Home Main Category General Firearms

Ammo shortage

Replies

• pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    mitdr774 said:
    I have started working up loads for powders I have in cartridges they wouldnt normally be used in due to how unavailable powder is around here.  I have been told by a lot of people that Benchmark wont work with 120-123gr bullets in 6.5 Grendel, but I have found it works well.  About to try some H1000 loads in 6.5x55 with 142gr ABLR bullets as well.  Is it an ideal powder for the cartridge?  Probably not, but I have it and its worth a try since I could still get it last I looked.  There will be lots of playing with IMR 4064 and Varget in the future as well.  When things get scarce as they have, its time to try combinations that wouldnt normally be thought of.  

Hornady Reloading Book 9th Edition Page 286:  Benchmark 23.0 to 26.5 grns   2100 to 2400 FPS for 120 to 123 grn AMAX, GMX, bullets.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,877 Senior Member
    I started this habit during the last shortage so I learned from that. I am in good shape except for something I haven't had very long. I didn't think I would use enough to reload it and was buying some but then it became harder to get and the price went up. I can get bullets and I have powder and primers but I haven't found a good deal on brass. This one could be worse than the last one depending on the election and how many large cities defund the police.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,331 Senior Member
    Saw a "deal" on Winchester White Box 9mm today - 500 rounds for $300! Double what it sold for in February...

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    JKP said:
    Saw a "deal" on Winchester White Box 9mm today - 500 rounds for $300! Double what it sold for in February...

Hell, I was buying brass cased Winchester White box at $8/50 not that long ago...
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    I started this habit during the last shortage so I learned from that. I am in good shape except for something I haven't had very long. I didn't think I would use enough to reload it and was buying some but then it became harder to get and the price went up. I can get bullets and I have powder and primers but I haven't found a good deal on brass. This one could be worse than the last one depending on the election and how many large cities defund the police.
    What brass are you looking for?
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    As noted earlier, I ordered a spare cylinder for my revolver so that I could shoot the ammo that is currently available at my local store.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,297 Senior Member
    My F.I.L.went to Cabelas in Grand Rapids yesterday and reports there is no 9mm or .223 on the shelves....also no reloading dies or components either...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 99 Member
    So what is everyone doing with all the ammo?
    Is it just being stored?

Went to the indoor range this am. It was nearly vacant!  Of course no 9mm in stock. Went to shoot my new 1911 9mm but decided to run the Ruger Mkii
    due to no 9mm to replace whatever fired.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,724 Senior Member
    My local gun store is selling 2 boxes of 9mm or 223 With the purchase of a gun! That’s bad they normally have pallets of ammo, pallets 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    JKP said:

When the Zombie Apocalypse is an abstract concept, prices for the goods needed to prep for it are stable.

The current situation is due ENTIRELY to the fact that the Great Oblivious Masses start their disaster prepping only AFTER they see something like this:

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Just saw an email with some name brand SD 9mm for $70!!! for a box of 50.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

My new cylinder arrived!  Thinking about a return trip to Academy to snatch up some more .22WMR.....these days it's shoot what you can get while you can get it....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    I'd be willing to bet that advert was from Cheaper Than Dirt.  :)
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    GunNut said:
    I'd be willing to bet that advert was from Cheaper Than Dirt.  :)
    Nope, I got off their mailing list a long time ago.  This was J&G Sales and quite frankly it surprised me.  I'm assuming their supplier is trying to screw them because they are usually really good.

• MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,824 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

Nope, I got off their mailing list a long time ago.  This was J&G Sales and quite frankly it surprised me.  I'm assuming their supplier is trying to screw them because they are usually really good.
    Just looked. Those prices are laughable! $35 for a box of $8 9mm..... :D
    GunNut said:
    Dayummm!!

Well, this calls for a change in SD tactics on my part. When the boogie man kicks in my door, instead of a mag dump CM, I'm gonna chew my toothpick for a minute then try for a head shot.

Mike
    I can tell you there will be no warning shots 😁

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    GunNut said:
    Dayummm!!

Well, this calls for a change in SD tactics on my part. When the boogie man kicks in my door, instead of a mag dump CM, I'm gonna chew my toothpick for a minute then try for a head shot.

Mike
    I can tell you there will be no warning shots 😁
    That goes without saying. Much like "Don't turn on a light".

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #51
    Going to buy 200 115 9mm Gold Dots tomorrow. Should cost me about $40 for the bullets, I have the primers, brass is free.  I might pickup a bottle of Power Pistol as well.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,931 Senior Member
    I’m just gonna sit back and watch the circus. 
    😎
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,187 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #53
    Pretty soon, 8mm Nambu at $1/rd is going to look like a bargain!
    Edit: I guess I'll be shooting my Tokarev more - ammo is available and cheaper than 9mm! Same is true of .30 Luger - I've been wanting a Luger in .30 anyway, now I have an excuse!

-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Zee said:
    I’m just gonna sit back and watch the circus. 
    😎
    Yep, me too...

Well, when we get down to ammo left for nothing but slingshots.....wait, I live in Florida....no rocks......I am so screwed.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    Dang,  My reloading store is getting light on stuff.  I ended up buying 300 9mm bullets, 300 primers, and some powder.

They have instituted a policy that they will sell primers to match bullet purchases until they run out of primers.  He said they aren’t expecting additional primers anytime soon.
    Well, when we get down to ammo left for nothing but slingshots.....wait, I live in Florida....no rocks......I am so screwed.
    I'd start hoarding ball bearings and marbles...  :D

Move to Colorado. We're the land of ice and rocks. At some point...the ammo's free.

Mike
    N454casull
    Move to Colorado. We're the land of ice and rocks. At some point...the ammo's free.

Mike

Yeah, but you have those horrid things known as "uphill" and "downhill".  Why anybody in their right mind would want to deal with that is beyond me.  :D
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,402 Senior Member
    Took the kiddo to the range at lunch today.  He wanted to keep burning .38SPL, and I was cringing because I CANT GET SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS LOCALLY!

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Took the kiddo to the range at lunch today.  He wanted to keep burning .38SPL, and I was cringing because I CANT GET SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS LOCALLY!

Perfect excuse to buy a bigger pistol.

Mike
    N454casull