Home Main Category Hunting

Firearms season deer opener

Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors MemberPosts: 326 Member
Here in coastal SC- our gun season for Whitetails opens August 15th- as usual it was high 90"s with 90% humidity and yesterday was also beset with thunderstorms all day- finally got a weather break in the evening and the wind was right to sit a new ground blind and feeder I set up 2 months ago.
The blind is set up 60 yards from a trail running through thick overgrowth surrounding a firebreak.

Storms stopped at 5:30 pm and radar showed a couple hour break, got in the blind at 6:15- at 6:50 I heard the first shot- good- deer are moving, thunder was rolling steady all around. At 6:52 the first does and fawns showed up, they were joined by more at 7:20- now I have 9 deer feeding 60 yards away, my trail camera has shown 5 different bucks using this feeder and 2 are good shooters- they typically show just at dark around 8:30.

A few deer wander off, more arrive- still no bucks, time is getting close..8:15 the bottom dropped out of the sky and never quit.

I always consider it a successful hunt if I have an opportunity to shoot a deer even if I don't pull the trigger.
 I think that stand will produce well over the season and it's in range for my M1 carbine when doe season opens September 15. A good first sit in a little corner of my property that I have never hunted.
Our season runs through Jan 1st with a 13 deer limit.

Replies