Home Main Category General Firearms

Sporting Clays

sakodudesakodude Senior MemberPosts: 3,755 Senior Member
Who here plays this game? Shot my first ever course yesterday and it was humbling to say the least.
I shot on a trap league years ago and was pretty good and fancied myself a decent shotgunner but yesterday exposed the folly of that thinking. Only breaking 30 out of 100 targets was not how I thought the day would go :#
Shot with my Weatherby pump 12ga and at some stations, the doubles were so fast I could barely get the second round chambered and fired before it was to late.
Think I might be addicted now though, as soon as my shoulder quits hurting I want to go try it again :p

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    That's 29 better than I would have got. Assuming I had some luck and fortune.
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 462 Member
    Never tried it but have a double that would to.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,517 Senior Member
    I have done it and discovered I'm no wing shot.  Still, it's a fun way to burn up a flat of ammo in a hurry. I wouldn't attempt it with a pump gun.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,263 Senior Member
    Yeah, semi-auto or doubles are the guns of choice, you CAN use a pump, I have seen some folks do it, but you need to be FAST. I am not so sure messing with chokes is all it is cut out to be, I forgot to screw my modified choke back in one time after a cleaning and shot better, 100 rounds of plastic in the choke threads is fun to get out. I usually average in the mid to low 80's, I have been in the high 70's this year, can't get a good string going. The course will change A LOT with a wind direction change from week to week, we can shoot 3 for score and then get the top 2 scored each month, course changes each month, my main problem is focus, if I show up thinking about too much crap, I shoot bad until I get my head space sorted out. Took me a good couple of years to get better at it after coming from a Trap background. I switched over to a Montefeltro after I "won" one, I shoot it better than my 1100, not sure why, I bang my nose with my thumb in recoil on the right to left shots. I can't say I shoot pheasants any better since I took up sporting clays :'(
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 1,964 Senior Member
    You just need to get yourself one of these.  :D

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 4,617 Senior Member
    Like you said.  Fun/humbling is right on the money...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,755 Senior Member
    I have a Browning Gold Hunter semi auto but Let my son in law shoot with it. Also his first clays coarse and I only beat him by 3 birds! Dang young people with their good eyes and fast reflexes :D
    I told him before we shoot again one of us will have a new gun :#
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 4,617 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    I have a Browning Gold Hunter semi auto but Let my son in law shoot with it. Also his first clays coarse and I only beat him by 3 birds! Dang young people with their good eyes and fast reflexes :D
    There you go!  My favorite for SC is my Weatherby Orion O/U.  No faster second shot but to be really competitive you need a ported gun.  Browning makes some outstanding ones if you get serious about it.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 462 Member
    quite the influx of doubles here just saying...……...LOL
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,536 Senior Member
    edited August 3 #11
    I've shot a LOT of trap and skeet...clays is a whole nother thing...my scores from the former plummet drastically when engaging in the latter...I've used a SxS most of the time

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,755 Senior Member
    you might need to keep me apprised of your finds 
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,263 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    sakodude said:
    There you go!  My favorite for SC is my Weatherby Orion O/U.  No faster second shot but to be really competitive you need a ported gun.  Browning makes some outstanding ones if you get serious about it.
    What advantage does this provide?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 305 Member
    I've never been a shotgunner really but had a buddy invite me over to shoot clays because he bought a thrower. I missed the first few until he told me where about I should aim and then he was displeased when I didn't miss another one afterwards 😆
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    I've dabbled in all the shotgun games (typically about a 20 shooter for trap) but could never maintain any real passion for them.  It's fun to be there and do it, but very difficult for me to work up the desire to go do it.

If you hunt, sporting clays is dang sure better practice.  Trap & skeet are the same shots anywhere in the world you play the game - you know those shots are coming, and you line yourself up to take those specific shots, no differently than you would settle your body position for 600 yard prone in Highpower.  Dove, quail, ducks, and pheasant are not so accommodating as to allow you that kind of prep, and sporting clays sort of reflects that.

Unfortunately, like so many other shooting sports, the gamers tend to run it.  In shotgun sports, that seems to place an emphasis on the fast double causing courses to be set up in a way that creates a need for an expensive O/U or autoloader to be competitive, when the reality is that plenty of limits get filled with cheap pump actions every year.  Kind of exclusionary.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,719 Senior Member
    I tried it once, but the gravy was a bit gritty!! :)
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,478 Senior Member
    edited 2:28PM #17
    Big Al1 said:
    I tried it once, but the gravy was a bit gritty!! :)

Gritty?  I didn't even get any
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5