Home Main Category General Firearms

Ammo shortage

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,087 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #62
    Well, had a friend get her first CC gun, a gift from her son in the form of a .380, and they shot up all the ammo practicing a few months ago, and no more ammo locally. I ran across some .380 at an ACE hardware where I was this past weekend. 2 boxes of PMC Bronze 90 gr fmj and one box of Hornady Critical defense 90 gr FTX= $70, .56/rnd, better than nothing, but dang. At least she has brass now. Was cheaper than what I saw on AmmoSeek. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,944 Senior Member
    That’s good.  Locally it’s non existent and I just heard from one of my partner stores some distributors are taking the .380 pages offline so folks don’t even ask.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JaphyJaphy Posts: 99 Member
    Early this year .22 was in short supply,  I heard comments that .22 was a low margin product and was usually the last to come back?

Today a visit to 2 sporting goods stores, both national brands, both had a good supply of shotgun shells, probably for the coming dove season, good supply of .22 (bought a brick), misc rifle 3006, 7mm, .243 and others, .45acp fmj but no pd stuff.   now it seems 9mm, .380, .40 is all sold out.  if major retailers arent getting ANY where is it going?

is this just a rotation by manufacturers?  maybe there is some hope of 9mm coming back at sane prices?
    ..or sheesh am I going to have to go buy another 1911 in .45 or 10mm?

any thoughts?

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #66
    Took the kiddo to the range at lunch today.  He wanted to keep burning .38SPL, and I was cringing because I CANT GET SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS LOCALLY!

Yeah . . .that isn't good, HOWEVER. . .

I am experiencing a small amount of Schadenfreude from the notion of all those small primer .45 ACP brass advocates staring sheepishly at their empty magazines.

In case you've missed my posts on the matter, I wish for the existence of Hell so that the guy who came up with small primer .45 ACP brass can find his proper place in the universe. If Hitler, Stalin, and Mao end up there too, I guess that's OK, but we have to put the priority on the bigger evil first. :D
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,499 Senior Member
    Well, when we get down to ammo left for nothing but slingshots.....wait, I live in Florida....no rocks......I am so screwed.
    Don't knock the old school slingshots.  I saw a documentary on Roman archaeology recently where someone got 4" of ballistic gel penetration with one of the old football-shaped cast lead sling bullets.

How's your twirling arm?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Well, when we get down to ammo left for nothing but slingshots.....wait, I live in Florida....no rocks......I am so screwed.
    Don't knock the old school slingshots.  I saw a documentary on Roman archaeology recently where someone got 4" of ballistic gel penetration with one of the old football-shaped cast lead sling bullets.

How's your twirling arm?

I actually do have experience with the traditional slings.  When living in West Africa as a teenager I had a locally made sling sized for my (at the time) 6'2" frame.  Once you learn the proper mechanics, you can achieve very impressive velocity with the proper projectile.  You could tell you got it right when the end of the sling you released would crack like a whip.  Learning to aim was challenging, but doable.  Our house was on a hill and for fun I would go out in the yard and launch stones out over the jungle canopy.  Maximum range was over 200 yards.  Smooth stones were more accurate and had longer range but rough stones sounded a lot cooler.  :D  I wish I knew what happened to my sling.  I know I brought it back from Africa but have not seen it in a couple of decades now.  Oh well, since it was made from braided tree bark and would now be well over 30 years old it would be too fragile to use.
    Tops (the knife maker) makes a very nice metal slingshot with replaceable bands etc.  I’m strongly considering getting one just because.  I can actually see some real world applications.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,379 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #70
    GunNut said:
    Tops (the knife maker) makes a very nice metal slingshot with replaceable bands etc.  I’m strongly considering getting one just because.  I can actually see some real world applications.
    When the Zombies come and there are no more bullets or powder that slingshot with a marble will be deadly on man or beast
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    When the Zombies come and there are not more bullets or powder that slingshot with a marble will be deadly on man or beast
    GuNut’s post got me thinking that a shooter marble to the forehead is likely more than just a smarting deterrent.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    When the Zombies come and there are not more bullets or powder that slingshot with a marble will be deadly on man or beast
    GuNut’s post got me thinking that a shooter marble to the forehead is likely more than just a smarting deterrent.
    TADAAAAAH!!! AND the slingshot is a legal weapon of opportunity for SD and I have not fund any place where carrying a slingshot is banned.

A .36 or .45 cal lead ball is pretty good slingshot ammo too.  Got a few LARGE cans of those here too.

GunNut said:
    A .36 or .45 cal lead ball is pretty good slingshot ammo too.  Got a few LARGE cans of those here too.
    Either that or just go to the toy store for a bag of marbles
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    Either that or just go to the toy store for a bag of marbles
    eBay...

