Home Main Category General Firearms

Yet another newb.

1246710

Replies

  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Just so we're all operating off the same page...I am the originator of the barrel break-in ritual....as it was told to me by an old Odawa holy man as we sat around the campfire drinking Mescal for most of the night....so it came right from the horses mouth...as a matter of fact, the horse was standing right there and the old guy was translating...
    Thanks for my laugh of the day.  Great way to start the morning!

  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    knitepoet said:
    In regards to handguns, I will add one HUGE caveat.

    It is common for semi-auto handguns to require some period of breaking in. Not the barrel, per se, but the entire handgun. 
    You have a lot of pieces moving between each shot, and with some, it takes some rounds to get all the parts and pieces settled and working 100% reliably
    I will keep this in mind.  My .32 was purchased from a guy and was owned by his deceased wife and I recall him saying that she had done very little, if any, shooting with it.

  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #95
    KP nailed it. No two barrels are identical.

    SixGun and I both had 26" Krieger SST barrels chambered in 6mm Rem. They were twins in every way, even to the same exact chamber reamer, cut consecutively by the same gunsmith.....mine first, his the next in line.

    I found a load of H4350 that launched a 75 grain VMax at 3,750 fps. Shot like a laser. No sign at all of "overpressure". I told SixGun about it and recommended he try it. He did, but I don't recall if he worked his way up or went straight to my load.

    Anyway, his rounds clocked velocities closely approaching 4K fps. Using QuickLoad we backed in to his approximate max chamber pressure and it was in excess of 80,000 psi.....in a chamber SAAMI rated for 65,000. Not quite a "proof test" load, but mighty close. Close enough that exposing the ammo to direct sunlight would have likely pushed it there.

    Now, it could have been different lot-to-lot burn rates of the powder (more common than not....it's rare to find 2 different lots that burn at the exact same rate), or subtle differences in "twin" barrels, or a combination of both. No way to tell really. But what was a perfectly safe accurate load in my rifle was a screaming "really pushing the envelope" load in its "twin".

    In ballistics....nothing is ever cast in stone.

    Mike


    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    Tactical throw-cats...now that's a subject near and dear to my heart. We recently upgraded to a newer larger caliber TTC, and I think it's gonna work out okay. Gotta throw quick, though, because this one has a much shorter fuse than the older model. It'll go off in your hand in a heartbeat.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    Tactical throw-cats...now that's a subject near and dear to my heart. We recently upgraded to a newer larger caliber TTC, and I think it's gonna work out okay. Gotta throw quick, though, because this one has a much shorter fuse than the older model. It'll go off in your hand in a heartbeat.

    Mike
    Oh, NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  Dare I even ask?

  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    I think Zorba is our resident sequin expert, so I shall defer to him on that one.....

  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Tactical throw-cats...now that's a subject near and dear to my heart. We recently upgraded to a newer larger caliber TTC, and I think it's gonna work out okay. Gotta throw quick, though, because this one has a much shorter fuse than the older model. It'll go off in your hand in a heartbeat.

    Mike

    We used to to have a pocket nuke TTC, but no longer.


  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    Funny, that looks just like our new model. Maybe I was a victim of "bait and switch".....

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    We also used to have a clawmore cat-mine protecting the couch, but sadly that has also been de-activated....


  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    That's one damned hungry couch!!!!

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    That's one damned hungry couch!!!!

    Mike

    It's amazing what you find under the cushions when you move...
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    Twinkle said:
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    I think Zorba is our resident sequin expert, so I shall defer to him on that one.....

    Zorba would COVET my sequin collection, right habibi?

  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    We also used to have a clawmore cat-mine protecting the couch, but sadly that has also been de-activated....


    Oh, you're in for it now.  My keyboard did not like getting that coffee shower! :D

  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    knitepoet said:
    Just one guy's observation from this thread.....

    Twinkle, it appears you're going to fit in nicely :D 
    Why thank you Sir..... or Ma'am.  Whichever they call you at home.
    I like it here!

  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    We also used to have a clawmore cat-mine protecting the couch, but sadly that has also been de-activated....


    Oh, you're in for it now.  My keyboard did not like getting that coffee shower! :D


    Funniest part is, we didn't stuff her in the couch like that, she climbed in on her own.  :D
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Just one guy's observation from this thread.....

    Twinkle, it appears you're going to fit in nicely :D 
    Why thank you Sir..... or Ma'am.  Whichever they call you at home.
    I like it here!

    I've heard they call him Knothead...but I'd not do it.    :)

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Funny, that looks just like our new model. Maybe I was a victim of "bait and switch".....

