Home Main Category Clubhouse

UFOs

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 11,743 Senior Member
Anyone ever seen one?  I MAY have seen one streaking across the late night sky.  I was lying in bed with two windows I could see out of and there was a light I first saw in the far window then saw it again in the nearer window.  It was much too fast to be a plane and parallel to the ground, not like a shooting star which would have been falling (I think) toward the earth.  This was like a very fast plane, no noise that I could hear.  So I don't know.  Recently saw a video recording by a Navy pilot of something he attempted to follow but which was way too fast.  And even more recently, the Govt. talked about declassifying some UFO reports.

I'm not a True Believer in UFOs, not much of a believer of anything like that, but I think some 'splainin' needs to be done.
Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,047 Senior Member
    edited August 26 #2
    Saw something over Bayou LaFourche in Louisiana in the early '70' when I was a kid. Watched it zip around for over a half hour, got bored and fell asleep in the boat. My Dad told me the next morning it was visible for another half hour after that.

No idea what it was. No theories, either. Too erratic to be a plane. Too fast to be a chopper. Almost 50 years later...I'm totally clueless.

Mike 
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,393 Senior Member
    not that i know of, but i want too and im still waiting if they are monitoring....hint ...hint....

and i open for a ride too...
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    Most of us have seen something flying and didn't know what it was....so...yeah!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    If you mean the literal "Unidentified Flying Object", yea. If you mean spacecraft from another planet, no. Although I'm willing to change my mind when presented with proof.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    We've all seen flying objects we couldn't personally name, but knew they were airplanes or satellites. Not those.  I'm thinking of unexplainable things you see.  If my example would have running lights on it, it could have been an airplane, a very fast airplane that made no noise. But it didn't.
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 544 Senior Member
    I have a strange theory about UFO's. I honestly think it's "us" from the future coming back to get an idea of the past. Id imagine that the distant future will make time travel possible. That would maybe explain why they don't want contact with us.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Yes, is 6th grade-----3 saucer like objects flew down the  fence line  between the school and the farm behind the school. (1953)
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    We as humans have been flying in powered flight for a mere 117 years. During that time we have gone from primitive cloth and wood aircraft to landing spacecraft on Mars, Venus, the Moon, Saturn's moon, Titan, sending craft beyond our solar system, etc. I remember reading that there is something in the order of 200 billion stars in just our galaxy alone with nearly each star having planets of their own. I think it is utterly absurd to think that we're the only ones inhabiting the cosmos. Imagine an alien civilization that has been in the business for hundreds or even thousands of years. Some laugh and scoff at the idea of visitation not even considering that we humans became an interstellar species the moment the Voyager's 'flew' beyond our solar system. 
    I have a strange theory about UFO's. I honestly think it's "us" from the future coming back to get an idea of the past. Id imagine that the distant future will make time travel possible. That would maybe explain why they don't want contact with us.
    I've often entertained the same theory. 
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,262 Senior Member
    Remember before about 15-20 years ago when you saw someone walking down the street animatedly talking to themselves and you thought they were mentally damaged?   It was really just time travellers talking on their Bluetooth devices.  :D

One has to figure that classified aviation from the U.S. and elsewhere has to have some VERY sophisticated stuff.  The F-22 Raptor prototype was rolled out about 30 years ago, has always been fairly visible in the public eye, and we're supposed to believe it's still (or ever was) the most bitchin' thing in the sky?

So.  Possibilities:

1.  Uncle Sam is keeping his new tech quiet.  Saying they know nothing is easier than having to explain that we have mach-37 capable aircraft that don't make sonic booms.

2.  It's not Uncle Sam's tech and Uncle Sam doesn't want to publicly acknowledge that he has been outclassed by spy planes from Djibouti, Mongolia, Luxembourg, Sweden, etc..., maybe even Russia or China.

Aliens?  Seems unlikely that we're seeing them in our own atmosphere, but not in any of the astronomical search devices.  If they're just conducting recon, they've been at it a long time.

Now, if there are alien visitors, the next question becomes what do the governments of the world actually know about them and is that information being shared between them?  Or are the aliens only communicating with one of them, like a hippie commune in Montana that has agreed to sell the rest of us into slavery in exchange for a star cruiser?