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    GunNut said:
    Six-Gun said:
    Diver43 said:
    GunNut said:
    TADAAAAAH!!! AND the slingshot is a legal weapon of opportunity for SD and I have not fund any place where carrying a slingshot is banned.
    When I was ~11 YO, a friend of mine had one of the aluminum "wrist rockets" that he lent me over one weekend. I was walking an old overgrown timber road alongside Bayou LaFourche, plinking at the occasional bird in the trees with irregular shaped rocks with no success. I had one ~3/8" diameter steel ball bearing I was saving for "something special".

Lo'and behold.....a ~150 lb feral hog stepped out of the palmetto onto the road, and there was my chance, at about 20 yards. He just stared at me, as if saying, "None shall pass".

I'll never forget the very satisfying sound of "thwock" as his ribcage took a very solid direct hit. I could still hear him squealing after he ran a couple hundred yards.

Mike

"Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,438 Senior Member
    Air Rifles will be coming back in style.  
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #78
    I've got a Gamo .22 Whisper Cat break open. It's done some really good work over the past couple years. I quickly learned to treat it exactly as you would a .22 RF. There's not much difference.

It ain't your childhood BB gun, that's for sure. It'll blow through a 1/2" thick cedar fence picket (on an angle, even) at 20 yards like it wasn't even there.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 4,112 Senior Member
    Should probably look into a good wrist rocket again. I've got molds for .32,.36,.44,and .50 cal round balls :#
    sakodude said:
    Should probably look into a good wrist rocket again. I've got molds for .32,.36,.44,and .50 cal round balls :#
    Look at the Tops one.  I think you’ll be impressed.

• kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,877 Senior Member
    sakodude said:

What brass are you looking for?
    300 BO. There is some out there but I have some but would like some more but I am unwilling to pay what they are asking. It will come down in price at some point.
    sakodude said:

300 BO. There is some out there but I have some but would like some more but I am unwilling to pay what they are asking. It will come down in price at some point.
    Gotcha, I have tons of brass that I'll probably never use but that is not one of them.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Went to Rural King today for some methyl ethyl weed and brush killer. They had the good stuff this time.
    Cruised by the guns and they had a pretty good selection, but ammo was unobtanium. Only had 12 ga. low brass, and some 3 1/2" duck loads. And a few boxes of 20 ga. low brass. Absolutely no pistol, rifle, or .22 LR on hand. Came home and got out the 12 ga. MEC reloader and mounted it on the bench, and loaded 100 rounds of high brass 2 3/4" 1 oz. slug loads. I got a Lyman mold to mold the slugs, and had plenty of powder, primers and shotshell hulls on hand. With what I already have on hand as to 00 buck and slugs I guess I'm ready for Aunty Faa or whoever.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,438 Senior Member
    Academy was virtually out of ammo. I did get 1 box each of 7-08, 308, and 380. They had less than 20 handguns.
    sakodude said:
    sakodude said:

Gotcha, I have tons of brass that I'll probably never use but that is not one of them.
    Do you have extra .5.56/223 brass?  You can convert it.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,877 Senior Member
    I have some and I knew it could be converted but I haven't tried it. I will probably wait until after the election and then figure out what I need to do. I guess I am lazy but I like to be able to load 500 or more if I am going to the trouble of getting everything set up. Rifle rounds no but semi auto stuff. I am loading 380 right now and it is not my favorite, those bullets are little. 
    sakodude said:
    sakodude said:

Do you have extra .5.56/223 brass?  You can convert it.
    Check your PM
    Just received an email from MIDWAY, it seems they now have .45 Colt in stock.  $59.95 for a box of 50 American Eagle JSP 225grs.
    Kind of steep but it seems ammo is beginning to show up a little at a time.

edited March 30 #89
    I went to Cabelas yesterday at the open and lucked into 1 pound of H4350, 2 pounds of Varget and 3000 small rifle primers.  

Prices were higher than I remember (the primers - Winchester- were different from the ones I normally buy - CCI/Federal) but not dramatically so.  

While I could certainly sell one box of primers on Gunbroker to pay for everything else, I have plans to fire every single one.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,728 Senior Member
    Was at Cabela's in East Grand Forks Friday and all they had was a small amount of 12 gauge. I was able to buy two boxes of bullets (they had 5 boxes), no primers or powder on the shelves did have a little bit of brass.
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 99 Member
    Did a run to a large scrap metal broker today for some aluminum. While there I noticed several large buckets of 5.56 brass. Don’t know much about it don’t own anything thing 556 and don’t reload anything these days.   Thought was that scrap metal places might be a source for brass. Everything in there is sold by weight and very reasonable compared to other metal sources.