Home Main Category Clubhouse

UFOs

13»

Replies

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member
    Although I live in Colorado, the absolute best view of the stars I've ever seen was at Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimmarron, NM.  That was a sight to behold.

Ever since I moved to Colorado, I've vowed to spend the night in the bed of my truck 150 miles east of town on the high plains, just to star gaze. I've not done it yet, but it's an easily achievable bucket list thing I really need to cross off. I've just gotta get around to doing it.

Mike
    Mike, there's a boy scout camp in the mountains where I killed my elk.  It's further south, near San Isabel, and probably about 9k ft. in elevation.  The night sky from there is absolutely awesome.  There are lots of forest service and county roads in that area that a person can get to easily.  If you ever get the chance, check it out for night sky viewing.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,672 Senior Member
    AlleyCat said:
     If extraterrestrial visitations are true, I just hope they are not hostile, like movies that depict it.
    There have been ancient paintings discovered that depicted beings in rocket ships.
    Do you have a link?

I didn't get this from the internet. It's from books and TV shows over the years. Maybe "rocket ships" were not exactly accurate. I found some links by googling "ancient aliens painted on walls of caves." Here's one link I found very interesting.... https://ancestryofman.com/alien-ufo-ancient-art/

JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 364 Member
    AlleyCat said:
     If extraterrestrial visitations are true, I just hope they are not hostile, like movies that depict it.
    There have been ancient paintings discovered that depicted beings in rocket ships.
    Do you have a link?

Here's one link I found very interesting.... https://ancestryofman.com/alien-ufo-ancient-art/

None of these depictions are mentioned in the gospels or the old testament, historical documents.

But the artists have captured the reality, some years after the event.

UFO's and space travelers?

No, just a time machine, that's all they needed.

I just hope you don't find any fault with the cutlery place setting of the last supper, Da Vinci was on the spot that night.

Are you really being serious here?
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    AlleyCat said:
    Do you have a link?

I didn't get this from the internet. It's from books and TV shows over the years. Maybe "rocket ships" were not exactly accurate. I found some links by googling "ancient aliens painted on walls of caves." Here's one link I found very interesting.... https://ancestryofman.com/alien-ufo-ancient-art/

Oh come on! Don't cha know that we humans are at the pinnacle of technology and that we're the only space faring species in a galaxy made up of 300 billion stars? ... sarcasm.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    The interpretation by some of these works of art as Aliens must be interpretations since 1947 (Roswell) or so.  Before then, the idea of "saucers" and aliens was pretty much unheard of, but sensational journalism and TV have contributed to unlikely interpretations.  That's almost 75 years ago, based on 75 year knowledge...nothing more modern has played into evaluating saucers/spacemen since.  Just think how they will be interpreted 75years from now.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    Gene L said:
      Just think how they will be interpreted 75years from now.

They will be back by then Gene.

A subfossil (bone that has not been fully fossilized) Dodo skeleton and a reconstructed model of the extinct bird in a museum in Wales circa 1938.Becker, Fox Photos/Getty Images

Asking where there lost away team are.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    Although I live in Colorado, the absolute best view of the stars I've ever seen was at Philmont Scout Ranch near Cimmarron, NM.  That was a sight to behold.

Ever since I moved to Colorado, I've vowed to spend the night in the bed of my truck 150 miles east of town on the high plains, just to star gaze. I've not done it yet, but it's an easily achievable bucket list thing I really need to cross off. I've just gotta get around to doing it.

Mike
    Mike, there's a boy scout camp in the mountains where I killed my elk.  It's further south, near San Isabel, and probably about 9k ft. in elevation.  The night sky from there is absolutely awesome.  There are lots of forest service and county roads in that area that a person can get to easily.  If you ever get the chance, check it out for night sky viewing.
    Thanks for that, Jerry. I was actually thinking of spending a night out by Wilma's place,(zero lights out there), but yours is a lot closer.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull

Mike
    Thanks for that, Jerry. I was actually thinking of spending a night out by Wilma's place,(zero lights out there), but yours is a lot closer.

Mike
    And a lot prettier, in my estimation.
    Jerry

I suspect you're right. OTOH, 9K is the mountains. What's the chances of encountering mountain men, pumas, bears, marmots, etc. after dark? Or toilets, for that matter. I've become accustomed to life in the big city.  ;)  

Mike
    N454casull
    BTW.....did I tell you I work with Wilmas grand-daughter in law?

Mike
    N454casull
  • X104RFASTX104RFAST Posts: 13 New Member
    BTW.....did I tell you I work with Wilmas grand-daughter in law?

Mike
    No, you didn't.  I'll bet she's a real "down to earth" sort.  Wilma is good people.
    Jerry

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    The last time I saw a UFO, it scared me so much I dropped my bottle of wine.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 776 Senior Member
    AlleyCat said:
    ilove22s said:
    I wondered how tiny our solar system was inside that tiny dot.

It sort of drive home the vastness of it.

When i first saw the Milkey Way, i thought it was clouds.   Then realized what it was.  