    Mike

    It may look the same, but our pocket nuke came in a small package.  Easily launched with one hand, but a very short fuse.  Detonation was nearly instantaneous upon arming.  She could be be your cuddle buddy if she was in the mood....in fact she would demand attention if she was in the mood.  But if she wasn't in the mood.....well, another nickname we had for her was "Evil ****".  Definitely a strange cat.  One time she spent a solid 15 minutes sitting on the back of my office chair licking the top of my head.....go figure.
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 7,642 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #112
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    Oh Lord NO!  That would be weird!  And you get to wear the loincloth not the chipmunks!  Oh Lord, we have so much to teach you.....
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    edited August 2020 #113
    GunNut said:
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    Oh Lord NO!  That would be weird!
    Well, you can't blame a bling junkie for trying!
    PS -- I guarantee you don't want to see ME in a loincloth! :s

  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,192 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    GunNut said:
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    Oh Lord NO!  That would be weird!
    Well, you can't blame a bling junkie for trying!
    PS -- I guarantee you don't want to see ME in a loincloth! :s

    Or anybody else around here for that matter...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,773 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Twinkle said:
    GunNut said:
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    Oh Lord NO!  That would be weird!
    Well, you can't blame a bling junkie for trying!
    PS -- I guarantee you don't want to see ME in a loincloth! :s

    Or anybody else around here for that matter...
    That hurt my feelings, you jerk.

    Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,143 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    As a Belly Dancer, I'd say that the loincloths in question MUST have sequins!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,143 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    Twinkle said:
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    I think Zorba is our resident sequin expert, so I shall defer to him on that one.....

    Zorba would COVET my sequin collection, right habibi?

    That would be a big 10-4! And ya better watch your jewelry like a hawk - especially earrings. They used to call me the "Earring King" where I worked (before retirement).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    :s
    zorba said:
    Twinkle said:
    knitepoet said:
    Because of this, the forum eventually developed our "best barrel break-in" procedure. As you've already been informed, it involves chipmunks, fire, a loin cloth and a full moon.

    It's been a while since I've read the entire thing, so I forget if you have to circle the fire clockwise or counter-clockwise while juggling the chipmunks though.

    There is also some difference of opinion as to whether you wear the loincloth or the chipmunks do.....and whether or not the loincloth has to be on fire or not......if so, I think that would greatly shorten the length of the ritual.

    And just wait until you run across one of our threads where we are discussing tactical throw cats......
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    As a Belly Dancer, I'd say that the loincloths in question MUST have sequins!
    Oui, certainement!

  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 2,460 Senior Member
    edited August 2020 #119
    "Understanding Firearms Ballistics" is a fantastic book, I read it twice. Alas I lent it to someone and never got it back.

    As one member said there are a lot of choices out there but my choice of Lee was based on two things. One, I was a "broke butt". Two How much would I have to shoot to recuperate the cost of the kit and supplies. There are better kits on the market but Lees products work. The manual was written for the beginner. You can get specific load data on line today but not when I started.

    Do you need a Cadillac or will a VW suffice?  

    A quick look at Midway USA shows 5 beginner kits. If I cold afford it I'd buy the RCBS but the Lee is a lot less expensive. For a beginner with one cartridge to reload...I might even consider the Lee hand press.

    Midway USA:

    https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1013017131?pid=650614&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Metallic+Reloading+Presses&utm_content=650614

    Lee Challenger  Kit         $139.99 to $146.99
    Hornaday Lock-n-Load   $329.99 to $499.99
    Lyman                             $574.99
    RCBS Special-5              $373.99

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/MODERN-RELOADING-by-Richard-Lee-Hardcover-Shooting-Sports-BRAND-NEW/164336405474?epid=23015041942&hash=item2643368be2:g:yc0AAOSwKfVfNb7v

    A cheap place to start! IMHO buy the book, spend your money on a couple 22s, rifle and pistol. Spend some money on training and practice. Find a good CCW that fits you and your needs. Then decide what you want to do, buy a shotgun? Another hand gun? Hunting rifle? Maybe more factory ammo for that 32? Now you need a place to keep things safe. Then look at reloading.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    zorba said:
    Twinkle said:
    Twinkle said:
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    I think Zorba is our resident sequin expert, so I shall defer to him on that one.....

    Zorba would COVET my sequin collection, right habibi?

    That would be a big 10-4! And ya better watch your jewelry like a hawk - especially earrings. They used to call me the "Earring King" where I worked (before retirement).
    I do earrings too! ;)

  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,143 Senior Member
    Twinkle said:
    zorba said:
    Twinkle said:
    Twinkle said:
    Well, as a theatrical costumer, my main question would have to be whether it's suitable for the chipmunks' loincloths to have sequins?

    I think Zorba is our resident sequin expert, so I shall defer to him on that one.....

    Zorba would COVET my sequin collection, right habibi?

    That would be a big 10-4! And ya better watch your jewelry like a hawk - especially earrings. They used to call me the "Earring King" where I worked (before retirement).
    I do earrings too! ;)

    Give them to me now...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement