Home Main Category Clubhouse

Started watching Lonesome Dove last night

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 8,193 Senior Member
again.  

We watched the first segment.  It ended with the Irish kid being bitten and killed by water mocassins while crossing the Nueces River.

If you have watched this, read about Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving.  They blazed the Goodnight Loving trail that was used to drive cattle from central Texas, through west Texas, New Mexico and into Colorado.  I think that Larry McMurtry borrowed a lot of this piece of fiction from true events that happened to these two men.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

• GunNutGunNut Posts: 6,931 Senior Member
    One of my favorite shows to watch over and over again.  Once I even binge watched the whole thing in ONE day.  Thanks for reminding me.  I think we are overdue for another run!
    Old West Saying: God created men, but Col. Sam Colt made them equal.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

• JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    Definitely one of the best ever. About time for me to start it up again. 

Some of the Lonesome Dove movies that came out afterward are decent. Definitely can not live up to the original. I was never a huge fan of the Return to Lonesome Dove. Comanche Moon was probably my favorite of the follow ups. Prequel to Lonesome Dove when Call and Gus were Texas Rangers. Val Kilmer is in it. Not a bad show.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,193 Senior Member
    Here's some info on Oliver Loving and Charles Goodnight.  Very similar story to that in Lonesome Dove.

Also, McMurtry's Streets of Laredo is one of my favorites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Loving

Here's the description of how Oliver Loving died.

Death[edit]

In the spring of 1867, Loving and Goodnight returned to Texas, ready to start a new drive.[1][3] This third drive was slowed by heavy rains and Native American threats. Loving went ahead of the herd for contract bidding, taking only Bill Wilson, a trusted scout, with him.[3] Although he told Goodnight that he should travel at night through Native American Indian country, he pushed ahead during the day.[3] In a Comanche attack, he was seriously wounded at Loving Bend on the Pecos River.[3][4] The weakened Loving sent Wilson back to the herd, eluded the Indians, and, with the aid of Mexican traders, reached Fort Sumner, only to die there of gangrene.[1] Before he died on September 25, 1867, Goodnight assured him that his wish to be buried in Texas would be carried out.[3][4] After a temporary burial at Fort Sumner, while Goodnight drove the herd on to Colorado, Goodnight had Loving's body exhumed and returned to Texas.[3] Stories differ as to who accompanied the body back to Weatherford, but he was reburied there in Greenwood Cemetery on March 4, 1868.[3][4] As a member of Phoenix Lodge No. 275 at Weatherford, Loving was buried with Masonic honors.[5]

Jerry

• DrawbarFlatsDrawbarFlats Posts: 788 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Probably one of the best western ever made....
    Pfft... Blazing Saddles 
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,365 Senior Member
    We watch it a couple times a year. We've watched it so many times that when Machell is making any bean dish I refer to them as "Mexican strawberries".

I read a recent interview with Robert Duvall in which he said his role as Gus was his favorite role that he ever played. That sure showed. You could tell that role was just made for him.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
    And, Jerry, you're absolutely right. I made the connection between Loving/Goodnight and Lonesome Dove a couple decades ago. The similarities are too frequent and historically accurate to be mere coincidence.

Mike
    N454casull
    And, Jerry, you're absolutely right. I made the connection between Loving/Goodnight and Lonesome Dove a couple decades ago. The similarities are too frequent and historically accurate to be mere coincidence.

Mike
    Once you now the history of Goodnight and Loving, and watch Lonesome Dove, it's pretty apparent.  I just never thought to look into GL's history until a few years ago.
    Jerry

• TwinkleTwinkle Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 2020 #10
    Simply the best Western ever!  Everything that Larry McMurtry ever wrote was great, had wonderful characters.  The casting of Lonesome Dove is a masterwork in itself!
    I only have it on VHS and I need to get it in a more modern format.  Thanks for the reminder.
    Edit: Only $35 on DVD on Amazon!  Ordered!
    Twinkle said:
    Simply the best Western ever!  Everything that Larry McMurtry ever wrote was great, had wonderful characters.  The casting of Lonesome Dove is a masterwork in itself!
    I only have it on VHS and I need to get it in a more modern format.  Thanks for the reminder.
    Get ROKU or some other streaming device, and get a subscription to Amazon Prime.  You can get it as part of your subscription, plus other shows and movies.

Jerry

Twinkle said:
    Get ROKU or some other streaming device, and get a subscription to Amazon Prime.  You can get it as part of your subscription, plus other shows and movies.

I might consider that.  thanks.  I'm about done with watching TV and need to dump the expensive cable.

Twinkle said:
    Twinkle said:

I might consider that.  thanks.  I'm about done with watching TV and need to dump the expensive cable.

That's worthy of a thread of it's own. I'm really tired of paying $250 a month for the half dozen channels we actually watch. OTOH, I don't want to watch movies on my Chromebook.

Any tips.....anybody?

Mike
    N454casull
    Mike, we don't pay anywhere near that much for cable, and there's different packages you can get.  Perhaps you should start by looking at the package you're buying.

ROKU adapters are less than $100, and allow you to access Netflix, Amazon Prime and a host of other subscription streaming channels.  We have several, and it's not all that much.
    Jerry

• AlleyCatAlleyCat Posts: 470 Member
    again.  

We watched the first segment.

"I hate rude behavior in a man."

“Ain’t much of a crime, whackin’ a surly bartender.”

“They don’t know it, but the wrath of the Lord is about to descend on ‘em.”

The best scenes ever.

AlleyCat said:
    again.  

We watched the first segment.

"I hate rude behavior in a man."

“Ain’t much of a crime, whackin’ a surly bartender.”

“They don’t know it, but the wrath of the Lord is about to descend on ‘em.”

The best scenes ever.

"A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke don't want one bad enough".

Twinkle said:
    Twinkle said:

That's worthy of a thread of it's own. I'm really tired of paying $250 a month for the half dozen channels we actually watch. OTOH, I don't want to watch movies on my Chromebook.

Any tips.....anybody?

Mike
    Yep, Prime, Netflix, Hulu and Fox nation.  Done...  If you ever run out of things to watch you are my hero.  We're finally cutting the cable this month.  I have 1Gig internet service over fiber.

General George Patton:  “Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.”

Ok. How do you get that without Comcast as a basic ISP?
    N454casull
    Do they provide you internet access?  Then just buy Internet service from them, NOT the bundle.  Then sign up for the streaming services directly.  BTW all of them offer monthly subscription to all the Premium channels.  When there is something good to watch on HBO, Cinemax, etc, we turn the channel on for a moth, binge watch whatever we wanted to watch and turn it off.  Many of the good shows from those Premium channels will get release on Netflix, Hulu and prime in time anyway.

My "saved" to watch lists on the streaming services are so long I'll be long dead and never get to all of the shows/movies I've put in there.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    Excellent author. The other books in the series are outstanding. Movie did a fine job with the story.
    I think one of the big reasons (besides great casting, location, technical/historical accuracy and directing) it was so good is that they did the book justice by making it into a mini-series.  Many great books have been ruined as movies trying to compress a fantastic long plot into 2 hours.

GunNut said:
    Do they provide you internet access?  Then just buy Internet service from them, NOT the bundle.  Then sign up for the streaming services directly.  BTW all of them offer monthly subscription to all the Premium channels.  When there is something good to watch on HBO, Cinemax, etc, we turn the channel on for a moth, binge watch whatever we wanted to watch and turn it off.  Many of the good shows from those Premium channels will get release on Netflix, Hulu and prime in time anyway.

My "saved" to watch lists on the streaming services are so long I'll be long dead and never get to all of the shows/movies I've put in there.
    Did a little research on this. Comcast (I hate them) offers "internet-only" service to new subscribers only. If you are an existing customer who is subscribed to one of their "bundle" plans (I am),  downgrading is not an option in my area.

I'm thinking of cancelling ComCast entirely, returning their equipment, and starting from scratch with CenturyLink internet/wifi only.

Decent plan? I'm really tired of $250 a month when we have Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime and watch ComCast purely for the local channels. I can get more up to date news and weather via the internet.

Mike
    N454casull
    GunNut said:

Did a little research on this. Comcast (I hate them) offers "internet-only" service to new subscribers only. If you are an existing customer who is subscribed to one of their "bundle" plans (I am),  downgrading is not an option in my area.

I'm thinking of cancelling ComCast entirely, returning their equipment, and starting from scratch with CenturyLink internet/wifi only.

Decent plan? I'm really tired of $250 a month when we have Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime and watch ComCast purely for the local channels. I can get more up to date news and weather via the internet.

Mike
    Pretty much what we are doing.  We even tried the streaming service for local TV and it sucked so we’re cancelling that too.  No point, it’s all rehashed crap.

The only reason we have cable is for Fox News, which my wife watches all the time.  Fortunately, it includes a few other channels we occasionally watch, provides internet via wifi, and only cost about $80/month.  The wifi could be better, but it suffices.

Mike, I think your plan is a good one.
    Jerry

We sort of paced ourselves on this, and didn't finish it until last night.  I now have a couple of very obvious observations.  Keep in mind this is at least my second watching of this mini-series.

First, the Blue Duck character had to be based on Quanah Parker.  Both were comanche / caucasion half breeds who terrorized Texas.  The big difference is that Parker eventually realized his was of life was doomed, surrendered, and became an upstanding member of the reservation in Oklahoma.

Second, as great a writer as McMurtry is, he writes the saddest endings.  After watching the last episode, I felt bad for all of the characters, most of which were dead.  if you read Streets of Laredo (spoiler alert), which is a sequel to Dove, you will discover that Newt did not fare well.

That's all.
    Jerry

The only reason we have cable is for Fox News, which my wife watches all the time.  Fortunately, it includes a few other channels we occasionally watch, provides internet via wifi, and only cost about $80/month.  The wifi could be better, but it suffices.

I’m starting to wean myself from Fox News.  It is the exact same news show 10 times a day.  The Prime time shows are decent entertainment but the format is getting old too.  I’m going to get a subscription to Fox Nation where at least the shows have a high production value and there’s a variety of them

We sort of paced ourselves on this, and didn't finish it until last night.  I now have a couple of very obvious observations.  Keep in mind this is at least my second watching of this mini-series.

First, the Blue Duck character had to be based on Quanah Parker.  Both were comanche / caucasion half breeds who terrorized Texas.  The big difference is that Parker eventually realized his was of life was doomed, surrendered, and became an upstanding member of the reservation in Oklahoma.

Second, as great a writer as McMurtry is, he writes the saddest endings.  After watching the last episode, I felt bad for all of the characters, most of which were dead.  if you read Streets of Laredo (spoiler alert), which is a sequel to Dove, you will discover that Newt did not fare well.

That's all.
    Interesting observation on Blue Duck.  I need to do some research on this, thanks!

I agree with your observation on McMurtry.  I LOVE Lonesome Dove but Lord watching the end always makes me sad.  I keep hoping that Woodrow would call Newt “son” at least once before turning away to take Gus back to Texas.  Then the parade of all the dead folks I like right before the end is emotional to say the least.  But, you can’t say he doesn’t get you emotionally invested into his plots!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,278 Senior Member
    I think the sad endings reflect the reality of the time. And maybe even more. The reality of human life.

LM has a dark sense of humor interwoven in his stories. A realistic touch.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,292 Senior Member
    GunNut said:

I’m starting to wean myself from Fox News.  It is the exact same news show 10 times a day.  The Prime time shows are decent entertainment but the format is getting old too.  I’m going to get a subscription to Fox Nation where at least the shows have a high production value and there’s a variety of them
    I have always watched the news...primarily Fox...about 4 months ago, we turned the TV news off completely...I haven't missed a damn thing by missing all the doom and gloom and pure fiction made to appear as fact...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,151 Senior Member
    LD is one of my favorites.  I had no idea what had happened to Newt.  I googled it, nor did I know who the story was based on.  Great info and thanks for sharing!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,951 Senior Member
    Ever occur to anyone that the entire series of events in Lonesome Dove unfolds due to the actions of one character, Jake Spoon?

Jake shot a guy in Arkansas. Which caused him to flee, ultimately finding Deets and ending up back in Lonesome Dove. As a result, he starts the idea of driving cattle to Montana. That sets off that chain of events. Taking Lori with him, then dumping her and allowing her to be kidnapped. The bar owner burned the place down and killed himself due to Lori and everyone leaving. Etc..

As a result of Jake shooting a guy in Arkansas, Sheriff Johnson is pressured into going after him. He decides to take the little boy with him. And since he left, his wife leaves to find her lover, which causes Rosco to leave to look for July. That sets up an entirely different chain of events that ends up meeting the other story line along the way.

The entire story falls apart if not for the actions of Jake Spoon... And he was hung as a result of his actions.