Home Main Category Clubhouse

The Wisdom of UPS Delivery

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,513 Senior Member
    I always wait until I have $25 or more in my cart on Amazon before I buy - then shipping's free and no "Prime" needed.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,094 Senior Member
    That works if you can wait.  I am often buying things that I used to run to Walmart for.  Can't always wait that long.
    There's always that.
    I virtually NEVER use "expedited" or "Priority" mail shipping for anything, and have actually not purchased things from sellers - eBay  or otherwise - who insist on using it. Except that ONE time I really need something NOW, and am willing to pay for fast shipment - and it isn't available! Ya just can't win!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,497 Senior Member
    We try to minimize shopping locally and with prime it’s so easy to just say, “hey we need xxxxxx and just push the button and it’s here in 2 days, sometimes overnight if we get it in early enough.  No sense in even doing a shopping list.  The gas I’d pay (never mind the time) for 2-3 trips to Walmart, supermarket, Lowe’s etc is more than the monthly membership and you get all the free streaming content.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

I'm getting there - local stores usually don't have what I need in stock, so much of what we buy is online as well. I just don't worry about delivery times, it shows up when it gets here! Still buying groceries (mostly) from Mal*Wart, but doing the curbside delivery which rocks! But everything we need is very close to the house - in fact Mal*Wart is probably the furthest away, just about everything else I can easily bike to or even walk to.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,073 Senior Member
    I use amazon for some things but parts is not one of them. I ordered brake pads once and got the wrong ones, no problem easy to return, ordered another set and they were wrong and I made sure they were supposed to fit. I sent them back and ordered from Summit. It didn't cost me any money but even my time is worth something.  
    Rock Auto for car parts.  The website has a distinctly "I'm from 1998!" feel to it, but it works, is solid, and they ship fast.  Usually have the parts next day, and I have never gotten used parts in a new box (as I have at Autozone), or the wrong stuff in the right box (OReiley), or had someone argue with me that they needed to know what kind of radio was in the car so I could get a taillight bulb (Advance).

Brick and mortar places are killing themselves, not being murdered by online.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I've used Rock a few times - and been impressed with their service. Their prices are either really good - or really bad it seems.

zorba said:
    I'm getting there - local stores usually don't have what I need in stock, so much of what we buy is online as well. I just don't worry about delivery times, it shows up when it gets here! Still buying groceries (mostly) from Mal*Wart, but doing the curbside delivery which rocks! But everything we need is very close to the house - in fact Mal*Wart is probably the furthest away, just about everything else I can easily bike to or even walk to.
    Another huge reason for Prime.  Wife and. Are working hard to eat healthier.  There are quite a few items we like from Whole Foods and I don’t want to drive 45 mins to get them.  Amazon now owns Whole Foods so I can get all their products online cheaper and if I go to the store bring a Prime member gets me a nice percentage off anything in the store across the board is plus special deals.

But last week I put in an order through Amazon prime for two big bottles of my favorite pure Stevia extract. When they showed up one of the bottles was broken. My wife called Prime and they immediately shipped out two new bottles at no cost and told me to keep the unbroken bottle for free for my trouble.

Again they rock...

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Ok, I'll bite. Aside from fast free shipping and the video stuff, what does Prime get me? As you know, I hate "subscriptions" of any kind, and am perfectly willing to wait for slow-boat, but free shipping. Honest question.

zorba said:
    Ok, I'll bite. Aside from fast free shipping and the video stuff, what does Prime get me? As you know, I hate "subscriptions" of any kind, and am perfectly willing to wait for slow-boat, but free shipping. Honest question.
    For me most of it is based on convenience, time savings (my time), HUGE availability of "stuff" I can't get locally, being able to compare the pricing of loads of vendors in one site (you do get options on buying from non "Prime" too) and their AMAZING and unquestionable customer service.   When I call the assumption is ALWAYS that I'm right and they will bust their ass to make me happy.  

Example, I just ordered and received a set of impact micro drill bits.  I needed a size #54 bit for a project, try finding that ANYWHERE locally.  On Amazon?  20 options in 5 seconds, one of them a NICE full set, I pressed a button and here they are.

And for me the great streaming content is nice specially when I'm traveling because it's all available in my phone and iPad too.  They are the Prime (see what I did there) reason I'm cutting the cable cord for good. I'll NEVER be without something to watch as long as I live, hell I'll never go through the list of content I have earmarked, specially all the documentaries.

We tried it for one month, and we ended up using it so much now can not be without it.  I ran the math based on actual usage and it saves me a ton of money a month.

edited August 10 #42
    Sounds like you're happy with it - for *myself*, I'm still not seeing any reason to spend the money on it - I can still buy the same crap without it. Besides, about 25% to 33% of the time, I can beat Amazon's prices elsewhere - sometimes by a considerable amount.
    AND.... sometimes not! I'm getting ready to buy a new stereo head unit for the Jeep - and Amazon is by far the cheapest - and I just found out about their "Warehouse" and "Renewed" programs. You gotta do a bit of work but it can really pay off. They have the stereo for $62 less under their open box "Renewed" program/site/search/whatever the heck it is! They're already the cheapest on this model to start with, the "Renewed" discount is just gravy on top.

I think a big difference is you’re retired and I’m not.  I don’t have a lot of time to research pricing on items. So in my experience so far Amazon has been the cheapest or close enough that it’s immaterial often enough, so I’d rather have the time savings in my pocket instead of the money.

But everyone’s mileage varies.

I've always been that way - BUT - it certainly helps to be retired!