Lying to congress rant

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 8,590 Senior Member
I'm sorry this should not be a crime. Congress lies to us every freakin day yet they can forcefully haul your butt in front of them, ask you a bunch of questions that are none of their darn business and then try to prosecute you if you give the wrong answer. I'm sorry this is just wrong. I understand perjury when it comes to the judicial system. If you lie under oath in a trial that is someone else's life you may be ruining, but what's the point of being under oath when testifying before congress? If they have the power to throw people in jail for lying to them, we should get the right to throw them in jail if they lie to us. Yes I'm well aware there wouldn't be a single one of them left that was the case.

Rant off

PS I don't really care about Roger Clemens, I just can't get over the hypocrisy of the whole thing.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,263 Senior Member
    Hmmmm- - - - -why not just throw ourselves in jail for electing the stinking scumbags? We sort of deserve what we've got, don't we?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member
    Borrowing from Ron White here. When called to testify before Congress, we all have the right to invoke the 5th Amendment and remain silent; the problem lies in the fact that few have the ability to do so.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    It's a crime because they get offended when amateurs try to do it in front of professionals.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,552 Senior Member
    All you have to do is hire a 'Congress-approved' lawyer.

He will tell you to 'take the fifth' in front of Congress, and they will leave you alone, except for a lot of snide comments to be used for media sound-bites. Then HE can lie to the media FOR you, to inform them that what they heard was not really what they heard, or what you meant to say.

He will also temporarily 'rehabilitate' your tarnished reputation, if you pay him enough...at least for long enough that the general public will lose interest and stop hating you quite so earnestly.
  • ericbericb Banned Posts: 392 Member
    I'm sorry this should not be a crime. Congress lies to us every freakin day yet they can forcefully haul your butt in front of them, ask you a bunch of questions that are none of their darn business and then try to prosecute you if you give the wrong answer. I'm sorry this is just wrong. I understand perjury when it comes to the judicial system. If you lie under oath in a trial that is someone else's life you may be ruining, but what's the point of being under oath when testifying before congress? If they have the power to throw people in jail for lying to them, we should get the right to throw them in jail if they lie to us. Yes I'm well aware there wouldn't be a single one of them left that was the case.

Rant off

PS I don't really care about Roger Clemens, I just can't get over the hypocrisy of the whole thing.

Are we discussing Roger Clemons testifying before or lieing to Congress? I have not followed much news as such lately. My questions is : What dang ( substituted for the f word) business does Congress have holding hearings about whether he, Bonds, McQuire, Sosa, et al juiced anyway. Aren't there better things to do with our tax dollars?
    "HunterJoe...You need to stick to topics you know about, which I realize is going to limit your post count."~Dan Johnson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,903 Senior Member
    But, it is ok for the police to lie to you, but, not the opposite.

But
    but
    but
    parents can lie to their children and the world says it is ok because they are teaching, saving, etc, them form horrible horrors.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,801 Senior Member
    This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member
    ericb wrote: »
    Aren't there better things to do with our tax dollars?

:that:

The fact that some over paid athlete might have used performance enhancing steroids is the LAST thing that anyone in politics should be worried about.
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    :applause::that: Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got to agree with all you fellows here on this one Ya'll made some good points. FWIW :

I guess our congress has adopted the cliche: Don't do as I do, do what we say or what we tell ya to do. The problem with lying is that one has to fabricate another, then another, then another etc etc, and then pretty soon one doesn't remember what one said or started out with... If ya always tell the truth then ya don't have to try to remember what ya said..... This should work for our congress too.... On a more cynical note there is three sides to every story:

1. My side 2. Your side 3. The truth. :roll2: I likes what ericb said about congress, don't they have better things to do than interrogate a sports player? I would think so!!!! Tax money not well spent on this.....I have often wondered how many times congress have outright lied to the American public on issues, I guess we might not ever know for sure.:roll:
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • robert38-55robert38-55 Senior Member Posts: 3,621 Senior Member
    It's a crime because they get offended when amateurs try to do it in front of professionals.

Its seems like its getting to the point in this country that every thing is a crime anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "It is what it is":usa:
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,058 Senior Member
    :that: The fact that some over paid athlete might have used performance enhancing steroids is the LAST thing that anyone in politics should be worried about.
    This should be handled by the league officials and the franchise owners. Since when does Congress have any jurisdiction in sports?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    Article 1, Section 8: interstate commerce. The Supreme Court has ruled that Congress has those powers, and has served as an arbiter in contract disputes.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • avmechavmech Senior Member Posts: 858 Senior Member
    Our tax dollars at work..............................:bang:
    NRA Benefactor Member
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,058 Senior Member
    Article 1, Section 8: interstate commerce.
    Damn, that come off the top of your head or you looked it up?
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,052 Senior Member
    I knew it was interstate commerce, just wanted to make sure of the section and how it was affirmed.

However, why is Congress involved in drug testing and other internal policies. Does Congress make sure UPS has a drug policy? That the airlines a sexual harassment policy? I don't think so, and they should treat pro sports as they do any other multi-state business.
    Overkill is underrated.