Home Main Category Hunting

Northern Iowa Pheasant Hunt

JaphyJaphy Posts: 68 Member
Canned my Missouri deer hunt in lieu of 5 days in North central Iowa for some serious pheasant hunting. Old friends, good dogs, lots of flat farm land, starts Halloween day. Any bird hunters here?

Replies

• Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Yes, sir.  I’m an avid upland hunter myself.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,100 Senior Member
    Yep...older and without a dog though...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,951 Senior Member
    Might be in SD this year again, we do have birds locally to.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Japhy said:
    Canned my Missouri deer hunt in lieu of 5 days in North central Iowa for some serious pheasant hunting. Old friends, good dogs, lots of flat farm land, starts Halloween day. Any bird hunters here?

Dont forget to take your camera. I for one thrive on seeing pics of terrain, bird dogs and hunters having been an avid waterfowl and Upland game hunter for well over 50yrs........

Hot barrels and good hunting.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • JunkCollectorJunkCollector Posts: 613 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    You are never without a dog.
    You carry them with you for life.

I will be out in October here more interested in getting my son going and forming an attachment with a gun I wish I'd of found much earlier.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,148 Senior Member
    Details man............details damnit..........
    Jayhawker said:
    You are never without a dog.
    You carry them with you for life.

I will be out in October here more interested in getting my son going and forming an attachment with a gun I wish I'd of found much earlier.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,152 Senior Member
    Our first upland season (prairie chicken/sharptail grouse) opened Sept 1, but it’s WAY to hot for the dogs.  Mid-month is looking much better to do it right and get pups out.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,549 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    Japhy said:

Dont forget to take your camera. I for one thrive on seeing pics of terrain, bird dogs and hunters having been an avid waterfowl and Upland game hunter for well over 50yrs........

Hot barrels and good hunting.
    What this guy said!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,549 Senior Member
    I honestly have hunted nothing but quail behind a dog. And that.......when I was but a lad. 
    I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to have a few dogs and a field full of pheasant. 
    😢
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JaphyJaphy Posts: 68 Member
    Zee said:
    I honestly have hunted nothing but quail behind a dog. And that.......when I was but a lad. 
    I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to have a few dogs and a field full of pheasant. 
    😢
    It’s been awhile for me as well. Some dogs have been great and others well I cannot bring myself to speak I’ll of any dog. 
    we are going with 2 britneys, sisters from the same litter now 4 yrs old. Reports are good We will see.
    nothing like seeing a dog frozen on birds then do that step step step right with you until they flush. It always amazes me that every dog seems to have their own unique posture. 
    Lots of gambles quail in AZ but I would never take a dog through the cactus and thorny scrub here. Bird hunts are one of the very few things I dearly miss. 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,263 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    😢
    Once in my life (3 days) I hunted Kansas fields chock-full of pheasant behind 2 fantastic bird dogs. With the possible exception of a couple antelope and elk hunts with JerryBobCo.....those have gotta be the most memorable of all.

Treat yourself if you can.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    not to sidetrack Luis' thread, but what I have to add here isn't worth starting a new one.

There are about 12k acres of public land near where I live.  Most of it surrounds 3 lakes, but some borders crop land.  So, I went out Saturday afternoon to see if I could find some doves.

Let me tell you.  There were birds everywhere I looked.  The only problem is that 99.9% of them were swallows.  There was also one very busy hawk looking for supper.  I heard a little shooting, and saw some guys nearby drop a few, but the only one I had a chance at one was out of range before I noticed it (it came in from behind me).  I'll probably try again later this year.  It was better than sitting at home.

One last thing.  When doves need to up their game on aerial acrobatics, they take lessons from swallows.  If it had been swallow season, I could have shot until my eyes bled and still come home empty handed.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,121 Senior Member
    Crap.  Just realized I side tracked the wrong thread.  My apologies.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.