
    I live about 60 miles west of the coast. Going to have to fire up my generators to make sure they run OK. I have a 17.5 KW with a 50 amp and 30 amp outlets on it for the main power supply with outside transfer panels. That will power everything except AC, Stove and hot-water heater. I also have a 5.5 KW with a 30 amp outlet for the hot-water heater with a transfer switch on that too. Bought some ethanol-free fuel yesterday, so I guess I'm about as prepared as I can be. It's only a CAT 1 anyway, so there shouldn't be much damage, except nearest the shoreline areas.
    I just finished the load test for the generator setup I installed last weekend.  With two refrigerators and a deep freezer, literally every light, fan, ceiling fan, TV and computer in the house on as well as my 3 ton central AC system running with the thermostat buried to 60 degrees.....my 7 KW Troy-Bilt was only at 47% capacity.  That's what inverter technology in an HVAC system will do for you.  The only things in the house I did not have on were the water heater, stove and microwaves.  At the house I just sold I also had a heat pump water heater that would run on the generator.  I should get 10-11 hours of runtime on a 7 gal tank on that generator.
    tennmike said:
    Zorba, you  might not be in the storm path, but you may get a poo load of rain. Be prepped for that. Flawduh is long and narrow!
    If predictions hold true Zorba may be in the only part of Florida to see hurricane force winds.

tennmike said:
    If predictions hold true Zorba may be in the only part of Florida to see hurricane force winds.

That's what the models show. We'll probably lose our fence, which last blew down with the last "I" storm (Irma). It needs replacing anyway...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    I just finished the load test for the generator setup I installed last weekend.  With two refrigerators and a deep freezer, literally every light, fan, ceiling fan, TV and computer in the house on as well as my 3 ton central AC system running with the thermostat buried to 60 degrees.....my 7 KW Troy-Bilt was only at 47% capacity.  That's what inverter technology in an HVAC system will do for you.  The only things in the house I did not have on were the water heater, stove and microwaves.  At the house I just sold I also had a heat pump water heater that would run on the generator.  I should get 10-11 hours of runtime on a 7 gal tank on that generator.
    I don't know anything about using inverter technology for the AC, but I'm pretty sure with the electrical setup I have, I probably needed at least a 20-25KW generator to handle all of it. My house is 2600 sq feet under air, I have a well pump, two stoves a freezer and two fridges, ceiling fans, 2 AC units and all the rest. The wiring in my house is kind of weird anyway. It's like a 2 family house here, in that my stepson lives in an attached apartment on our house, and some of the circuits in his area are on a separate panel from the main panel in our house. The electrician that installed our transfer switches set it up to run off the one 17.5 KW genny with the 50 amp and 30 amp outlets. Had I bought one of those Genset units that covered all the power requirements, things may have been different. He told me that the 17.5 KW capacity of the generator might have had enough power to do the entire house, but that would have been just enough without any surges, given the systems I have here. The other generator I already had, and since the hot water heater was left out of the new transfer circuits, I used it to power the HWH and wired in a new transfer switch to do it with.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    I don't know anything about using inverter technology for the AC, but I'm pretty sure with the electrical setup I have, I probably needed at least a 20-25KW generator to handle all of it. My house is 2600 sq feet under air, I have a well pump, two stoves a freezer and two fridges, ceiling fans, 2 AC units and all the rest. The wiring in my house is kind of weird anyway. It's like a 2 family house here, in that my stepson lives in an attached apartment on our house, and some of the circuits in his area are on a separate panel from the main panel in our house. The electrician that installed our transfer switches set it up to run off the one 17.5 KW genny with the 50 amp and 30 amp outlets. Had I bought one of those Genset units that covered all the power requirements, things may have been different. He told me that the 17.5 KW capacity of the generator might have had enough power to do the entire house, but that would have been just enough without any surges, given the systems I have here. The other generator I already had, and since the hot water heater was left out of the new transfer circuits, I used it to power the HWH and wired in a new transfer switch to do it with.

Other than an electric stove or water heater the AC systems dictate the size of the generator required more than anything else.  A standard compressor will pull up to 100 amps for a few milliseconds while starting.  That is the limiting factor.  Inverter technology uses a frequency drive motor in the compressor which will start at extremely low amperage and build as the speed increases.  That is the opposite of a standard compressor which will peak at startup and then settle to a steady amp draw.  A standard compressor only has two speeds, on or off.  Typical residential inverter systems have 20 or more speeds and the commercial systems I deal with can have over 200.  I have seen 4 ton inverter compressors start at .8 amps and peak under 30 amps at top speed.  The inverter compressor will peak at nearly 3 times the rotational speed of a standard compressor but almost never needs to run that fast.  Most times they run at a lower amp draw than a standard compressor.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    Well not only could I not say the name of the storm properly,  I didn't know it was here either.
    How about you Zorba?  If you listen to the weather channel GunNut is going to get it the worst.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Other than an electric stove or water heater the AC systems dictate the size of the generator required more than anything else.  A standard compressor will pull up to 100 amps for a few milliseconds while starting.  That is the limiting factor.  Inverter technology uses a frequency drive motor in the compressor which will start at extremely low amperage and build as the speed increases.  That is the opposite of a standard compressor which will peak at startup and then settle to a steady amp draw.  A standard compressor only has two speeds, on or off.  Typical residential inverter systems have 20 or more speeds and the commercial systems I deal with can have over 200.  I have seen 4 ton inverter compressors start at .8 amps and peak under 30 amps at top speed.  The inverter compressor will peak at nearly 3 times the rotational speed of a standard compressor but almost never needs to run that fast.  Most times they run at a lower amp draw than a standard compressor.
    I'm guessing that what you're saying is that you favor the inverter AC system over the standard compressor units. Do the inverter type systems cost more than the standard systems, or are they comparable in price? The AC/ Heat Pump unit that currently supplies cold air/heat to my section of the house is probably going to fail in the next 2 or 3 years. It's 17 years old now, and the compressor has had a capacitor booster added to it so it will start up from being off. Once the capacitor fails, the compressor will have to be replaced.

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Diver43 said:
    Well not only could I not say the name of the storm properly,  I didn't know it was here either.
    How about you Zorba?  If you listen to the weather channel GunNut is going to get it the worst.
    It never was "all that and a bag of chips" to start with - even the "Hysteria, hype, and spin machine" didn't panic over it. And now, all indicators are dipping downwards even as it slows down. We brought in, or secured all our light weight outdoor articles and plants, but I'm beginning to think this was "a waste of paper and postage" - THANK GODDESS!

We just got done putting in all the light stuff-----hot.
    Yeah, it's pretty much turning into a non-event.  Good practice run though.

I'm guessing that what you're saying is that you favor the inverter AC system over the standard compressor units. Do the inverter type systems cost more than the standard systems, or are they comparable in price? The AC/ Heat Pump unit that currently supplies cold air/heat to my section of the house is probably going to fail in the next 2 or 3 years. It's 17 years old now, and the compressor has had a capacitor booster added to it so it will start up from being off. Once the capacitor fails, the compressor will have to be replaced.

Inverter systems definitely cost more, but also cost much less to operate.  It's the difference between 40 year old technology and modern technology.  The U.S. manufacturers have been stuck in the past because energy was so cheap here....no incentive to innovate.  The Japanese were forced to innovate due to rising energy costs.  That's where the technology came from.
    Once it gets over that hot Gulf Stream current it might surprise ya. Gulf Stream is hotter'n'hell right now.
    ― Douglas Adams
    We came to Ormand Beach anyways.  They say it will go by about 0200.
    Ocean is a little rough

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,958 Senior Member

Ron, were 55 miles south of you , very slight breeze no rain its 10:37 PM

JAY

THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,854 Senior Member
    Make sure you’re wearing your mask!😷
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Got up this morning and discovered that the world did not end in a tropical storm apocalypse last night.   :D  Only had one rain band come through around mid-morning yesterday.  After that nothing but light rain on and off and a light breeze.
    Glad to hear it's been  a non event so far. Being out at sea and going through one like the ship I was on was not any fun at all. Walking on the bulkheads half the time was unnatural, and  eating C-Rats sucked. Taking a poo break was really interesting, though. :D 
    ― Douglas Adams
    edited August 3 #25
    tennmike said:
    Glad to hear it's been  a non event so far. Being out at sea and going through one like the ship I was on was not any fun at all. Walking on the bulkheads half the time was unnatural, and  eating C-Rats sucked. Taking a poo break was really interesting, though. :D 
    Interesting yes----being on a carrier was much better than a destroyer, hey.

Staying in the rack was, also, a challenge.
    jaywapti said:

Ron, were 55 miles south of you , very slight breeze no rain its 10:37 PM

JAY

Jay you must have not heard us honk the horn as we went by
    Storm? What storm? We didn't even get any rain from it. Now I get to take all that crap we brought inside back out, "I shaved my legs for nothing".

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,775 Senior Member
    Direct hit here.  They downplayed what we were getting so were under prepared.  Last night winds were solid hurricane force with gusts over 100mph.  Had to go out in the middle of it to do some tying down and almost got knocked off my feet several times.  Backyard and lawn are a mess.  Downed trees all over the neighborhood.  **** Weather Channel just can NOT, EVER, get it right...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    I saw several news articles yesterday saying it would strengthen to hurricane and hit NC. Seems they got that right...
    NN said:
    tennmike said:
    Interesting yes----being on a carrier was much better than a destroyer, hey.

Staying in the rack was, also, a challenge.
    We had two straps, one for legs and one for chest, to keep us from that unexpected ejection from our racks. :D   
    ― Douglas Adams
    This particular storm has given the meteorologists fits from the start.  The local meteorologist, who is a South Florida native, admitted that this one has been difficult to predict.