I've read at least one sci-fi story in which the aliens don't want the warlike monkeys getting out into their nice, tidy, interstellar community.  Maybe there's some truth in that the surest sign of intelligent life in the cosmos is that it HASN'T contacted us, and that they UFO's are just the shepherds making sure we don't get past the barbed wire.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    zorba said:
     If you mean spacecraft from another planet, no. 
    ...and yet, both Voyager 1 & 2 are well beyond our solar system, zipping along to other star systems. 
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    It's 2020. Aliens fly by earth and lock the doors!! :)
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member
    You need to get with the plan, Gene.  There's no such things as UFOs.  They are now known as Unexplained Aerial Phenomena, or UAPs.

Glad I could straighten this out.

As for your question, I see them all the time.  UFOs that is.  Not UAPs.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited August 26 #15

To test the possibility of time travel, in 2009 Steven Hawking had a full blown party for time travelers.  He didn't announce it until a year after it happened to see if time travelers would read the invitation but no one showed up.  I mean what time traveler would have missed the opportunity to go to a party hosted by SH?

There are many planets out there, but in order to support life as we know it, the same set of circumstances would have to be present in their evolution. What led to us is pretty remarkable and took billions of years.  And the speed of light is constant, and according to Einstein, finite,  meaning any travelers from other star systems would have to have figured out how to beat that constant. So it's a mystery.  I watched "How the Universe Works" on the Science Channel and all those big brain astro-physicists don't believe in alien visitation.  That show was a few years back and new evidence my have changed some minds.

I don't understand what is causing these sightings, but they're getting some credence lately.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    ...and yet, both Voyager 1 & 2 are well beyond our solar system, zipping along to other star systems. 
    That's the problem. They're not "zipping", and they're not manned. It takes centuries to travel to the nearest star, "Star Trek" isn't reality. Then there's the time dimension. To have visitors from another star system means that 1) FTL (or near light speed from a VERY close star) travel must be possible - maybe it is, probably it isn't. 2) The visitors must actually *exist* in the same period of time as we're occupying, and 3) There would have to be something here to attract visitors - the universe is incomprehensibly HUGE in both time and space.
    I put the whole thing down in the same category as I do so-called "Biblical Archaeology". A lot of wishful thinking, "we're *this* close!", and force fitting facts to fit a desired theory. I'm willing to change my mind when and *IF* incontrovertible proof is forthcoming (about either!), but until then, I give it little credence.
    As one of the characters says in a favorite, yet VERY bad sci-fi movie, "Yes, yes, yes, yes. Perhaps the core is made of cheese..."
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 361 Member
    Big Al1 said:
    It's 2020. Aliens fly by earth and lock the doors!! :)

Don't forget the accidental contacts.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    There have been ancient paintings discovered that depicted beings in rocket ships. It doesn't convince me or dissuade me either. If extraterrestrial visitations are true, I just hope they are not hostile, like movies that depict it.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
     If extraterrestrial visitations are true, I just hope they are not hostile, like movies that depict it.

Whenever different civilizations in history came into contact, it always turned out well for the less developed race, eh?

There have been ancient paintings discovered that depicted beings in rocket ships.
    Do you have a link?

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,155 Senior Member
    Hell, even Ezekiel saw “a wheel within a wheel” circled with fire that “lifted people up” while he was in captivity in Babylon.

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    There have been ancient paintings discovered that depicted beings in rocket ships. It doesn't convince me or dissuade me either. If extraterrestrial visitations are true, I just hope they are not hostile, like movies that depict it.
    Yeah, I'd like to see a link as well.  There are ancient paintings/carvings that UFO enthusiasts have SAID are rocket ships, but none I've seen looks anything like a rocket ship as we know them.  "Ancient Aliens" on Friday on the once-valid History Channel isn't a good source for actual history.  A lot of True Believers discount the astounding achievements of our ancestors, insisting the pyramids were created with help from aliens, for some reason that is undisclosed.  We as humans have done some remarkable things.
    Gene L said:
    Yeah, I'd like to see a link as well.  There are ancient paintings/carvings that UFO enthusiasts have SAID are rocket ships, but none I've seen looks anything like a rocket ship as we know them.
    May have been a quick sketch.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    Y'all should not be talking about this stuff, a good probin' is headed your way. :#
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Y'all should not be talking about this stuff, a good probin' is headed your way. :#

Bring it on big boy.

