Home Main Category General Firearms

Info on German percussion cap shotgun

RickRick Posts: 10 New Member
Hi,  I bought an old German shotgun recently and can't find any info on it.  It says Veit Anschutz in Mehlis on the top of it and has no other markings that I can find.  It has fish hammers and a wooden fox for underneath where you hold it.    I have pics but don't know how to post them here ??  Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• KosmoCramerKosmoCramer Posts: 18 New Member
    Anschutz is a German firearm company.  To post a photo .. right above where you are typing you will see an icon with the sun and a mountain.. click that to add photos .. 
    here’s and article I found about their history
    http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/anschutz-family-suhl-zella-mehlis/
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,517 Senior Member
    edited August 1 #3
    I'm your Google huckleberry.  Here's a link to all the Anschutz family.  They're in alphabetical order.  Viet is near the end of the list.  He was a Master gunmaker in Mehlis in 1888. 

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/anschutz-family-suhl-zella-mehlis/

Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 462 Member
    HI Rick and welcome.
    If I were you I'd get in contact with the guy who penned the article.
    Sounds like a very cool gun.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    How long do we give him to post the pics before we impose the $5 fine?  :D   That sounds like something we definitely want to see.
  • RickRick Posts: 10 New Member
    Thanks for the feedback.  Here are some pics:
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,755 Senior Member
    Don't know anything about it but damn, they knew how to build a gun back in the day! 
    Some more pics:  
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    Wow!
    That thing is beyond amazing! The inlay around the front bead is incredible!
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,719 Senior Member
    Craftsmanship at it's finest! That's a work of art!!
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 356 Member
    I think thats not a wrong purchase,  what a workmanship
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,536 Senior Member
    Very nice work....ramrod missing or just not in the picture? Is the trigger guard metal or horn?
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    Wow!  That is an incredible find!  Much envy coming your way.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 4,617 Senior Member
    Gorgeous gun!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

The gun wasn't made for just anybody....seek out the provenance.
    If it was a bespoke gun by a German maker, it would most likely have the client's name on it.  
    edited August 3 #17
    Gene L said:
    If it was a bespoke gun by a German maker, it would most likely have the client's name on it.  
    Where do you get that from Gene ?
    not saying it is right or wrong enlighten me.

If it is true maybe it does.

one thing for sure it wasn't made for a commoner
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,478 Senior Member
    Awesome
    With that Beauty you need to do the research on that gem and get the by and for whom
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    edited August 3 #19
    Gene L said:
    Where do you get that from Gene ?
    not saying it is right or wrong enlighten me.

If it is true maybe it does.

one thing for sure it wasn't made for a commoner
    German Gun Collectors Forum, but mostly my opinion only, which isn't worth a whole lot.  My dealing is with rifles, though.  Lots of info there. There's likely a lot more info on that gun than one can see in the pictures and I hope the OP will look closely at proof and other marks and photo them.  It's certainly a fine guild gun by a Master Gunsmith.   

Commoners in Germany didn't have a place to hunt and most wouldn't own a fine shotgun at all.  It could be a bespoke gun; getting provenance might be a problem or might not.  It would be worth a try if the records still exist.  Apparently, all the guns of the Anschutz family were custom guns at that time and that quality.  My rifle has the retailer's name and address on the rib.  

Thanks everyone.  The trigger guard is horn, I didn't realize that until you said it and I checked.  The ram rod is missing and I hope to replace it some how and find out all about the gun.  I can't find any markings on it but who knows.  I bought it off of someone who's grandfather had died etc.   What do you think I should of paid for it ???
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,719 Senior Member
    If the price was something you were both comfortable with, then it was the right price!!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,491 Senior Member
    Just a guess, but probably a lot more then you did. That's a fabulous find, and not something you'll find even in really good collections.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    OK, thanks again.  He wanted $1,200 but I got it for $800 without knowing anything about it ??

edited August 3 #24
    Got to have proof marks somewhere.  See if you can find them on the barrel. 
    Gene L said:
    Got to have proof marks somewhere.  See if you can find them on the barrel. 
    Yep, take the barrels out of the stock.  Good chance the proof marks are on the bottom side hidden by the stock.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

edited August 3 #26
    I would think proofs would be outside where a buyer could see them.  A ML isn't as easy to dismantle as a break open gun.  If it isn't proved, it could be an exhibition piece!  How neat would that be? It would account, in my eyes, the rather large gold makers name on the rib. A lot of skills were demonstrated on the gun.

Pretty much all the European shotguns I’ve played with had hidden proof marks but. Will admit to mat having any experience with MLs.

edited August 3 #28
    My Darne has proofs on the water table.  It's worth a look on the MLs, though. Have to take the stock off on the OP gun, I believe.
    I took it a part and the pic is of the only markings on the barrel or anywhere else ??
    Very curious.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    Thin coat some paste wax on the wood and metal to preserve it before reassembly. Don't forget to wipe off the excess.