Home Main Category Hunting

The kid's first bobcat

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 5,486 Senior Member
Idaho prime bobcats are going for $300-$450 each.

Bobby1.jpg
When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,120 Senior Member
    Gorgeous cat! That's a helluva fetch knowing that pelt prices are that good!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    Very nice cat!...Typically, the heavily spotted pelts bring higher prices...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    looks good, hope he gets that much.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    While pretty darned cool, I doubt I'd drop $300, much less $450, for a pet bobcat. It does seem rather tame.
    Overkill is underrated.
    While pretty darned cool, I doubt I'd drop $300, much less $450, for a pet bobcat. It does seem rather tame.

Shhhhhhh...he's napping....
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

Try $1750 for a pet.

http://www.bobcatsmt.com/pricing.htm
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

After:

FYI: Bobcat has the taste and texture of pork.

Bobbyputup.jpg

Adam J. McCleod

CaliFFL wrote: »
    After:

FYI: Bobcat has the taste and texture of pork.

I've heard the same said for Mountain Lion...
    cpj wrote: »
    Tastes like pork, ehh?

Im not sure I would try cat. Bob, or Bob's either one.

We cut off the hams and the backstraps and pan fried in bread crumbs. It is surprisingly mild.

Adam J. McCleod

• U TU T Member Posts: 423 Member
    We cut off the hams and the backstraps and pan fried in bread crumbs. It is surprisingly mild.

Tell him way to go! Trapped it I assume? I think it's great that you ate it too. I never even thought about eating one.
    U T wrote: »
    Tell him way to go! Trapped it I assume? I think it's great that you ate it too. I never even thought about eating one.

That boy has tried EVERYTHING he has trapped. Usually just the backstraps. Most things I won't try, but the raw bobcat meat looked and smelled appealing.

Adam J. McCleod

• jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    That's really cool. I sure don't hear much about trapping around here these days. I think it's great he's doing so well at it.
    Bobcat tastes good? Whoda thought?
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,048 Senior Member
    You mean there is a wild animal out there that doesnt taste like chicken????

Awesome looking animal BTW. Bet he was stoked when He saw it!!
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Well I'm happy for him, but I ain't eatin no CAT!!! LOL!!! No way. I guess if you'd eat a wild hog you'd eat about anything, but I've smelled too much cat pee to want to eat one, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • justin10mmjustin10mm Senior Member Posts: 688 Senior Member
    Congratulations on his first cat, I still remember my first (also trapped) like it was yesterday.

Shame you can't get that kind of money for Texas cats. Their pretty much worthless.

I shot a big tom just last night, he would have made a nice pelt if there was a market for them down here.

001-6.jpg
  • bklysenbklysen Member Posts: 473 Member
    justin10mm wrote: »
    Congratulations on his first cat, I still remember my first (also trapped) like it was yesterday.

Shame you can't get that kind of money for Texas cats. Their pretty much worthless.

I shot a big tom just last night, he would have made a nice pelt if there was a market for them down here.

001-6.jpg

Both are nice looking cats....

justin - your rifle is also a beauty. What is it? Caliber?
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Bobcats sold at 100% of the 132 offered, at an average of $572.21. Looks like cat prices are back to the high levels of a couple years ago.

Is that something your sure of Justin?

Cat prices are way up there
    justin10mm wrote: »

He is nice. You can get him tanned and turn him into a wall hanger.

Adam J. McCleod

Weatherby wrote: »
    Bobcats sold at 100% of the 132 offered, at an average of $572.21. Looks like cat prices are back to the high levels of a couple years ago.

Cat prices are way up there

Cat prices are based on geography and time of year, because of fur density (hairs per in^2). Southern cats go for around $50, last time I looked.

Adam J. McCleod

He is nice. You can get him tanned and turn him into a wall hanger.

Brings up another question: any do-it-yourself hair-on tanners out there? Always wondered just how involved that might be....the reading I've done suggests its not a small undertaking.

The folks who tan around here, that I've talked to, won't even do hair-on anymore.
    bklysen wrote: »
    Brings up another question: any do-it-yourself hair-on tanners out there? Always wondered just how involved that might be....the reading I've done suggests its not a small undertaking.

The folks who tan around here, that I've talked to, won't even do hair-on anymore.

Home tanning sucks. I've tried it on a number of raccoons for practice and the skin is never as soft, nor do I get the leather smell that comes from professional tanning.

You can send it to Moyles (www.moytown.com) and have it done for $27. They do great work and have about a 90 day turn around. There are cheaper tanneries, but this is where we send ALL pelts for tanning.

Adam J. McCleod

Home tanning sucks. I've tried it on a number of raccoons for practice and the skin is never as soft, nor do I get the leather smell that comes from professional tanning.

You can send it to Moyles (www.moytown.com) and have it done for $27. They do great work and have about a 90 day turn around. There are cheaper tanneries, but this is where we send ALL pelts for tanning.

Thank You! :up:

I'll check them out.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    bklysen wrote: »

Same thing here. Everyone I've talked to and read says you either end up with a crispy hair on sheet or it'll eventually fall appart. Gotta figure out what it was they were doing several hundred years ago. I imagine it involves urine and brains...
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    hmmm I have 2 salted hides from 2010 I don't mind ruining I might try this with
    Don't brain tan salted hides. From the link:
    Notes on a salted hide: If all you can get is a salted hide, then your first step is to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse. You need to get the salt out of the hide. Once you have rinsed it real well a couple dozen times, then rinse it again (always in clean flowing water) again a dozen times more.

You can try a Lutan-F tanning kit. It will preserve your hides but I have yet to duplicate professional tanning.

Adam J. McCleod

Interesting to note.....
    Using coyote as an example...one place I looked into wanted $95, with a 4 month turnaround. At that price I said heck with it, I'll learn which prompted my question.

But with Moyles' quote of $23, with 30 days, maybe 60...I'm just amazed at the price difference. Makes me wonder what a $95 job could do that much differently? I have no clue, but at $23 it's hard to envision a big down side. I think the decision got a lot easier.
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 511 Senior Member
    I tried tanning a couple of deer hides a few years back, both hair on and off. I Will never gripe about the price of leather jackets again!:yikes: What a labor intensive project!
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire
  • AiredaleAiredale Banned Posts: 624 Senior Member
    Assuming he trapped it, what set did he use??

Jim
    Airedale wrote: »
    Assuming he trapped it, what set did he use??

Jim

Yeah he trapped it. It was a blind set on a game trail. We tried cubbies all winter and nothing.

Adam J. McCleod