Home Main Category Clubhouse

I swear I saw a freshwater stingray in my stock tank

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,056 Senior Member
This morning I was driving around my stock tank and I swear I saw an 8" stingray glide off the pond weeds by the bank into the depths of the pond. It wasn't a bass or catfish. As I said it was 8" wide and looked like the ones I see diving only much smaller. I'm going back down this evening again to walk around and see what I see. I do have fresh water clams in the stock tank. My local game biologist was blown away when he saw them. He said they must have come in on one of the cranes that frequent the stock tank in the fall.

Any thoughts? I have no idea what to think. My stock tank has zero access to any water ways, it's fed by a 1/2 mile long fill line that gets water runoff from the bar ditch during heavy rains.

I'm going back down this evening and walk around and see if I can find it again and get a picture.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    People keep the freshwater stingrays in aquariums as they are generally  small at about a foot across. Several types in the Amazon river. They are  born live, so that kind of rules out being carried in  by a bird. Some clown probably turned it loose and it found its  way to your stock tank during a heavy rain. Like Murphy said, "What can happen will eventually happen."
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    Seine net will tell the tale.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,040 Senior Member
    Turtle
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Leatherback turtle...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    I concur...we have a similar critter up here called a Leatherback...same pointy nose...
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,056 Senior Member
    I'm thinking you folks are right.  I never did see the head, just saw it move through the submerged weeds and disappear.  However, it did look just like a stingray to me for those few fleeting seconds!

Thanks

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,160 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Dynamite  will tell the tale.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Dynamite  will tell the tale.

I snuck down to the pond before dark and ease over the bank.  Sure enough it was a pointy nosed turtle with a roundish flat shell.  We it saw me, it eased down through the pond weeds out of sight.  Had I not seen his head like I did this evening, I still might think it was a ray with the size and the way it moved off.

I can tell my wife I'm sane now, though she won't believe me!

Jeff in TX, those particular softshell 'leatherback' turtles are good eating. Pain to dress out, but good  eating. Ate my share of them growing up. Snapping turtles were straight out NO! unless you were starving. They do keep down the small fish population in a pond, though. Keeps the small ones from taking over.
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Jeff in TX, those particular softshell 'leatherback' turtles are good eating. Pain to dress out, but good  eating. Ate my share of them growing up. Snapping turtles were straight out NO! unless you were starving. They do keep down the small fish population in a pond, though. Keeps the small ones from taking over.
    Currently, I was way to many turtles in the pond.  I'm gonna take out five or six this weekend.  I've counted 10 so far at one time.  I'm sure there's more but that's too many for a one acre stock tank.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    Use to eat mud turtles, whatever you call them.  They're good.  Don't have soft shell turtles around here.  Question:  Tex, why are there too many turtles in your pond?  I mean, why limit them?  Do they do harm?  On the rivers around here, I've seen probably 100 turtles sunning on rocks in the Spring.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    When Pond King came out in July to shoot the gypsum into the pond, the noticed all of the turtles.  They said I should take  five or six of them out.  In a short time frame they said I could really have way too many.

edited August 14 #16
    tennmike said:
    That's interesting you feel that way , I have never had any MN snapping turtle I did not like, what don't you like? What is better about the leatherback turtles?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    When Pond King came out in July to shoot the gypsum into the pond, the noticed all of the turtles.  They said I should take  five or six of them out.  In a short time frame they said I could really have way too many.
    Therein lies my question...what happens when you have way too many?  Do they pollute the pond?
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    edited August 14 #18
    Gene L said:
    Therein lies my question...what happens when you have way too many?  Do they pollute the pond?
    Same as anything being to populated.

Eat too much. Then your bass and bluegill don't grow big due to lack of food.

A pond is just a big aquarium. 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio said:
    Gene L said:
    Same as anything being to populated.

Eat too much. Then your bass and bluegill don't grow big due to lack of food.

A pond is just a big aquarium. 
    Really close to what Pond King said, it's a balancing act trying to keep the tank in harmony.  

CHIRO1989 said:
    tennmike said:
    That's interesting you feel that way , I have never had any MN snapping turtle I did not like, what don't you like? What is better about the leatherback turtles?
    Their eating habits up  there may be different from  down here. Over the years I've seen snapping turtles eat dead cows and horses drowned in the river. Snapping turtles tend to be the vultures of the turtle family.
    ― Douglas Adams
    Most folks who eat snapping turtles, keep them in a clean water tank for a spell before eating them
    I've eaten them right out of a pond.  No dead cows or horses around the pond.  I have no idea what they eat, but I'd be surprised if they exist totally on fish.  I see so many on warm days on rocks and logs in the river they'd quickly depopulate a river.
    Snappers will eat anything that gets in range...primarily fish but including ducklings, goslings and young muskrat...
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Most folks who eat snapping turtles, keep them in a clean water tank for a spell before eating them
    I used to keep them in a barrel changing the water every day until I had clean water for a couple of days.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
    tennmike said:
    CHIRO1989 said:
    tennmike said:
    Their eating habits up  there may be different from  down here. Over the years I've seen snapping turtles eat dead cows and horses drowned in the river. Snapping turtles tend to be the vultures of the turtle family.
    Yeah, they will clean off a stringer of fish overnight. Not too many cows or horses lakeside in MN, the season for them runs in he springtime in MN IIRC