It still blows my mind knowing each star is probably a solar system/galaxy like ours.  

when i saw my first galaxy in my telescope, i was in awe.  Again, a Galaxy with how many stars.

it would be so easy to get lost in thought about whats out there and the possibilities.  

Same here. What blows me away is that our own star is so close that it brings us light and heat during the day, while at night, each one of those points of light are stars so far away they cannot bring light and heat on the scale of our Sun. Some of those stars are so big that if they were in place of our Sun their surface would reach out to the orbit of Jupiter! Really gives a perspective on the insane distance of those stars as compared to our Sun which is a mere 8 light minutes away. I remember reading that it would take Voyager 1, traveling at 38,000 mph, something like 70,000 years to reach the nearest star. 

With speed of light, we are actually looking into the past.

Many of those pinpricks of light no longer exist.

I know, right!? 
    Think about this.  It's sort of related to distances between bodies in the universe, and sort of not.

Look at the structure of an atom.  The distance between the nuclei and orbiting particles may seem small, but in relation the size of the particles, it's enormous.  There' a LOT of empty space in an atom, same as there is a LOT of empty space in the universe.

Just something to think about, and perhaps derail this thread even further.

When I think of the structure of an atom like this, it seems to me that EVERYTHING is nothing but empty space.
    Jerry

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    edited September 2 #77

Look at the structure of an atom.  The distance between the nuclei and orbiting particles may seem small, but in relation the size of the particles, it's enormous.  There' a LOT of empty space in an atom, same as there is a LOT of empty space in the universe.

When I think of the structure of an atom like this, it seems to me that EVERYTHING is nothing but empty space.

Most of it is...

I watched a program where a scientist put it in perspective this way. If you placed a grain of rice in the middle of a baseball stadium field (somewhere around pitchers mound) and a barely visible grain of sand was orbiting around it, that grain of sand would be up in the rafters! Since an electron carries a negative charge and a proton carries a positive charge the electron wants to spiral down into the proton and the atom would collapse... We would cease to exist. Lucky for us we have a thing called the Strong force that prevents that from happening (like magic.

As for UFOs, sure why not. Too many folks get hung up on their understanding of physics (remember, physics describes).
    Did you know that prior to going to the moon, nearly all of Earth's scientists said it would be impossible to make the journey and they "proved" it mathematically. And their models were correct but they had made the wrong assumption from the start. They assumed a single stage rocket 🚀 that would take off from earth, break free from Earth's gravity, journey to the moon, land, then take off again, return to earth, turn around and slow down and finally make a gentle landing back on earth. Impossible with all known propellants we have. The rocket would be impossibly large.
    As "Everyone" knows today, that's not how you get to the moon! The real question becomes, "what assumptions are we making wrong?"
    I always find it amusing when someone says, "That defies the laws of this or that." Nothing defies the laws of Nature,... just our understanding of those laws. We don't know everything so how can we make such far reaching statements?
    So for me, the UFO question is still an open book because I don't know but at least I know that I don't know. 🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

edited September 2 #78
     it seems to me that EVERYTHING is nothing but empty space.

Except for just a few close neighbors,eh?

This is the gravitational “shockwave” that spread out from the biggest merger yet observed between two black holes.

The distance to the merger was calculated to be the equivalent of 150 billion trillion km.

“It’s astounding, really,” said Prof Nelson Christensen from the Côte d’Azur Observatory in France. “This signal propagated for seven billion years. So this event happened ‘just before halftime’ for the Universe, and now it’s mechanically moved our detectors here on Earth,”

https://www.ligo.org/news/index.php#GW190521
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 545 Senior Member
    What trips me out is that a grain of sand is composed of more atoms than there are grains of sand in the world, and there's more planetary bodies than all of the atoms that make up those grains of sand.
    What trips me out is that a grain of sand is composed of more atoms than there are grains of sand in the world...
    Wow! is this really true????
    N454casull
  • JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 545 Senior Member
    edited September 3 #81
    What trips me out is that a grain of sand is composed of more atoms than there are grains of sand in the world...
    Wow! is this really true????
    Yep. Thats mind blowing to me.
    Yep. Prompted me to do a bit of in-depth googling. I am mind-blown....still staggering from it.

Mike
    N454casull
    I thought you were going to count them.  Oh well...
    Jerry

I thought you were going to count them.  Oh well...
    Nope, I was going to watch them. I don't think I could count them because I learned to count via the "99 bottles of beer on the wall" method and never progressed past 99.

Mike
    N454casull
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    If I were an alien traveling past Earth I'd roll up the windows, lock the doors, and punch the accelerator..................unless I wanted to sneak in and get some good Texas smoked brisket. That would be worth the risk.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 455 Member
    tennmike said:
    If I were an alien traveling past Earth I'd roll up the windows, lock the doors, and punch the accelerator..........

• dlddld Member Posts: 412 Member
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    edited September 10 #88
    Got a bottle of rot gut and some week of pastrami sammiches out of the frig.
    Gonna see me some UAP tonight.
    Or maybe just swamp gas over Venus.
    🤣
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain