Home Main Category Clubhouse

Bisley?

AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 386 Member

The person not the revolver.

He always had interesting comments and viewpoints.

He just sort of disappeared.

Anyone have contact, just to wish him well.

Replies

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    I too enjoyed reading his commentary. 
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 846 Senior Member
    I always enjoy his posts and the thought that goes into them.
    He's one of the very few people whose political posts I find worth reading.
    Hope he's ok.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    I wonder the same.  I always enjoyed reading his posts, as they were well thought out and well stated.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,927 Senior Member
    He was here not to long ago, poke him with private message, he will get back to you, he was doing fine last time I poked him.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,757 Senior Member
    There was a lot of insight that went into his posts. I always enjoyed reading what he had to say.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 386 Member
    edited September 2020 #7
    CHIRO1989 said:
    He was here not to long ago, poke him with private message, he will get back to you, he was doing fine last time I poked him.

Having problems with the sites private messaging, very hit and miss.
    Can receive a reply but then unable respond, it is what it is.
    He may see the post and decide to chip in

Huh, I have not experienced any problems before, I guess I need to private message more.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,879 Senior Member
    He's extremely good at clearly articulating his points. Never have I regretted reading them. Even the one's I disagreed with were thought provoking.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    I heard from him recently. He's lost a lot of weight and has been busy IRL. He said he hadn't checked in in a while when he saw my PM
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Thanks for asking, folks - I'm fine. I've just redirected my priorities towards 'real life.' The political stuff is just too frustrating, and I am finally attending to small things that I've been letting slide for years. I still hold strong opinions, but I no longer try to convince the entrenched lefties, and everybody else is smart enough to work things out for themselves.

As knitepoet mentioned, I've lost 135 pounds, and I can actually work again, so I do. I do think about the fine folks here quite a bit, but I just don't have anything to add to most of the conversations. I was never a gun expert - just a fairly experienced 'enthusiast,' so I try to listen more than talk on that subject.

I may re-engage someday, but right now, I'm just taking care of my own business
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    Wishing the best Bisley.  As we age we find that it is the little things that can mean the most after being distracted by the chaos of careers and another's agenda.   Glad you are healthier and enjoying life more.  I found your input valuable most of the time as it came from your heart.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,297 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #13
    How did you lose the weight?  Did you do a plan, or was it just “eat less and excercise?”
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,310 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    Thanks for asking, folks - I'm fine. I've just redirected my priorities towards 'real life.' The political stuff is just too frustrating, and I am finally attending to small things that I've been letting slide for years. I still hold strong opinions, but I no longer try to convince the entrenched lefties, and everybody else is smart enough to work things out for themselves.

As knitepoet mentioned, I've lost 135 pounds, and I can actually work again, so I do. I do think about the fine folks here quite a bit, but I just don't have anything to add to most of the conversations. I was never a gun expert - just a fairly experienced 'enthusiast,' so I try to listen more than talk on that subject.

I may re-engage someday, but right now, I'm just taking care of my own business
    Glad you are well and congratulations on your weight loss!  That is impressive!!!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

How did you lose the weight?  Did you do a plan, or was it just “eat less and excercise?”

I had gastric sleeve surgery - basically removal of 80% of my stomach. Unlike the earlier gastric by-pass surgery that I researched and refused years before, the gastric sleeve surgery is irreversible. When you finally commit to having the gastric sleeve surgery, you are quite determined to make it worthwhile. Now, two years down the road, I believe that it has probably added years of productivity to my life, and I still enjoy eating and cooking as much as I ever did - I just have a 'child's plate' now, instead of enough meat and potatoes to choke a large hog. It is basically just a forced moderation to your eating habits, with the only real lifestyle difference being that I can now get tight on two beers, instead of two six-packs - not a biggie for me, since I rarely drink, anyway.

At age 69, I take zero meds, except for those rare occasions when I do eat too much and have to take a single omeprazole (over-the-counter Prilosec) tablet. I am never sick, and the nearest thing to a health problem I have is a sore back and joints, or sore muscles, from working too hard. I was a very active and fit person until about age 55, until I quit doing field work and sat down behind a computer. I feel like I did when I was very active, but of course, age and several years of reduced exercise has diminished my stamina quite a bit. It takes me a week to what I could do in a day in years past, but I'm retired, so I just keep plugging away until I get done, and don't worry about the time it took.

I highly recommend it for folks who have repeatedly dieted successfully, but then eventually gained it back, plus more. At a certain age, a diet just won't solve the problem, for some folks, no matter how strong their will power is - at least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,925 Senior Member
    I've missed your very well thought out and sensible post. Congrats on your weight loss!! It's a life style change and not easy when you get up toward seven digit decades!!  B)
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,138 Senior Member
    Congratulations Bis, I thought I did well losing 50 and keeping 45 of it off.
    Your loss is monumental compared to mine.  Again, Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 said:
    Congratulations Bis, I thought I did well losing 50 and keeping 45 of it off.
    Your loss is monumental compared to mine.  Again, Congrats
    You did do well.

I lost 75 lbs a few years ago, but backslid over the holidays, and gained it all back and a lot more over about a one year period. I never succeeded with a diet, after that.

Good luck keeping it off.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    You lost an entire Linefinder and his wet clothes, Dang!!!
    :D

More than I've ever done, Congrats.👍
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• JustsomedudeJustsomedude Posts: 607 Senior Member
    Congrats on the weight loss. That's not an easy task by any means. I recall a statistic of the sort that stated something along the lines of food addiction being harder to break than hard drugs, but im not sure if that's true or not. I actually have a friend that is almost 700lbs. And no, that wasn't a typo. He gets around surprisingly well for his size and he's as strong as an ox but I worry about his overall health if he keeps going the way he is but he loves eating and a snack to him is more than a meal to me. Its also a catch 22 for him because his Dr wants him to do some form of weight loss surgery but he has to lose so much weight before they'll operate on him and he doesn't seem to have the willpower to do it. Its a bad deal all around.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    edited October 2020 #21
    Spk said:

Truth there. I went into bootcamp at 129 lbs. Kind of small for a Marine, but I got through, and 16 weeks later, at 160 lbs, things moved when I pushed them and I even left bootprints in dry ground. Good times!

4 months later....145. I maintained that weight for some time. Even got back to 155 shortly after marrying a great cook. But...CA........I dropped 15 in a week.

I'm embarressed when I step on the scales at the docs office. Still trying to hit 145, but they always pet my head and say I have a fantastic BMI. :)

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    ...but he has to lose so much weight before they'll operate on him and he doesn't seem to have the willpower to do it. Its a bad deal all around.
    That is deal breaker for a lot of folks who need it the most. Fat people have fatty livers that have to be shrunk by conventional dieting because it has to be physically flipped over and out of the way to get at the stomach. Sometimes they even remove the gall bladder for the same reason, if it has stones.

I lost 30 lbs before the surgery, to shrink my liver. However, the surgery is actually pretty easy for the patient, if the liver and gall bladder are normal.

I spent one night in the hospital, was off of pain meds in about twelve hours, and was back home eating jello and thick soup, the next day. I was eating soft food in two weeks, and meat and potatoes, within a month. Other than age, I was the perfect candidate for the procedure, and my general good health compensated for that.

Your friend sounds like a high functioning fat guy, so he might do well if he could diet for a month, in preparation.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Spk said:

I'm embarressed when I step on the scales at the docs office. Still trying to hit 145, but they always pet my head and say I have a fantastic BMI. :)

Mike
    Wow.....I can't even remember 145, probably was in Elementary School.  I am down 30 pounds from my heaviest and still have a hundred pounds on you.  But I am 6'4" so there is that..... If I had what they call a good BMI I would look like a walking stick.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,111 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Truth there. I went into bootcamp at 129 lbs. Kind of small for a Marine, but I got through, and 16 weeks later, at 160 lbs, things moved when I pushed them and I even left bootprints in dry ground. Good times!

4 months later....145. I maintained that weight for some time. Even got back to 155 shortly after marrying a great cook. But...CA........I dropped 15 in a week.

Mike
    That's a sword that cuts both ways.  I wish I had your problem.  Mine's just the opposite.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,066 Senior Member
    Mike, you're ahead of the game during the zombie apocalypse.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,250 Senior Member
    Spk said:

Mike
    Wow.....I can't even remember 145, probably was in Elementary School.  I am down 30 pounds from my heaviest and still have a hundred pounds on you.  But I am 6'4" so there is that..... If I had what they call a good BMI I would look like a walking stick.

Scootertrash was 6'4" and weighed 170. He was a veritable walking stick.

I once worked with a guy we called "Slim". 6'-7", and while I don't know what he weighed, I'd guess not much more than 160...maybe 170. He looked like someone emerging from a Nazi death camp, but tough as nails and strong as an ox.

Another guy I worked with, recently departed, was 6'3" and 315.....not an ounce of fat. Most good-natured guy I've ever met and I commented on that one day. He told me, "Up until about 10th grade, I had a pretty good temper. Once I reached size, I realized being a Black man, I'd likely do time for murder if I didn't get this under control and slapped somebody. I spent 22 years in the US Army and I don't want to fight anybody anymore. I'm living my life on the happy side now."

Great advice, and another good one gone way too soon.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Likely because of my size I have been fortunate to not ever have to fight anybody....and I do not have any desire to do so.  I just hope nobody ever mistakes my lack of desire to fight with a lack of willingness to fight if necessary....
    I can pretty much get along with anybody as long as they don't threaten me or mine.
    Likely because of my size I have been fortunate to not ever have to fight anybody....and I do not have any desire to do so.  I just hope nobody ever mistakes my lack of desire to fight with a lack of willingness to fight if necessary....
    I can pretty much get along with anybody as long as they don't threaten me or mine.
    Meh, back in the day, some people needed to be punched, a lot. Can't these days if you want to keep your stuff and finish raising your kids ;) .
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,196 Senior Member
    bisley said:

I had gastric sleeve surgery - basically removal of 80% of my stomach. Unlike the earlier gastric by-pass surgery that I researched and refused years before, the gastric sleeve surgery is irreversible. When you finally commit to having the gastric sleeve surgery, you are quite determined to make it worthwhile. Now, two years down the road, I believe that it has probably added years of productivity to my life, and I still enjoy eating and cooking as much as I ever did - I just have a 'child's plate' now, instead of enough meat and potatoes to choke a large hog. It is basically just a forced moderation to your eating habits, with the only real lifestyle difference being that I can now get tight on two beers, instead of two six-packs - not a biggie for me, since I rarely drink, anyway.

At age 69, I take zero meds, except for those rare occasions when I do eat too much and have to take a single omeprazole (over-the-counter Prilosec) tablet. I am never sick, and the nearest thing to a health problem I have is a sore back and joints, or sore muscles, from working too hard. I was a very active and fit person until about age 55, until I quit doing field work and sat down behind a computer. I feel like I did when I was very active, but of course, age and several years of reduced exercise has diminished my stamina quite a bit. It takes me a week to what I could do in a day in years past, but I'm retired, so I just keep plugging away until I get done, and don't worry about the time it took.

I highly recommend it for folks who have repeatedly dieted successfully, but then eventually gained it back, plus more. At a certain age, a diet just won't solve the problem, for some folks, no matter how strong their will power is - at least, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I had  the same operation back in 1997, lost 100 lbs and have managed to keep it off.  Uncle Sam's chart says I'm supposed to weigh 150-155 lbs, and I weigh 151.  I can live with that.  One hell of a lifestyle change, though, as you said.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."