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 544 Senior Member
    Some scientists also theorize that the laws of physics may be different throughout the universe. So what doesn't make sense here to us may work differently elsewhere. And for all we know, we may be close to developing or discovering a new element that could indeed make time travel possible. I find it odd that there was such an increase in UFO sightings once we reached the atomic age. If you really want some insight, read and study what the Sumerian  people said about the beginning of life on earth.
    edited August 26 #26
    I have a strange theory about UFO's. I honestly think it's "us" from the future coming back to get an idea of the past.

proof, if proof be needed.

But then again.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member
    I've always thought the notion of worm holes fascinating.  I don't understand much about them, or if they even exist.  My understanding is that it's like a black hole with an exit point.  You enter, and instantaneously travel to some place very far away, perhaps even millions of light years away.

Can you imagine that?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited August 26 #28
    I've always thought the notion of worm holes of  fascinating. 

Can you imagine that?

You go first, then come back and tell us all about it.
    I am sure someone will hold your medication.  :p

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 5,811 Senior Member
    Some scientists also theorize that the laws of physics may be different throughout the universe. So what doesn't make sense here to us may work differently elsewhere. And for all we know, we may be close to developing or discovering a new element that could indeed make time travel possible. I find it odd that there was such an increase in UFO sightings once we reached the atomic age. If you really want some insight, read and study what the Sumerian  people said about the beginning of life on earth.
    There are several theories and observation using images from the edges of the known universe that seem to suggest that the speed of light is NOT a constant and that it has been slowing down (or might be actually infinite) since the day of the Big Bang.  It actually made a lot of sense and explains a lot of things that make no sense if the speed of light is truly constant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light#Modern_VSL_theories_as_an_alternative_to_cosmic_inflation

BTW I don't know if you guys remember that a few decades back there were multiple sightings of UFOs in the New York Hudson Valley Region.  My buddy and I actually saw it first hand.  We were on his boat at night running down the river and it was wild!!!  The darn V formation was flying right above us with a bunch of little firefly type things buzzing around it.

We actually called the Coast Guard on the radio and the guy we contacted talked us out of doing a report on it.  Pretty much said "How much time do you really want to dedicate to this because a LOT of folks will be really interested in you guys and will want to talk to you."  That ended the conversation real quick.
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson have some unique theories about the Sumerian as well as the archeological site of Gobekli Tepe and the Younger Dryas Event. Graham's book, "Magicians of the Gods" is some fascinating reading. 
    zorba said:
    zorba said:
    That's the problem. They're not "zipping", and they're not manned. It takes centuries to travel to the nearest star, "Star Trek" isn't reality. Then there's the time dimension. To have visitors from another star system means that 1) FTL (or near light speed from a VERY close star) travel must be possible - maybe it is, probably it isn't. 2) The visitors must actually *exist* in the same period of time as we're occupying, and 3) There would have to be something here to attract visitors - the universe is incomprehensibly HUGE in both time and space.
    I put the whole thing down in the same category as I do so-called "Biblical Archaeology". A lot of wishful thinking, "we're *this* close!", and force fitting facts to fit a desired theory. I'm willing to change my mind when and *IF* incontrovertible proof is forthcoming (about either!), but until then, I give it little credence.
    As one of the characters says in a favorite, yet VERY bad sci-fi movie, "Yes, yes, yes, yes. Perhaps the core is made of cheese..."
    You completely missed my point, Zorba. "Zipping" or a 'turtles pace' is irrelevant. Manned or un-manned, we are now an interstellar species living on a 'pale blue dot' in a galaxy made up of hundreds of billions of stars. Whether it's "Biblical Archeology" or possible alien civilizations, one must observe such things with an objective mind and not personal prejudices.